Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778 LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 1545

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Participating Member Master slacker's Avatar

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Checking into this thread. Am I the only one whose 100/200 BR is faster than their 100/200 BK?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master slacker View Post
    Checking into this thread. Am I the only one whose 100/200 BR is faster than their 100/200 BK?
    No, you are not my back has mainly been slower than my breast either as a kid or an adult. I'm a terrible backstroker. I use to swim fly closed to free but that is closed now to the breastroke, but back is my slowest stroke since when I recently did a 200 I'm, i was slightly ahead of the other women in the fly, and she moved 5 to 6 seconds ahead in back and I gain the lead in breast. Breaststrokers tend to be poor backstrokers usually and some are bad at fly or free.

My 50 BR is over 10% faster than my 50 BK. 100s are worse and if I have to swim a 200 BK I have to notify the timers to get a calendar watch.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    My 50 BR is over 10% faster than my 50 BK. 100s are worse and if I have to swim a 200 BK I have to notify the timers to get a calendar watch.
    Ok, King Frog, I have to see this. I challenge you to have Seal Girl shoot video of your backstroke and post the clip here. I want to see what a World Record breaststroker looks like swimming backstroke!

I have better backstroke technique than free or fly; however, it is slower than my breaststroke unless I train it regularly. Right now, I am concentrating on my breaststroke, so my backstroke is slower...
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

It is hard to comment on given your physical limitations.Ones arms should ideally be straighter on the streamline on the pullout and go more forward than down on the recovery, but I am not sure you can do that. You stroke is looking better. That 50 pace swim especially looks good.
    Is this pullout any better?

Here's a clip of a DPS 25 breaststroke. I don't think the pullout is as good as above, but this shows my stroke. (I see my feet are still too high on the kick!) Bruce walked along with me to minimize glare on the water, so it's a little bit bumpy:

Last edited by ElaineK; March 10th, 2018 at 04:27 PM.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Your stroke looks good. On the pullout you are bringing your hands too far away from your body on the recovery. Practice keeping your hands touching your body as you bring them up until you get to the upper torso.
    Allen

Your stroke looks good. On the pullout you are bringing your hands too far away from your body on the recovery. Practice keeping your hands touching your body as you bring them up until you get to the upper torso.

Ahh! Good catch, King Frog! I didn't even realize how far below my body my hands were until I replayed the video. Thanks! As for my stroke,
    . I will work hard to keep it that way! Thanks, my fellow frog!

Hey, King Frog. This is my 50 breaststroke race from today (Lane 6, White USMS cap). My time was 44.15, just .02 off last April's time before I got injured, so I was happy with it. I also beat the gal next to me (green cap) who had beaten me in the 200 breaststroke earlier in the day. I had just finished the 200 fly after swimming the 1000 free earlier, so I was a bit tired for the 200. My time was two seconds off last April's; however, it was faster than I had been doing in workouts. Tomorrow, I have the 500 free, 200 IM, and then the 100 Breast and 100 fly back-to-back.
    Last edited by ElaineK; March 17th, 2018 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Hey, King Frog. This is my 50 breaststroke race from today (Lane 6, White USMS cap). My time was 44.15, just .02 off last April's time before I got injured, so I was happy with it. I also beat the gal next to me (green cap) who had beaten me in the 200 breaststroke earlier in the day. I had just finished the 200 fly after swimming the 1000 free earlier, so I was a bit tired for the 200. My time was two seconds off last April's; however, it was faster than I had been doing in workouts. Tomorrow, I have the 500 free, 200 IM, and then the 100 Breast and 100 fly back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by arrieros View Post
    Thanks, arrieros!

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    You have a good underwater pull Eliane in your breaststroke one reason why you won that heat.

Really good swim. Congratulations. One thing I noticed on your turn though, you grabbed the gutter to help pull you around and that slowed you down. Practice some turns without using the gutter to get the feel of just pushing away.
    Still, great race.
    Allen

Really good swim. Congratulations. One thing I noticed on your turn though, you grabbed the gutter to help pull you around and that slowed you down. Practice some turns without using the gutter to get the feel of just pushing away.
    Still, great race.

Thanks, King Frog, I appreciate it!

Thanks for the turn tip, too. At the pool where I train, there is no gutter, so I don't have anything to grab. When I get to a pool like this one, I love grabbing the gutter-- a crutch, I know.

Participating Member

I had a GoSwim stroke video analysis done on my breaststroke recently and the first thing that was mentioned was that I was recovering my hands and arms simultaneously after my pulldown. Looking at your video it looks like mine. It's subtle, but recovering the arms slightly before the legs makes and feels different (better). I went further and carried more momentum off my walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimerz54 View Post
    I had a GoSwim stroke video analysis done on my breaststroke recently and the first thing that was mentioned was that I was recovering my hands and arms simultaneously after my pulldown. Looking at your video it looks like mine. It's subtle, but recovering the arms slightly before the legs makes and feels different (better). I went further and carried more momentum off my walls.
    Did you mean arms and legs? I'm a bit confused. Can you post your video? I would like to see what you mean. Thanks!

P.S. I have a video of just my pullout in post #1525. Should I be making more separation in the recovery of my arms, and then my legs?

Hi Elaine! Thanks for sharing the race video - congrats! I think you have a great breaststroke overall. The one area you need to work on is strengthening your pull and (especially) your kick. Towards the end of the 50, you can see that as you get tired, your kick becomes weaker and less effective and you begin to take more strokes. If you can work within the parameters of any limitations you experience to develop more strength and more conditioning, especially of the kick, you will experience improvements and increased distance per stroke.

Additionally, I second Allen's comment regarding grabbing the walls - that did slow you down a bit. Try to stay away from the walls during the turns.

Given all of the challenges and obstacles you faced this year, I think you are doing an amazing job. Keep it up!

Blog Entries

Not really a breaststroker, but a wannabe IMer. Did my first "fast" 200 breast since I've been back in the water at the end of a set of fast 200s today. Man... I forgot how much the forearms burn the last 75 or so!
    400 IMer/200 backstroker in another life, now sprinter/breaststroker... Yeah, I don't know how that happened either!

Swimming is a very individualized sport, and breaststroke even more so. Many of the good breaststrokers have had Olympic-level success with very different strokes. Just because the stroke style works for one swimmer does not mean it will work for another. This is why it is very important not to take generic advice that is not geared towards YOU specifically and to work with a coach on an individualized basis. By taking generalized stroke technique advice or even by copying your favorite Olympian, you may end up with slower times and even injuries! One thing you could do would be to post your video on this forum thread. I'm sure some of the forumites could take a look at it and give you some good advice based on what they actually see.

Quote Originally Posted by Swimspire View Post
    Hi Elaine! Thanks for sharing the race video - congrats! I think you have a great breaststroke overall. The one area you need to work on is strengthening your pull and (especially) your kick. Towards the end of the 50, you can see that as you get tired, your kick becomes weaker and less effective and you begin to take more strokes. If you can work within the parameters of any limitations you experience to develop more strength and more conditioning, especially of the kick, you will experience improvements and increased distance per stroke.

Additionally, I second Allen's comment regarding grabbing the walls - that did slow you down a bit. Try to stay away from the walls during the turns.

Given all of the challenges and obstacles you faced this year, I think you are doing an amazing job. Keep it up!

Thanks, Julia! I appreciate the encouragement and tips. Prior to my 50 Breaststroke, I raced the 1000, 200 Fly, and 200 Breaststroke in a fast-paced meet. My legs were tired, to say the least. Having said that, I am working to make my legs stronger. I returned to the weight room a couple of months ago, and I continue to do my Theraband PT exercises that were prescribed after my hip surgery.

In training, I keep my sprints at 10-11 strokes; however, that stroke count always rises at a meet. I typically race a full slate of events, and most (if not all) of the longest events. Maintaining strength in my last events is always a challenge!

Participating Member

Sorry Elaine, I meant arms and legs. Here's the narrative that went with my video. " After the underwater pull, I notice that the arms and legs are moving at the same time into recovery. You want to be careful to be sure the arms are moving forward before the legs. When everything is moving forward at the same time there is a tendency of stopping. So you want to segment those out. " I hope that is clearer!

Page 77 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2767737475767778 LastLast