Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778
Results 1,541 to 1,545 of 1545

Thread: The Breaststroke Lane

Very Active Member

Re: The Breaststroke Lane

Breastrokers can be pride. The first person to cross the English Channel Captain Mattew Webb doing it by breastroke. interesting life about the 19th century Englishman..https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Webb

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Best wishes to King Frog for a speedy recovery from shoulder surgery! K.F., I tried replying to your PM; however, your mailbox is full.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I've been training my 200 breaststroke to work on DPS and technique, trying to figure out what the ideal stroke count is for me combined with achieving my fastest time. It has been a work in progress, and the 200 is still my worst event of the three breaststrokes distances. At UGA this past weekend (LC), the two gals I beat in the 50 beat me in the 200. I would like to improve my 200 time, so that I am at the same percentage in the USMS rankings in my age group as I am in the 50 (around top third).

One thing that threw me off at the long course meet was not having the opportunity to train long course, so I never quite know where I am in the pool. In short course, I count my strokes and always know what my count based on how strong I'm feeling, and how well I can hold my technique. I can predict my count for each 25 yards as soon as I take my first stroke or two. For my 200 SCY, I typically have a stroke count that starts out at 7 or 8, settles in at 9-10, and then ends up at 11 for my last two lengths.

I have only raced 200 breaststroke long course six times since I started competing eight years ago. On Sunday, my stroke count was 19-23-25-28. I was pretty tired after "racing" the 200 fly-- especially since I didn't swim for ten days in late May due to being on river cruise, so I tried to keep my stroke count low at first.

That was a very long intro to my questions about my race in the video below (lane 6, white USMS cap):
    1. Was I trying to ride the glide for too long? Should I have increased my turnover tempo a little more?
    2. How was my technique? What still needs to be improved? I think I have finally conquered the worst of my elbow bend on recovery; however, I am sure there are plenty of other things y'all can spot.

Thanks!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Yes, you were trying to glide too long at first and losing your momentum, but I think the main problem was too much time out of the water and too much 200 fly before your race. You did not have the usual "pop" in your kick that I have seen. That was from the beginning, but got worse as the race progressed. From about the middle of the third length on you were kicking more out and less back than usual. You evidently had a good 50, probable out of the water a week is a better taper for a 200. The pull did look better. Unless something bis happening to your flexibility or leg strength, I'd say this was mostly just "one of those swims" and not plan on doing great in the second swim of the 200 fly, 200 BR double.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Yeah, my frog legs weren't kickin' with their usual snap. Looking at the video, I can see what you mean about my loss of momentum AND my kick falling apart throughout the race.

After my 200 breast race, I seemed to catch a second wind. My 100 breast race was good and actually just edged out my 2013 Mission Viejo time at Nationals. I have only swum it faster just once since then.

Following the 100 breast, I swam the 100 fly; however, the races were spread out with plenty of rest and time to refuel in between-- thanks to one of my teammates who is a human meet delay. (Her 50 fly came in at 2:13, for example, and she "races" the 200 fly twice as slow as I do, most of the time). For my 50 breaststroke, I was VERY motivated to do well, and I really concentrated on my technique and using all my strength. (Unfortunately, my camera battery died, so I don't have a video.)

Given my success in the 50, I'd say it was more "one of those swim" than anything else. My flexibility and leg strength got better as the meet went on.

As for a 200 fly-200Br double, I would definitely prefer swimming it the other way around. I would rather be fresh for the breaststroke. In addition, I always swim the 200 fly better when it immediately follows another race, because I am very warmed up and more relaxed.

Thanks for your feedback, K.F. I will work on increasing my turnover rate a a little and seeing how that works.

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778