Thread: Swimming at Disney World

Swimming at Disney World

What are your favorite lap pools (or pools decent enough to swim some laps in) in Disney World? Obviously you would need to swim early in the morning when it's quiet but that's not a problem. My parents have a DVC membership they are going to let us use so I am most interested in staying at a DVC resort. It looks like the only Disney Hotel with a lap pool is Coronado Springs. The Dolphin & Swan which are on Disney property also appear to have lap pools. While those three might be options for us to pay out of pocket, they don't work with my parents DVC membership. They have priority at Animal Kingdom.

Lets go ahead and list out the lap quality of any of the Disney area pools you have stayed at since I'm pretty limited in my (actually pretty awesome) choices but I could see this thread being useful for anyone else planning a trip. While I've looked at Disney boards in the past for this information, no one else quite understands lap swimming like other Master's Swimmers.

Typically, I wouldn't care so much about getting swimming in during a fun filled, active vacation like this but I am planning to do a 10K swim next summer and I really don't want to let my time in the pool drop below 10,000 yards even on an off week next spring. I will plan an off week around this trip, so it doesn't affect things too much. 10,000 yards would be like spending 45 minutes in the pool 4 times.

My husband keeps joking I should just swim in Lake Buena Vista and race the alligators (yes, we both know it's not only not allowed but unsafe).
    Last edited by m2tall2; September 5th, 2016 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Can't Do Math.

Blog Entries

Re: Swimming at Disney World

If you've got the time and a car, I'd recommend getting out of Disney and going to the YMCA Aquatic Center - http://aquaticcenterymca.com/. It's a great facility and you might get long course options. Roughly 20 minutes from Disney World, depending upon where you're staying.

I'll reply to my own thread with the couple places I have had the opportunity to stay at.

The Wilderness Lodge Hotel Pool had a bit too awkward of a shape and while nice was on the smaller side for any useful laps.
    The Contemporary Hotel Pool was similar to the Wilderness Lodge pool.
    The Bay Lake Towers pool had a nice straightaway in their L shaped pool that was ok for laps minus the really shallow end where open turns and no underwaters were necessary. Can't be used for laps while the slide is in use, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    If you've got the time and a car, I'd recommend getting out of Disney and going to the YMCA Aquatic Center - http://aquaticcenterymca.com/. It's a great facility and you might get long course options. Roughly 20 minutes from Disney World, depending upon where you're staying.
    This is a possibility - especially since I am a Y member AND employee. I'll look into their reciprocal membership details. I wonder how flexible they are given their proximity to such a huge tourist area.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Hey, M! Sorry I have nothing to contribute to your thread, but give Mickey a big for me, ok? Good luck with your training, and keep us posted on your progress, ok? I'll look forward to hearing about your 10K success next summer!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by m2tall2 View Post
    This is a possibility - especially since I am a Y member AND employee. I'll look into their reciprocal membership details. I wonder how flexible they are given their proximity to such a huge tourist area.
    I'm not a Y member and I dropped in there back in 2014, the last time I was in Orlando. I can't recall the specific fee, but, as I didn't note it in my blog, it had to be less than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey, M! Sorry I have nothing to contribute to your thread, but give Mickey a big for me, ok? Good luck with your training, and keep us posted on your progress, ok? I'll look forward to hearing about your 10K success next summer!
    Thanks Elaine! I might start a blog. I'm actually excited for the training. Which is how it should be but more so than normal. Seems like while there is some information out there on long distance swimming, there's really not a lot of practical information.
    I think I may be able to get away with only having to do 3 swim sessions while down there.
    Will definitely hug Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    I'm not a Y member and I dropped in there back in 2014, the last time I was in Orlando. I can't recall the specific fee, but, as I didn't note it in my blog, it had to be less than $10.
    That's great! That's really helpful. I looked them up and it looks like they do honor reciprocal memberships so now I just have to work out the transportation.

If you're planning to come in October, you should check out the Rowdy Gaines Classic! This is an incredible Masters meet and this year will be the 8th year of the event from October 7th-9th. It takes place at the YMCA Aquatic Center (which I'd agree you should definitely check out while you're there). Here is the website in case you're interested: http://rowdygainesmastersclassic.com/

Have fun in Orlando!

If the Y transportation plan doesn't work out, I've stayed in the Port Orleans - Riverside resort complex a couple of times. The pools are completely irregularly shaped, but using my standard stroke count I did chart a 25 yard course across a curvy pool and about a 25m course in a larger pool with waterpark features. Flip turns on curved walls from an angle are a challenge, but I was still able to get in good workouts as long as I chose early in the morning (about 6:30 a.m.) to do them.

Participating Member

Coronado Springs has a 25m pool with straight lines on the bottom, but no lane lines. This wasn't really a problem, since I only saw one other person there at 7am. The pool was quite warm when we visited in June.

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

Another possibility, if you have transportation, is Lucky's Lake Swim:

http://www.luckyslakeswim.com/

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

here's the best place to swim at Disney
    Typhoon Lagoon Wave pool

Here's your work out:

get in pool when it's launching big waves every 90 seconds

Swim easy out as far as you can until you're by the ropes

then turn around and point towards the shore and wait for a wave
    ( also make sure you have a lane, look to see if any other swimmers are directly down from you, where you could run into them & shift so no one is in your way )

When you hear the WHOOMP and see a big wave coming your way

Sprint until the wave catches you then
    body surf to the red line and tumble out then

REPEAT

You're welcome
    Last edited by ande; September 13th, 2016 at 12:24 PM.

That's a great looking workout, Ande! Thanks! I will plan to do that. We are going to stay at the Animal Kingdom Villas...the pictures of the lodge pool look promising. But mostly we picked it out of convenience with their timeshare points. Since we're at an off the beaten path resort, we probably will rent a car, so I can get to the Y, too. And I'm planning much more leisurely days with plenty of pool or waterpark time. I'll let you know how it all turns out when we go - I'll post a pool/workout review sometime in April and let you know how it went.

Blog Entries

While the Yacht and Beach club doesn't have a lap pool, there is Storm Along Bay that has a lazy river. I've swam against the current there for some good workouts in the past. I'll check Pop Century when I'm there for the Rowdy Gains meet in a couple weeks.

Just remember most pools now have a locking gate that you need to have a magic band to open, this is Disney's way of making sure you are staying at that resort. So if your at Animal Kingdom Lodge you most likely won't be able to pool hop.

There is a six lane indoor pool at Celebration Hospital/ Health Care. It can be on the warm side since it is used for physical therapy but it's generally empty. And the nicest locker room you'll have anywhere.

Patrick, it's you! Where have you been? Bruce and I look for you at all the meets, and we wonder how you have been doing. How are you? Send me a PM if you prefer!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Patrick, it's you! Where have you been? Bruce and I look for you at all the meets, and we wonder how you have been doing. How are you? Send me a PM if you prefer!
    Hey Elaine and Bruce -yep it's me. Trying to get past a very sore left knee. Not a specific injury other than age, but it particularly hurts in backstroke 😥. I'm aiming to swim at Auburn if they have their February meet and hopefully LCNats in Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickJM View Post
    Hey Elaine and Bruce -yep it's me. Trying to get past a very sore left knee. Not a specific injury other than age, but it particularly hurts in backstroke . I'm aiming to swim at Auburn if they have their February meet and hopefully LCNats in Minneapolis.
    (Sorry, folks)

I can't make it to Auburn (scheduling conflict
    ); however, I will be going to Minneapolis! I already have my room booked at Crowne Plaza Northstar (USMS has rooms there for $129), and Bruce will be joining me. We're hittin' the road around the area for six days after Nats, and then we'll board the American Queen Steamboat for a 23-Day cruise down the Mississippi. We're making a trip out of it!

Good luck with your knee, and if I don't see you before August, I'll see you in Minneapolis! Perhaps we'll find another guy and gal for a relay!