Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1220

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Ng Yang Theng View Post
    Instead I'm initiating the insweep by pulling my elbows back instead?
    I am afraid I am not doing a good job in explaining it.When you make your catch at the beginning of your pull you are not keeping your elbows high.This means that as you proceed through the pull you are not able to get the entire hand/forearm unit as a propulsive surface,but instead it is just mostly from your hands alone.This greatly diminishes the power of your pull.Are you familiar with the concept of EVF(early vertical forearm) in freestyle? Breaststroke pull is more outsweeping than crawl's pull,but the high elbow feel is similar.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Interesting BR drill

Very Active Member robertsrobson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I am afraid I am not doing a good job in explaining it.When you make your catch at the beginning of your pull you are not keeping your elbows high.This means that as you proceed through the pull you are not able to get the entire hand/forearm unit as a propulsive surface,but instead it is just mostly from your hands alone.This greatly diminishes the power of your pull.Are you familiar with the concept of EVF(early vertical forearm) in freestyle? Breaststroke pull is more outsweeping than crawl's pull,but the high elbow feel is similar.
    Another drill - try swimming breaststroke with straight arms, just sweeping the hands in and out. Alternatively, do this with a pull buoy.

Then, allow your elbows to bend a little (more), but keeping your upper arms still and high.

Finally, swim 'normally' but keep that your elbows high on the outsweep.

Very Active Member

Hi Frogs,

Can anyone tell me if the rules for open turns on breaststroke stipulate that both hands have to touch on the same horizontal line? I just got DQ'd in the 200 for "touch: one hand." It was a pool that did not have a gutter at water level like I'm used to - which I grab onto for my open turns. This pool just had a flat wall - nothing to grab onto. So during warm up, I practiced doing turns by reaching my right hand up to the top edge of the wall - right at deck level, maybe 4-5" above the water level - to have a bit of something to grab onto. I let my left hand touch normally - and simultaneously - at water level. So from the deck, the officials would have noticed one hand reaching up quite prominently and might not have noticed the other hand further down, partly or fully submerged. A strange way to turn, maybe, but illegal?

Also of interest to froggie types: The new Muppet Movie was hilarious - just like I remember the Muppets from childhood (although the 6-12 yr old kids I was with didn't seem to enjoy it nearly as much as us older folks).

Quote Originally Posted by GregJS View Post
    Hi Frogs,

Can anyone tell me if the rules for open turns on breaststroke stipulate that both hands have to touch on the same horizontal line? I just got DQ'd in the 200 for "touch: one hand." It was a pool that did not have a gutter at water level like I'm used to - which I grab onto for my open turns. This pool just had a flat wall - nothing to grab onto. So during warm up, I practiced doing turns by reaching my right hand up to the top edge of the wall - right at deck level, maybe 4-5" above the water level - to have a bit of something to grab onto. I let my left hand touch normally - and simultaneously - at water level. So from the deck, the officials would have noticed one hand reaching up quite prominently and might not have noticed the other hand further down, partly or fully submerged. A strange way to turn, maybe, but illegal?

Also of interest to froggie types: The new Muppet Movie was hilarious - just like I remember the Muppets from childhood (although the 6-12 yr old kids I was with didn't seem to enjoy it nearly as much as us older folks).
    I am pretty sure the hands do not have to be on the same plane as long as the touch is simultaneous.You should practice doing flat wall turns though, so that you don't have to reach up.If you race in a pool with the international touchpads it is pretty well impossible to grab anything.
    Allen

Very Active Member

I am pretty sure the hands do not have to be on the same plane as long as the touch is simultaneous.
    Thanks for that info.

[/QUOTE]You should practice doing flat wall turns though, so that you don't have to reach up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that suggestion. That would definitely solve the whole issue.

Very Active Member

Thanks for that info.
    You should practice doing flat wall turns though, so that you don't have to reach up.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that suggestion. That would definitely solve the whole issue.[/QUOTE]

Allen is correct on both counts; the hands do not have to touch at the same level, just at the same time and separated:
    101.2.4, At each turn and at the finish of the race, the touch shall be made with both hands separated and simultaneously at, above, or below the water level.

It does not say that both hands have to be at the same level. It can be tricky for an official to see the second hand especially if it is touching the wall under water. One of my high school swimmers would touch the wall underwater with one hand while the other hand was on the gutter, but the hand under water would barely swipe the wall and I could see where an official would think he had not touched with that lower hand. I convinced him to push with that lower hand giving a more solid touch with that hand so it would be easier for the official to see and get him off the wall quicker.

And Allen is correct on the second item: you should be practicing flat hand turns because of high walls at international meets. Grabbing the gutter can slow you down if you are pulling yourself up instead of immediately pushing off the wall with both hands.

Kathy Casey, Chair
    USMS Rules Committee
    Kathy Casey

Very Active Member

Thanks. Sounds like a flat hand turn is not only less likely to get me DQ'd but also necessary at some pools/meets and faster too. Will start doing that.

Ande periodically posts on each of the Lane threads so they don't fall too far down the food chain. Aficionados of other strokes are welcome to bring up their threads too.Anyone want to talk frog?
    Allen

Blog Entries

Anyone want to talk frog?
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Alan, a happy combination of accidents yielded a WIN at Canadian Nationals in -- are you sitting down? -- the 200 breast! Stroke count for this SCM 200 was 6/7/7/7/8/8/9/10, with splits to match. So I got tired! But I also got one of these ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CanadaPatch2.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	8717  

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Alan, a happy combination of accidents yielded a WIN at Canadian Nationals in -- are you sitting down? -- the 200 breast! Stroke count for this SCM 200 was 6/7/7/7/8/8/9/10, with splits to match. So I got tired! But I also got one of these ...
    Whoooo Hoooooo. I find I get better overall times if I take it out slightly "too fast." Taking it out slower doesn't hurt as much though.
    Allen

Hey Swimosaur! I have been trying to "reply with quote" to your post about your 200 breaststroke win; however, I can't get it to work. Something is messed up with my settings, so I have contacted Jim about it.ANYWAY, this "Congratulations!" may lack my usual blue Comic Sans font and Smilies (they aren't working either), but I wanted to send it off and let you know I'm happy for you! You ROOOOCK!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Thanks. Sounds like a flat hand turn is not only less likely to get me DQ'd but also necessary at some pools/meets and faster too. Will start doing that.
    If you ever do the BU SCM meet (typically in Dec), the bulkhead end is rather high. While I'm sure one could do a grab turn, you'd have to really bring your hands up quite high.
    I practice a few touch turns during warm-up just to get the right feel for them.

The pool where I swim (even when there's touchpads) allows easy grab turns, so I get rather spoiled.

That's too bad to get DQ'd, especially in the 200 breast. Although I once saw a guy get DQ'd on his start for the 1500m free (and he didn't find out until he finished )
    Check out my blog here
    "You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Hi all! When I started a poll asking how many masters swimmers incorporate drills into their workouts, about 75% of respondents indicated that they use drills frequently. So I thought that this video we just produced might be helpful for those of you looking for guidance on breaststroke drills. Merle Liivand is an Estonian national breaststroke champion and currently a swimming representative at FINIS. Enjoy! http://www.swimspire.com/breaststrok...merle-liivand/

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey Swimosaur! I have been trying to "reply with quote" to your post about your 200 breaststroke win; however, I can't get it to work. Something is messed up with my settings, so I have contacted Jim about it.ANYWAY, this "Congratulations!" may lack my usual blue Comic Sans font and Smilies (they aren't working either), but I wanted to send it off and let you know I'm happy for you! You ROOOOCK!

May I re-write this in true Elaine-iaK fashion? Congratulations!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by Swimspire View Post
    Hi all! When I started a poll asking how many masters swimmers incorporate drills into their workouts, about 75% of respondents indicated that they use drills frequently. So I thought that this video we just produced might be helpful for those of you looking for guidance on breaststroke drills. Merle Liivand is an Estonian national breaststroke champion and currently a swimming representative at FINIS. Enjoy!
    Julia, that was an excellent video. Thanks for posting!

P.S. Remember the article I wrote that you posted on Swimspire? A local magazine here in Georgia picked it up: http://forums.usms.org/album.php?albumid=533

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Julia, that was an excellent video. Thanks for posting! P.S. Remember the article I wrote that you posted on Swimspire? A local magazine here in Georgia picked it up: http://forums.usms.org/album.php?albumid=533
    Thanks, Elaine! We enjoyed producing it And congratulations on the article!! Glad to see that it is now in print Keep in touch!

Thanks, Elaine! We enjoyed producing it And congratulations on the article!! Glad to see that it is now in print Keep in touch!

Thanks, Julia! Keep producing those terrific videos, and good luck with Swimspire!

Hi all! When I started a poll asking how many masters swimmers incorporate drills into their workouts, about 75% of respondents indicated that they use drills frequently. So I thought that this video we just produced might be helpful for those of you looking for guidance on breaststroke drills. Merle Liivand is an Estonian national breaststroke champion and currently a swimming representative at FINIS. Enjoy! http://www.swimspire.com/breaststrok...merle-liivand/
    I finally got a chance to watch this and it is excellent.I was familiar with all the drills except for the 4 stroke free/3 stroke BR drill and use the other drills frequently. I'll try the new one too. Thanks.
    Allen

Page 59 of 61 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061 LastLast