Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1242

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I finally got a chance to watch this and it is excellent.I was familiar with all the drills except for the 4 stroke free/3 stroke BR drill and use the other drills frequently. I'll try the new one too. Thanks.
    Thanks, glad you liked it!

Participating Member

Hey frogs,
    I'm new here. I'm a 17 years old male with a 1:08 in my 100 scy and a 2:30 in my 200 scy though I haven't swam the 200 in a while since my high school doesn't have the 200 br

High school season just ended and I'm motivated to get even faster for next season. Does anyone have any suggestions for dryland exercises? I feel like my kick needs some strengthening.

I will try and get some film from my next meet in about a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much any of the weight room exercises that work the quads are good:squats,lunges,leg presses,quad extentions etc.Also really good is vertical jumps in about 7 ft of water in streamline position(shallower water is OK if that is all you have access to.) My favorite leg exercise is 25 eggbeater sprints.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Participating Member

I will definitely do that then thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin125 View Post
    Hey frogs,
    I'm new here. I'm a 17 years old male with a 1:08 in my 100 scy and a 2:30 in my 200 scy though I haven't swam the 200 in a while since my high school doesn't have the 200 br

High school season just ended and I'm motivated to get even faster for next season. Does anyone have any suggestions for dryland exercises? I feel like my kick needs some strengthening.

I will try and get some film from my next meet in about a month.

As part of your dryland exercise, add some work on ankle and leg flexibility. One exercise for ankle flexibility is to lie on your back, legs fully extended and ellivated (as your legs would be at the completion of the kick), pointed toes and try to touch your small toes

Very Active Member

Hi folks. NON breaststroker here. My 14 yr old beginner swimmer is a natural. His legs are long and his kick takes up the whole lane. I told him to try a narrower kick for more power, but he says that when he does, he gets a sharp pain on the inside of his knee. Is this something that is normal? is it a strength issue? or technique? I am actively trying to not be "that mom" but he is open to suggestions since his summer league is coached by high school students, and the stroke instruction is minimal at best. Oh, and he will not let me video tape him otherwise I would have included a video.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jpetyk View Post
    I told him to try a narrower kick for more power, but he says that when he does, he gets a sharp pain on the inside of his knee. Is this something that is normal? is it a strength issue? or technique? I am actively trying to not be "that mom" but he is open to suggestions since his summer league is coached by high school students, and the stroke instruction is minimal at best. Oh, and he will not let me video tape him otherwise I would have included a video.

Hi,
    Sometimes kids (And adults) with lots of joint mobility can experience pain in the MCL that runs along the inside of the knee. If it's very painful then I'd have it looked at. If it's only during the kick, then I'd try to find a good coach to look at his technique. For me, if I get lazy and let my legs start "squeezing" the water (even with narrow knees) instead of catching it and pushing it back, I'll get MCL pain in one or both knees. Straightening up and swimming right always seems to fix it. Knee pain is always worth addressing, but especially for a breaststroker! Hate to loose that kick!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by isilver78 View Post
    Hi,
    Sometimes kids (And adults) with lots of joint mobility can experience pain in the MCL that runs along the inside of the knee. If it's very painful then I'd have it looked at. If it's only during the kick, then I'd try to find a good coach to look at his technique. For me, if I get lazy and let my legs start "squeezing" the water (even with narrow knees) instead of catching it and pushing it back, I'll get MCL pain in one or both knees. Straightening up and swimming right always seems to fix it. Knee pain is always worth addressing, but especially for a breaststroker! Hate to loose that kick!

Cheers
    This is really a good answer.Medial knee pain is very common for BR swimmers as the action of the kick puts a great deal of strain on the joint. It is very important to stop when the pain begins. The fact that the pain occurs so quickly for jpetyk's son makes it seem like it is probably a problem with technique.Having pain after doing a lot of BR is bad but common.Having pain after not much is not common, and likely could be fixed with proper technique, as isilver78 implied.
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    This is really a good answer.Medial knee pain is very common for BR swimmers as the action of the kick puts a great deal of strain on the joint. It is very important to stop when the pain begins. The fact that the pain occurs so quickly for jpetyk's son makes it seem like it is probably a problem with technique.Having pain after doing a lot of BR is bad but common.Having pain after not much is not common, and likely could be fixed with proper technique, as isilver78 implied.
    I agree with Allen Stark - it sounds like there is a technique issue here. Normally, a narrower kick will reduce pressure on the knees. And with a wide kick, your son is losing a good deal of the momentum and power he would get out of the strength of his legs. A few posts earlier, I attached a link to a breaststroke drills video, which includes breaststroke with pull buoy. Using the pull buoy is a great way to enforce proper kicking technique without putting pressure on the knees. Here is the link to the video: http://www.swimspire.com/breaststrok...merle-liivand/

Again, though, as Allen said, it is important not to over-do it, so be sure your son stops when he feels any pain. If the pain persists over time, he may want to get it checked out by a doctor to ensure that it is nothing serious.

Participating Member

Am I a natural at breaststroke or do I suck at freestyle?

Hi, my name is Jimmy and I'm very new to organized swimming (started lessons 6 weeks ago and joined a masters team 3 weeks ago), and this is my first post here!

Anyhow, I find that my breaststroke is better and faster than my freestyle. Is that unusual? I timed myself doing 500 yards of freestyle and 500 yards of breaststroke, and my breaststroke was 15 seconds faster and I was less tired afterwards. I don't think my freestyle is bad. My coaches say that my stroke looks pretty good now and has no major issues. So what's the explanation here? My grandma taught me something like breaststroke when I was little (I'm 31 now). Could that have made a difference?

Also, I had my first meet ever today and I got a 1:42 in the 100m breaststroke (long course). From what I understand, that's pretty decent for a newbie who only properly learned the stroke a few weeks ago. Is that something I can expect to improve significantly if I work hard to improve? I figure breaststroke is probably going to be my best stroke and maybe I have a chance to get really good at it, but just wanted to see what people with more experience think.

Thanks!

Participating Member

Hi, my name is Jimmy and I'm very new to organized swimming (started lessons 6 weeks ago and joined a masters team 3 weeks ago), and this is my first post here!

Anyhow, I find that my breaststroke is better and faster than my freestyle. Is that unusual? I timed myself doing 500 yards of freestyle and 500 yards of breaststroke, and my breaststroke was 15 seconds faster and I was less tired afterwards. I don't think my freestyle is bad. My coaches say that my stroke looks pretty good now and has no major issues. So what's the explanation here? My grandma taught me something like breaststroke when I was little (I'm 31 now). Could that have made a difference?

Also, I had my first meet ever today and I got a 1:42 in the 100m breaststroke (long course). From what I understand, that's pretty decent for a newbie who only properly learned the stroke a few weeks ago. Is that something I can expect to improve significantly if I work hard to improve? I figure breaststroke is probably going to be my best stroke and maybe I have a chance to get really good at it, but just wanted to see what people with more experience think.

Thanks!

Some people just naturally know how to do a breaststroke kick. If you have the kick everything flows from that. Of course you can get faster,maybe a lot faster. If possible,post a video for us to critique.As to being faster BR than free,that is very unusual,but since BR is leg dominant and free is upper body dominant,it does happen.As you swim more, your free probably will improve faster,but keep working on that breaststroke.
    Allen

Blog Entries

Hey Allen,

Nice swim! Wish I could have been there to see it!

Quote Originally Posted by isilver78 View Post
    Hey Allen,

Nice swim! Wish I could have been there to see it!
    Thanks.I appreciate it.
    Allen

I really thought when Butterfly became a stroke that Breaststroke would end.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    Fortunately,no.
    Allen

Very Active Member philoswimmer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by geochuck View Post
    I like both strokes, but a stroke that most people can't do for more than a handful of yard will never replace one that most people can do for very long stretches. (Please note the qualifications, "most people.")
    Last edited by philoswimmer; August 5th, 2014 at 06:09 PM.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Fellow Frogs: The following is a video of today's 200 breaststroke at Nationals. Although it was a personal best time for me ever in 200 LC , I'm always looking for ways to improve. BESIDES the bent elbows (physical limitations prevent me from narrowing my arms any further in breaststroke), do any of you have any suggestions on how to improve my stroke?

I was very happy with my splits, considering how they have been in the past:

10 Krugman, Elaine 52 GAJA 4:06.14 3:54.47
    55.64 1:55.24 (59.60)
    2:55.83 (1:00.59) 3:54.47 (58.64)

Thanks, Frogs!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Fellow Frogs: The following is a video of today's 200 breaststroke at Nationals. Although it was a personal best time for me ever in 200 LC , I'm always looking for ways to improve. BESIDES the bent elbows (physical limitations prevent me from narrowing my arms any further in breaststroke), do any of you have any suggestions on how to improve my stroke?

Thanks, Frogs!
    That is a very good swim and your splits are very even.You should be proud of that swim.On the arm recovery on the pullout you are not keeping your hands close to your body and that is stopping your momentum.
    In streamline position,is it possible to squeeze your ears with your biceps and have your arms directly in line with your body? If not,you can stop reading here as the next correction may not be physically possible.Every stroke you in the recovery you are extending your arms slightly down and your head is above the line of your arms. This drives you a little deep every stroke and breaks streamline just a little.If you are physically enable to fix that,OK,but based on your streamlining on the start and turn I suspect you can do better.Still it id a really good swim.You really pushed that last 50 and that was gutsy.Again good job.
    Allen

Participating Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

Thanks, Frogs!
    So I was watching that and trying to figure out if your head-bob was slowing you or not, and I couldn't figure that out until your last 50 meters when your tempo increased. It looked like it had the effect of face planting into the water rather than moving forward. As a coach I strenuously object to any movement of the head during breaststroke. I know Kevin Cordes set an American record at NCAA's with his head moving all over the place, but I think that gets exposed a lot more in long course swimming, and having watched him at a few meets this summer it looks like he's trying to curb that.
    But anyway, back to your swim; I think you would find a little more speed if you could comfortably tuck your chin slightly and keep it there, especially as you accelerate your pace into the finish. I always think of it as anything I'm moving that isn't increasing speed is taking fuel from my legs, and I need all the gas I can get, ESPECIALLY in the 200.

Page 60 of 63 FirstFirst ... 10505657585960616263 LastLast