Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1189

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    Hey, here's an idea! Instead of seeing how outlandish we can make breaststroke rules, how about a return to what the stroke is supposed to be about? No dolphin kick allowed anywhere at any point in the race.
    +1!!! (Missed the quote)

Yes, yes, yes!

Wow this is a long thread... apologies if this has been answered before;
    During the glide (streamline) can your hands be one on top of the other, or do the need to be side by side?

Very Active Member robertsrobson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swimark View Post
    During the glide (streamline) can your hands be one on top of the other, or do the need to be side by side?
    Pretty sure that's fine. I guess the trade off is that it might be harder to catch the water evenly at the end of the glide...

It seems that swimmers are gliding more especially in the 200, and was wondering if hand on hand would be beneficial and\or legal.

Quote Originally Posted by swimark View Post
    A swimmer I respect said that it should be illegal to have one hand on the other because then the movement was not symmetrical.A referee friend told me she thought it was legal.I don't think it offers much if any advantage over hands together as long as you really extend forward with your biceps pressed against your ears.The bigger problem is keeping your arms parallel to the water surface and not angled down.If you have your hands overlapping it will slightly slow the time to getting your hands into a propulsive position, which I suspect will negate any advantage of streamlining,but YMMV.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Also,yes this is a long thread,much longer than the other "lane"threads.I don't know if that is something to brag about,but WooooHooo Breaststroke
    Allen

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Also,yes this is a long thread,much longer than the other "lane"threads.I don't know if that is something to brag about,but WooooHooo Breaststroke
    Not sure if ElaineK had anything to do with this one.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Not sure if ElaineK had anything to do with this one.
    Who, me??? I couldn't have possibly asked that many questions, posted that many videos, made that many comments, or... Could I?

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

I recently had a lap buddy analyze my breast stroke&kick-she is a coach, and I trust heradvice-and her input was surprising. My kick is not wide-so that is good-andit's from the knees...but she mentioned trying to kick downward at the end ofthe kick,kinda like finishing with a dolphin. I thought that was strange, but Itried it-surprisingly all kinds of muscles hurt the next day that must hardlyever get worked when I kicked before! It feels awkward to complete the kick inthat way,but I can feel it giving more propulsion then the traditional inward sweep. Is this even legal in competition?

Yes, finishing your breaststroke kick downward is legal. Some swimmers kick straight back and others kick downward. If you watch the video at the address below you can see how much the breaststroke kick can made to also incorporate a dolphin motion. The swimmer is Yulia Efimova. She took a Bronze at the London Olympics in the 200M Breast. I coach a Masters Swimming team and have several swimmers who loved butterfly but hated breaststroke. After having them watching this video I was able to get them to think about breaststroke as swimming fly but recovering inside rather than outside. Now most of them love to swim breaststroke (because they feel like they are swimming fly!)

Quote Originally Posted by 2fish&1whale View Post
    I recently had a lap buddy analyze my breast stroke&kick-she is a coach, and I trust heradvice-and her input was surprising. My kick is not wide-so that is good-andit's from the knees...but she mentioned trying to kick downward at the end ofthe kick,kinda like finishing with a dolphin. I thought that was strange, but Itried it-surprisingly all kinds of muscles hurt the next day that must hardlyever get worked when I kicked before! It feels awkward to complete the kick inthat way,but I can feel it giving more propulsion then the traditional inward sweep. Is this even legal in competition?
    It is legal as long as the downward motion is still part of the kick.You are trading a little forward vector for higher hips and better undulation and that may be a good trade for you YMMV.If you have completed the BR kick and then kick down that maybe an illegal downward dolphin kick.If it is part of the BR kick motion it's OK,if after then no.
    Allen

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    Yes, finishing your breaststroke kick downward is legal. Some swimmers kick straight back and others kick downward. If you watch the video at the address below you can see how much the breaststroke kick can made to also incorporate a dolphin motion. The swimmer is Yulia Efimova. She took a Bronze at the London Olympics in the 200M Breast. I coach a Masters Swimming team and have several swimmers who loved butterfly but hated breaststroke. After having them watching this video I was able to get them to think about breaststroke as swimming fly but recovering inside rather than outside. Now most of them love to swim breaststroke (because they feel like they are swimming fly!)

Thank you so much for that video!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Also found this UW footage of Cordes

Last edited by __steve__; April 17th, 2013 at 09:55 AM.

So I got DQ'd from my BR again at our zone meet.

I think (I hope) that it was my start that did it. My husband said my kick looked good and he didn't see any reason for me to have been DQ'd. But I remember that on my start, after diving in, when I went to do my kick after the pull down my feet came out of the water a bit and I think it probably made it look like I did a dolphin kick. But I don't know. I just remember thinking, as I started swimming, 'that start SUCKED'. Oh well. I hadn't had any practice on starts and usually when we would practice them with the kids' team (which ended in February), we'd almost always do freestyle starts. So I felt a little disoriented on my start. I dove in, hesitated and thought 'wait, what do I do now? oh yeah! pull down!' and I think in that moment of hesitation, I may have floated up a bit?

Anyway. I have another meet this Saturday. A friend from the kids' team (who babysat for us during zones) said 'maybe you should give up breaststroke.' Of course, I said 'no way! I'm going to get this right!'

This meet is not a pay-per-race meet, so I went all out with a full 5 races. 50 FL, 50 FR, 50 BR, 100 FR, and 400 FR. Hopefully I don't get any more DQ's.
    ~Megan

Quote Originally Posted by mlabresh View Post
    So I got DQ'd from my BR again at our zone meet.

I think (I hope) that it was my start that did it. My husband said my kick looked good and he didn't see any reason for me to have been DQ'd. But I remember that on my start, after diving in, when I went to do my kick after the pull down my feet came out of the water a bit and I think it probably made it look like I did a dolphin kick. But I don't know. I just remember thinking, as I started swimming, 'that start SUCKED'. Oh well. I hadn't had any practice on starts and usually when we would practice them with the kids' team (which ended in February), we'd almost always do freestyle starts. So I felt a little disoriented on my start. I dove in, hesitated and thought 'wait, what do I do now? oh yeah! pull down!' and I think in that moment of hesitation, I may have floated up a bit?

Anyway. I have another meet this Saturday. A friend from the kids' team (who babysat for us during zones) said 'maybe you should give up breaststroke.' Of course, I said 'no way! I'm going to get this right!'

This meet is not a pay-per-race meet, so I went all out with a full 5 races. 50 FL, 50 FR, 50 BR, 100 FR, and 400 FR. Hopefully I don't get any more DQ's.
    The referee should be able to tell you why you were DQd.Then if you think that isn't what you did ,you can protest.I had one DQ overturned after I explained what I thought I did vs what they thought they saw.
    Allen

Spends Too Much Time Here Iwannafly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ahhhh, breaststroke - the only stroke other than free at which I am remotely competent! :-)

Very Active Member

PHew... atleast you didn't do an extra dolphin kick covered by the splash... oh wait... they don't DQ for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    The referee should be able to tell you why you were DQd.Then if you think that isn't what you did ,you can protest.I had one DQ overturned after I explained what I thought I did vs what they thought they saw.
    Good to know! I didn't realize you could argue a DQ.

Quote Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
    PHew... atleast you didn't do an extra dolphin kick covered by the splash... oh wait... they don't DQ for that.
    seriously. but make sure your feet are turned out enough on your kick! I got DQ'd twice at Nationals last summer and they said 'your right foot wasn't turned out enough'. my coach felt they were overly picky... but I DID have kind of a screwy kick. he had a swimmer in the trials last summer from his age group team doing breaststroke and she got a DQ in prelims.
    ~Megan

Very Active Member

So when you kick normally are your feet coming out of the water?

Page 51 of 60 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast