Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    I've been to many clinics ti improve my stroke - I think that you that are good at it are born into it!
    I agree that it is probably a bit genetic. Out of seven kids in our family, six of us swam competitively, at least for four or five years, and all of us were best at Breaststroke, although the coaches thought my youngest sister would be a Backstroker. My feet turn out when my knees are straight.

If I wasn't so lazy, I might do some of those drills and maybe get close to being as fast as Allen, which I was in the mid 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by TRYM_Swimmer View Post
    I agree that it is probably a bit genetic. Out of seven kids in our family, six of us swam competitively, at least for four or five years, and all of us were best at Breaststroke, although the coaches thought my youngest sister would be a Backstroker. My feet turn out when my knees are straight..
    I do think there is something about genetic hip and leg flexibility that helps with breaststroke. As a natural breaststroke swimmer, I could never comfortably sit "Indian Style" (now more politically correctly called "criss-cross-applesauce") as a kid. I found it much more comfortable to sit with my feet out to the sides (breaststroke style). My oldest son is a natural breaststroke swimmer and when he lays down on his back his feet fall completely flat pointing outward toward the walls.

That said, neither of us can kick freestyle worth a damn. And, I once had a swim coach tell me my "breaststroker" running form was the ugliest he'd ever seen.

Very Active Member Thrashing Slug's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424 View Post
    I suppose I have some work to do .... I took this from my camera phone about 5 minutes ago.
    Based on that stretch it would seem that I am genetically predisposed to breaststroke. See picture 1. Before you get jealous though, check out picture 2, which shows the bane of my swimming existence - a total lack of ankle flexibility in the other 3 strokes. It may look like my foot is just casually resting there, but in fact I am straining as hard as I can to point my toe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	23.6 KB 
ID:	2336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FR.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	2337  
    -
    "The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -- Bruce Lee

Very Active Member philoswimmer's Avatar

Wow... following this discussion I wonder whether breastrokers should try to take up ballet, which would work on the turning-out flexibility as well as the toe pointing flexibility.

I(however, if I'm going to attempt to beat Elaine, I need all the help I can get!)
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by philoswimmer View Post
    Congrats on the great improvement, Elaine -- that's awesome!
    Thanks, Philo! I appreciate it!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    While stroke count is important it is not nearly as important as speed.The 2 problems with fast turnover are fatigue and stroke inefficiency(spinning your wheels.)
    To increase DPS work on REALLY streamlining your arms during your kick.Each stroke squeeze your biceps against your head.While there is no real glide in the 50,you want to make sure you get into streamline for every kick.Also do the drills to eliminate dead spots and the 1,2,3,sec drills.Good job though,great time drops
    Good news to report, Allen: Today, I did my timed 200 breaststroke, after warm-up, like always, REALLY concentrating on my streamline, as you suggested. I did a PB of 3:20 from a push off (Sunday's PB from the blocks was 3:20.44). I'm getting there! My next goal is 3:16.89, so I can make it to the "A" category on the SCY Motivational Chart.

I know I could just google this - but I'd rather hear it from the "master of breast stroke" as you've been called... What are some great exercises I can do at my desk while @ work to help work on my ankle flexibility? My understanding is that this will increase my abilities in all strokes and not just breast stroke (however, if I'm going to attempt to beat Elaine, I need all the help I can get!)
    Here is a great video I grabbed from the Swim Myth #9 thread:
    http://www.goswim.tv/entries/3959/dr...exercises.html

I had a serious case of tarsal tunnel syndrome, a few years ago, so I started doing these same exercises (learned from another source). They are awesome for ankle flexibility, as well as foot problems!

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Here is a great video I grabbed from the Swim Myth #9 thread:

I had a serious case of tarsal tunnel syndrome, a few years ago, so I started doing these same exercises (learned from another source). They are awesome for ankle flexibility, as well as foot problems!
    Unfortunately - Copy and paste is kind of weak here:
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Unfortunately - Copy and paste is kind of weak here:
    Thanks! I should have done it that way, as well...

I said I like drills that make me concentrate and this one really does.
    Swim BR,first stroke kick left leg only,next stroke kick right leg only,third stroke both legs,repeat.Focusing on one leg at a time makes it easier to work on leg position,but also you have to really focus on timing or it falls apart.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

There is some truth to that in that the ankle flexibility needed for optimal BR probably has some genetic component and is pretty much the opposite for what is optimal for the other strokes.
    This is something I wonder about.

Like many on this thread, I am a "natural" breaststroker, with a good BR kick and lousy ankle extension. My BR kick is much faster than my flutter kick. I'm considering working seriously on my ankle flexibility in order to improve my freestyle kick. If I do, will it hurt my breaststroke? Or is it possible to improve in one without damaging the other?

Very Active Member philoswimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sjstuart View Post

Like many on this thread, I am a "natural" breaststroker, with a good BR kick and lousy ankle extension. My BR kick is much faster than my flutter kick. I'm considering working seriously on my ankle flexibility in order to improve my freestyle kick. If I do, will it hurt my breaststroke? Or is it possible to improve in one without damaging the other?
    Good question. Am I unusual here in just being a good kicker, period? (as compared to people who swim at the same speed as me, and as compared to my pulling).

Very Active Member Thrashing Slug's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjstuart View Post

Nope. Based on my experience with stretching every day and using The Rack, I can say unequivocally that improving flutter kick flexibility will not hurt your breaststroke flexibility.
    -
    "The consciousness of self is the greatest hindrance to the proper execution of all physical action." -- Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashing Slug View Post
    Nope. Based on my experience with stretching every day and using The Rack, I can say unequivocally that improving flutter kick flexibility will not hurt your breaststroke flexibility.
    I think that is true.
    Also-next drill
    This is one of my favorites
    BR kick on your back.Tilt your chin down a little so you can watch your legs.Your knees shouldn't break the surface and you can see if your knees get too far apart.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashing Slug View Post
    Based on my experience with stretching every day and using The Rack, I can say unequivocally that improving flutter kick flexibility will not hurt your breaststroke flexibility.
    Good to know.

I have a Rack, too, but keep finding excuses not to actually use it. Strike one excuse off the list.

I think that is true.
    Also-next drill
    BR kick on your back.Tilt your chin down a little so you can watch your legs.Your knees shouldn't break the surface and you can see if your knees get too far apart.
    This is a great one; I do it all the time! If I may add to it... Keep your arms straight to the side of each leg and make sure the back of your ankles will fit between your thumbs (which are next to your thighs) and your index fingers. Your knees should be 2 fists apart for this drill. The idea behind the ankles to hands part is to make sure you are keeping your kick narrow enough.

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

I think that is true.
    Also-next drill
    I do that one, as I saw it mentioned a number of years ago as a way to keep your knees together.

Hey there, fellow frogs!

I would appreciate it greatly if you would take a look at the following clips and provide constructive criticism of my breaststroke. In one, I'm swimming at a slower pace than the other. (Of course, neither are exactly fast when you're a newbie like me. )
    Allen, I would especially appreciate your feedback, since I have been trying to put your great tips to use in my stroke. Unfortunately, I think this is about as streamline as I can get my arms...

Thank you very much!

Cheers!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVel8ksBy2k"]YouTube- ElaineK-Breaststroke2.MOV[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W5zkzfbwpE"]YouTube- ElaineK-Breaststroke.MOV[/nomedia]

It looks like a nice tight , quick kick to me. I would like mine to look like that.

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast