Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1168

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Really surprised - and pleasantly so. A victory for true breaststroke swimmers. Now we need better officiating.

I am stunned.FINA actually did the right thing.They even voted to allow mixed relays.Who are these people and what have they done with the real FINA representative.2 good decisions in a row,wow.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I am stunned.FINA actually did the right thing.They even voted to allow mixed relays.Who are these people and what have they done with the real FINA representative.2 good decisions in a row,wow.
    I'm sure Woofus B. Loofus will agree with you on this BIG time! Woofus? Are you out there?
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Thank goodness on BR rules. As for mixed relays, my guess is they would be as wildly popular for everyone (swimmers, spectators) at Worlds and Olympics as they are at USMS meets.

Quote Originally Posted by Woofus B. Loofus View Post
    Thank goodness on BR rules. As for mixed relays, my guess is they would be as wildly popular for everyone (swimmers, spectators) at Worlds and Olympics as they are at USMS meets.
    I knew you would have something to say about this!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I understand that this may have been difficult to implement at all "International" meets,but it seems to me that if you just use the cameras at Worlds and the Olympics that would be enough.Most elite swimmwers would be smart enough to realize that they had better not practice something that would get them DQd when it mattered most.
    Allen

I understand that this may have been difficult to implement at all "International" meets,but it seems to me that if you just use the cameras at Worlds and the Olympics that would be enough.Most elite swimmwers would be smart enough to realize that they had better not practice something that would get them DQd when it mattered most.
    Agree 100%

Very Active Member TRYM_Swimmer's Avatar

+2

They should just do it on the down low. In other words, have somebody looking at the starts from the underwater cam regardless who can signal to the judges to call the DQ. It's not like the cheaters can object because the video will clearly show they cheated. What are they going to say? It wasn't fair that the officials were secretly using video? They cheated!

Watching the breaststrokers from Worlds at Barcelona it was really impressive how fast the top swimmers were getting into streamline from the arm recovery.All of them were really good at getting their upper body totally streamlined before the power phase of the kick.Getting quickly into that streamline is something we all should work on.
    Allen

I think I got my frogs legs back! (This is a "Swim Happy", but I thought I would post it here, since it partially has to do with breaststroke kick technique.)

Thanks to my physical therapist, the dry needling sessions to release trigger points in my right thigh are really paying off. My muscles are finally moving the way they are supposed to move and I am getting my strength back.

When I returned from Nationals, my 25 yard breaststroke sprints from a push off were coming in at :22-23 on 12 strokes; the same miserable results I was getting prior to Nationals when I couldn't get a good squeeze on the kick. For several months, I had been off my average :21 on 11 strokes. It had been almost two years since I went :20 on any stroke count.

Last week, I had two successful therapy sessions. And, yesterday, on Allen's sprint 25's breaststroke set, I landed my last three at :21 on 11 strokes.

Today, I trained with my coach and he threw in a speed set in the middle of the mix. Out of the six breaststroke sprints I did in the choice/free set, four came in at :21 on 11 strokes and the last two were :20 on 11 strokes!

Now, for the technique part of it: Both my coach and Rob Butcher had suggested I allow my knees to come up just slightly more under me to get more power on my kick. This was contradictory to what King Frog and Cokie Lipinski had taught me and something I did drills on to avoid. I decided to give it a try, however, figuring my times at Nationals were so bad from my injuries that I had nothing to lose. The gain in power would make up for the drag created by my knees, so I was told.

Mike and Rob were right! Not only do I have more power in my kick; my right foot is staying underwater better, rather than catching air. (My kick is crooked due to my right-tilted pelvis that raises my right leg higher in the water.)

Next up on the swim agenda: Restrain myself from listening to those on the Forums who advocate training more (high-quality) yardage to improve speed. Yeah, that's great for you studs and studettes out there with injury-free bodies and great genes, but I learned my lesson: Less is more for a genetically inferior body like mine that breaks down easily and spontaneously dislocates sternoclavicular joints and floating ribs!

I have revised my Go the Distance goal from 475 to 425 for the year and am now taking Wednesdays off (instead of Sundays), to rest in between my two biggest yardage (and toughest) days training with my coach as my partner. Fridays are now recovery days, something I had never done except for a day following a swim meet.

My goal is to swim for life. If I am fortunate enough to live as long as my teammate, Ann Dunivin (96) or Nationals star Rita Simonton (95), then I want to grow up to be just like them. If I end up swimming slower as a result of scaled back training and a revised freestyle technique, so be it. All my increase in yardage got me was more injuries and slower times, anyway, even though I was swimming with proper stroke technique.

On freestyle, I have switched to scapular plane technique and my sprint times are back to what they were with a high elbow recovery. Life is good!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Glad to hear those frog legs decided to kick again. I am 100% same boat for quantity and understand. Though being able to withstand loads of high output stress, my arms would fall off if I swam over 2500M in a workout. I'm still under 200 miles this year and making progress, hundreths of a second at a time.

Keep up your frogress (progress)

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    Glad to hear those frog legs decided to kick again. I am 100% same boat for quantity and understand. Though being able to withstand loads of high output stress, my arms would fall off if I swam over 2500M in a workout. I'm still under 200 miles this year and making progress, hundreths of a second at a time.

Keep up your frogress (progress)

Thanks, Steve!

It's nice to hear a positive story about progress being made without having to swim mega yardage workouts. Thanks for sharing that!

For me, the trouble began when I was told I was better suited as a distance swimmer. To improve in distance events, though, I was told I needed to up my yardage. Taking it to heart was when my troubles began...

For many people, the advice I received is good advice and makes sense. But, for me, it didn't turn out well. My body just can't take that kind of volume.

Instead, I have decided to scale back on volume and not worry about improving my times on distance events. Breaststroke is still my best stroke, so I will train for the 50, 100, and 200. 50 backstroke has become my other best event, so I will train and compete in that event, as well, because I really enjoy it.

I also enjoy 400 IM, 200 Fly, and long distance freestyle, however, I plan on competing in those events just for fun. If I keep trying to train specifically for them, I will end up a wreck.

Everything in BR is a trade off between power and streamlining.If you go faster with more bending at the hip go for it.The trick is to bring your knees up very late,just before the kick to minimize resistance until the last possible instant.Kevin Cordes does this very well.
    Allen

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Cordes velocity plot must be extreem on both sides.

Everything in BR is a trade off between power and streamlining.If you go faster with more bending at the hip go for it.The trick is to bring your knees up very late,just before the kick to minimize resistance until the last possible instant.Kevin Cordes does this very well.

I have been working on bending my knees and bringing my feet up as usual, and then putting a little more bend at the hip right before kicking back.

Here is some good underwater footage of Kevin Cordes:

Hello, friends and frogs! I need some input from some of you who may be in the same position I am in currently. (I am also posting this in Leslie's HIT forum.) I was in a car accident June 7, then my 91 year old mom was seriously ill essentially the entire summer. Both of these situations led to my NOT swimming AT ALL this summer. I finally had MRI and orthopedic surgeon evaluate my hurting left shoulder, a result of the car accident. I had shoulder surgery on my RIGHT shoulder TEN years ago (no tear, just reconstruction of a very used, shredded joint!), so I'm familiar with pain and surgery and a LONG rehab.

Anyway, while the pain from swimming was too much for me to bear earlier in the summer, and after 4 weeks of PT to strengthen scapular area, I tried swimming - gently - about 10 days ago. I was pleasantly surprised by the absence of pain. Now, it's just minor discomfort and the longer I swim, the better my shoulder feels.

The MRI report says that I have “tentinopathy of the supraspinatus infraspinatus and subscapularis. I also have arthritis of the acromioclavicular joint. Last finding is mild subchondral cysticv formation of the less tuberboisty of the humerus.”

I know that I will not opt for surgery at this time, since the discomfort is so manageable now. I have resumed swimming, taking it very easy right now with hopes of training for competition.

Anyone else out there have or had a similar condition? What measures did you take to overcome this?

I had such a great year of competition 2012-2013 SCY that I am hot to trot to get back into training and shape, despite my 3 month hiatus. I'm looking for advice on handling this obstacle. I know that I will not opt for surgery at this time, since the discomfort is so minimal (relatively speaking).

Quote Originally Posted by melinda View Post
    Hello, friends and frogs! I need some input from some of you who may be in the same position I am in currently. (I am also posting this in Leslie's HIT forum.) I was in a car accident June 7, then my 91 year old mom was seriously ill essentially the entire summer. Both of these situations led to my NOT swimming AT ALL this summer. I finally had MRI and orthopedic surgeon evaluate my hurting left shoulder, a result of the car accident. I had shoulder surgery on my RIGHT shoulder TEN years ago (no tear, just reconstruction of a very used, shredded joint!), so I'm familiar with pain and surgery and a LONG rehab.

Anyway, while the pain from swimming was too much for me to bear earlier in the summer, and after 4 weeks of PT to strengthen scapular area, I tried swimming - gently - about 10 days ago. I was pleasantly surprised by the absence of pain. Now, it's just minor discomfort and the longer I swim, the better my shoulder feels.

The MRI report says that I have “tentinopathy of the supraspinatus infraspinatus and subscapularis. I also have arthritis of the acromioclavicular joint. Last finding is mild subchondral cysticv formation of the less tuberboisty of the humerus.”

I know that I will not opt for surgery at this time, since the discomfort is so manageable now. I have resumed swimming, taking it very easy right now with hopes of training for competition.

Anyone else out there have or had a similar condition? What measures did you take to overcome this?

I had such a great year of competition 2012-2013 SCY that I am hot to trot to get back into training and shape, despite my 3 month hiatus. I'm looking for advice on handling this obstacle. I know that I will not opt for surgery at this time, since the discomfort is so minimal (relatively speaking).
    I have very similar shoulder problems to you and haven't been cleared to do pulls yet.My next evaluation is 9-12,so we'll see then.I can't say how you should get back into training except ease into it.Good Luck!!!!
    Allen

Page 53 of 59 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast