Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snorkel use

Blog Entries

Snorkel use

Our coach doesn't give specific times or workouts to use the snorkel. I love mine but I'm not sure when it's the best time to use it? I have been using it at the end in the pull sets but can it be effectively used in main cardio focused sets?

Re: Snorkel use

Use of snorkel on occasional basis cannot be as effective as it should be. Its use must be planned, just like you plan what drills you perform in the water and for how long . You must discuss it with your coach and arrange some specific schedule for its use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Varna01 View Post
    Use of snorkel on occasional basis cannot be as effective as it should be. Its use must be planned, just like you plan what drills you perform in the water and for how long . You must discuss it with your coach and arrange some specific schedule for its use.
    Okay but I don't have that kind of coach..so I wondered when is best, when does your coach use it, for example.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by magick17 View Post
    can it be effectively used in main cardio focused sets?
    Yes, I use mine during main sets all the time. I'd say any time you aren't really cranking it is a good time to use a snorkel.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Yes, I use mine during main sets all the time. I'd say any time you aren't really cranking it is a good time to use a snorkel.
    Kirk, can you tell me some good things to focus on when wearing a snorkel? Evenness in my stroke and rotation? Entry and catch?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    Kirk, can you tell me some good things to focus on when wearing a snorkel? Evenness in my stroke and rotation? Entry and catch?
    Nowadays I use mine primarily to even out my stroke. I like to always breathe to the right and that introduces some asymmetry I'd like to eliminate. That's really all I'm concerned about when I use a snorkel. I'm at the point now where it does not slow me down at a normal aerobic pace.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

I did a triathlon 2 weeks ago and there was guy in my wave racing with a snorkel.

I just use mine to swim down with, focusing on good technique.

Nowadays I use mine primarily to even out my stroke. I like to always breathe to the right and that introduces some asymmetry I'd like to eliminate. That's really all I'm concerned about when I use a snorkel. I'm at the point now where it does not slow me down at a normal aerobic pace.
    Thanks Kirk. I was wondering if I should use it for the same purpose. I always breathe left and I can feel the asymmetry and have been working on it. I "won" a snorkel at Lake Del Valle this year. They were giving away prizes to random people and they gave me a FINIS swim snorkel like this one: http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/finis-sw...-snorkel-1221/

I've not yet used it, primarily because I was unsure about its purpose, but I was excited to try it when I got it in June

And thanks for the feedback Kurt, about using yours to swim down.

Quote Originally Posted by magick17 View Post
    Okay but I don't have that kind of coach..so I wondered when is best, when does your coach use it, for example.
    There is no decisive solution on when is best. You must have a training program. Snorkel mostly shall help you to improve your aerobic capacity, so based on that goal you must have some sets and for an example if you swim free with the snorkel you can use it in those days when you don't swim a lot of freestyle. Usually coaches here allow its use for not more that 15-20 and mostly in the second half of your training session.
    Hope this helps!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmlr38 View Post
    I've not yet used it, primarily because I was unsure about its purpose, but I was excited to try it when I got it in June
    Give it a try sometime in warmup or something relaxed because there is definitely a learning curve. I can pretty much guarantee you'll be convinced you're going to drown the first time you try it!

Blog Entries

I mostly use mine during warmups. I'll swim 1-200 to get the blood moving, then swim 2-300 with the snorkel to really get my stroke in order - check it out so that it's exactly right, then I ditch it again afterwards. I use it mainly to help stroke check before getting into main sets.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Give it a try sometime in warmup or something relaxed because there is definitely a learning curve. I can pretty much guarantee you'll be convinced you're going to drown the first time you try it!
    Hah, OK, I'll certainly keep that in mind!!

I use my snorkel for much of my warm up. With the snorkel I can go very slow if I want to to really concentrate on a particular movement.I also use it any time I am swimming freestyle at 200 pace or slower. I have twitchy shoulders and having the snorkel helps me keep balanced so I have less shoulder pain. I use it for all my kick sets as the body position is more like swimming than with a kick board is.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

I use it (when I actually swim) and write it in to every workout.

One thing I really like it for is power work...fins/paddles/snorkel doing reps on a power rack or bungee for example. IMHO I see to many people using it at low speed, doing drills, warming up/down, etc. and missing out on the conditioning effect you can get by using in speed work.
    I crack myself up. It is jealousy. It is Boredom. I Did not accomplish enough when I was young, and I hate anybody faster/younger than me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    I see to many people using it at low speed, doing drills, warming up/down, etc. and missing out on the conditioning effect you can get by using in speed work.
    Good point, Paul.

There is one major negative to snorkel use and it's that you can't see the clock (unless you've got a Pace Pal).

Blog Entries

I have trouble keeping the snorkel straight at faster speeds off the wall. Does anyone have feedback with the new speedo sprint design yet?

As with any swim tool, snorkels can be useful training aids, so long as they are used for a specific purpose and do not turn into a crutch. For example, you can work on your early vertical forearm using a snorkel:

However, it is important to keep in mind that overuse of the snorkel limits swimmers' ability to develop and maintain the proper timing of the breath, and a breathing pattern.

I have used it when scuba diving, but not in the pool. I guess I need to work this into my swims.

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I have trouble keeping the snorkel straight at faster speeds off the wall. Does anyone have feedback with the new speedo sprint design yet?
    I've had this same problem and figured out that it is happening mostly when my streamline is a bit "loose" coming off the wall. When I focus on having my arms very tight against my head and not opening up until I initiate my 1st stroke then it will stay straight.
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poolraat View Post
    I've had this same problem and figured out that it is happening mostly when my streamline is a bit "loose" coming off the wall. When I focus on having my arms very tight against my head and not opening up until I initiate my 1st stroke then it will stay straight.

thanks, I do have trouble keeping my arms tight to my head off the wall. Maybe that is the reason

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    I did a triathlon 2 weeks ago and there was guy in my wave racing with a snorkel.
    On the other hand, when not racing, and using a pair of fins, goggles, and a snorkel, a swimmer can quickly find all of the best coral reef areas within 1 km of beach in a few hours.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast