Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by aquajock View Post
    I agree, King Frog is a great help!!!!

This recent strain is the second time I've pulled these muscles - and it does feel like the sartorius and the adductors.... I am considering wearing an old racing suit whenever I do Br sprints because it compresses my thigh and keeps it more secure...Also this recent strain happened when I did hard leg press, adductor/abductor strength the day before sprints.
    The suit may be a good idea.As you know now,don't sprint the day after lifting.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    The suit may be a good idea.As you know now,don't sprint the day after lifting.
    Do either of you or anybody out there have a good idea for what I can use for compression other than a kneeskin? Susan, I know you suggested that idea to me when we were at Nationals, however, with my heat intolerance issues and our warm pool, training in a kneeskin would get too hot for me. I really need to keep more skin exposed to the water (and air) than what a kneeskin provides.

Obviously, I would need something waterproof; preferably something I could either wrap or slip on just my right leg.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Do either of you or anybody out there have a good idea for what I can use for compression other than a kneeskin? Susan, I know you suggested that idea to me when we were at Nationals, however, with my heat intolerance issues and our warm pool, training in a kneeskin would get too hot for me. I really need to keep more skin exposed to the water (and air) than what a kneeskin provides.

Obviously, I would need something waterproof; preferably something I could either wrap or slip on just my right leg.
    I've actually worn tight lycra shorts underneath a bikini when the water heats up here in the summer. To get some compression and plenty of breathing through the skin on the stomach! But they do change your body position...Another option - men's knee skin suit bottoms with bikini top. Could become the new rage!

Elaine, you could try something like this?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Tec-Athletics-Sleeve-Medium-18-20-Inch/dp/B000NKF3DQ/ref=sr_1_8?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1338477777&sr=1-8"]Amazon.com: Pro-Tec Athletics Thigh Sleeve: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Since they do make some in the $10-20 range, it might be worth giving a try. they're usually made with either neoprene or elastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mlabresh View Post
    Elaine, you could try something like this?
    Amazon.com: Pro-Tec Athletics Thigh Sleeve: Sports & Outdoors

Since they do make some in the $10-20 range, it might be worth giving a try. they're usually made with either neoprene or elastic.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Susan and Megan! I am going to send this out to King Frog for his opinion on this one.

K.F., what do you think of this thigh sleeve? Your is welcomed! If I used it on one leg, do you think it would make the one leg more buoyant for an uneven kick? The less material on my body the better; a kneeskin or lycra shorts would be very warm. Something like this, however, would seem better for my heat intolerance situation.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Thanks for the suggestions, Susan and Megan! I am going to send this out to King Frog for his opinion on this one.

K.F., what do you think of this thigh sleeve? Your is welcomed! If I used it on one leg, do you think it would make the one leg more buoyant for an uneven kick? The less material on my body the better; a kneeskin or lycra shorts would be very warm. Something like this, however, would seem better for my heat intolerance situation.
    I twisted my knee a few years ago and was given a neoprene knee brace by my Dr.It felt very funny swimming with it ,but I don't remember that it messed up my stroke too badly.I'd try it and see.If you think you can swim with it ,it is probably better than nothing.If you are concerned that it is altering your stroke too much,then use it for drills and wait until your leg is fine for full stroke.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Is kicking mandatory in Br?

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Is kicking mandatory in Br?
    This is from FINA: "All movements of the legs shall be simultaneous and on the same horizontal plane without alternating movement.
    SW 7.5 The feet must be turned outwards during the propulsive part of the kick. A scissors, flutter or downward butterfly kick is not permitted except as in SW 7.1. Breaking the surface of the water with the feet is allowed unless followed by a downward butterfly kick."

I take this as meaning technically you don't have to kick as long as all movements of the legs are simultaneous.
    For information on swimming breaststroke: http://breaststrokezone.com

Blog Entries

101.2.2 Stroke After the start and after each turn when the swimmer leaves the wall, the body shall be kept on the breast. It is not permitted to roll onto the back at any time. Throughout the race the stroke cycle must be one arm stroke and one leg kick in that order.
    This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha!

I twisted my knee a few years ago and was given a neoprene knee brace by my Dr.It felt very funny swimming with it ,but I don't remember that it messed up my stroke too badly.I'd try it and see.If you think you can swim with it ,it is probably better than nothing.If you are concerned that it is altering your stroke too much,then use it for drills and wait until your leg is fine for full stroke.
    That sounds like a good plan; thanks, K.F.!

I was able to do your 100 & 200 breaststroke training set on Monday and your 50's set yesterday with no problems. But, I am feeling some tightness today. So, I know it is not 100% and I will have to be careful. I'm in Athens for an LCM meet tomorrow and will be swimming the 50, 100, and 200m breaststroke, as well as 100m breaststroke in a medley relay and two non-breaststroke events. I am hoping to make it through the meet without a problem, as I did Nationals. A good warm-up and staying warm will be crucial, I know!

Perhaps getting one of those thigh sleeves would be a good idea...

That sounds like a good plan; thanks, K.F.!

I was able to do your 100 & 200 breaststroke training set on Monday and your 50's set yesterday with no problems. But, I am feeling some tightness today. So, I know it is not 100% and I will have to be careful. I'm in Athens for an LCM meet tomorrow and will be swimming the 50, 100, and 200m breaststroke, as well as 100m breaststroke in a medley relay and two non-breaststroke events. I am hoping to make it through the meet without a problem, as I did Nationals. A good warm-up and staying warm will be crucial, I know!

Perhaps getting one of those thigh sleeves would be a good idea...
    I'd say it would be a good idea.. even if it's uncomfortable to wear it while you swim, wearing it between events at the meet should help!
    ~Megan

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Common Breaststroke Mistakes: Part One
    June 4, 2012
    Analysis by Joszef Nagy

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    Common Breaststroke Mistakes: Part One
    June 4, 2012
    Analysis by Joszef Nagy
    Thanks Ande. Coach Nagy is THE guru for breaststroke.I heard a rumor that his biggest complaint about coming to America was he wasn't allowed to hit swimmers on the head with a pole when they looked forward while swimming BR as he had done in Hungary.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Thanks Ande. Coach Nagy is THE guru for breaststroke.I heard a rumor that his biggest complaint about coming to America was he wasn't allowed to hit swimmers on the head with a pole when they looked forward while swimming BR as he had done in Hungary.
    Error reduction has been my focus in breaststroke for a while now. At some point I decided that I will probably never have a feel for the stroke, so my time with it would be better spent trying to eliminate various dumb mistakes that I make. Head position, streamline position, finish the kick with feet together (even though it doesn't seem to help me go faster), trying not to let my knees drop when I breathe. I think the latter is the flip side of the same coin as Nagy's "the butt is higher than every other body part" mistake.

I still don't really know what I'm doing, but my breaststroke times have been improving.

For some reason I thought I needed to keep my butt high so it was nice to be reminded that you can overdo it. I do wish Nagy spent even a little more time explaining each of his points. Is he saying to hold your streamline after each stroke for .2 of a second (at least in the 200)?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

you're welcome
    too funny

we gotta keep our heads down when we're gliding.
    I have a buddy who just can't correct that

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

5-part series of articles exclusively on SwimmingWorld.com detailing the most common mistakes swimmers make in breaststroke, as seen through the eyes of noted coach Joszef Nagy.

Common Breaststroke Mistakes:

Part One: the Glide / Base Position.
    June 4, 2012

Part Two: the Kick
    June 5, 2012

Part Three: The Pull
    June 6, 2012

Part Four: the underwater pull and head position

Part 5:
    Last edited by ande; June 7th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

Blog Entries

Here is my br kick problem:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfXuzdAe8Zs

I am guessing you swim lots or free and/or fly. This gets you used to kicking the water with the top of your feet. In breaststroke, you need to push the water with the inside of your foot. To do this you tibialis anterior (shin) need to flex and your toes need to point outwards.

The second thing I notice is that your knees point outwards. This is a common problem and you need to get your feet to kick outside of your knees. Currently your knees are outside your feet. To overcome this I would do breaststroke kick on your back whilst keeping you knees together.

Maybe check this out http://breaststrokezone.com/breaststroke-kick
    For information on swimming breaststroke: http://breaststrokezone.com

An adult swimmer I know had this issue (she just could not feel that her feet were not turning out and kicking heel first). She bought some breaststroke fins and used them (carefully) and now her kick is totally legal.

Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast