LCM meet coming up in a little more than a month.
Granddaughter is listening to her teammates complain about swimming LCM.
She is now making negative statements about how poorly she is going to swim because the pool is LCM and outside.
I'm afraid she is setting up a self-fulfilling prophecy.
What would you say to her?
A lot of time kids (adults too!) will make such statements to lower expectations and reduce pressure. She's going to have to work it out.
In addition, your granddaughter is probably not the only kid on the team with the same issues ("Granddaughter is listening to her teammates complain about swimming LCM"), so the coach has more than her negativity to deal with.
95% of kids around the country are whining about LCM workouts now coming off SC season. The other 5% are whining about LCM season and other things that every teen swimmer that ever lived whines about. 100% of parents and grandparents should stay out of it.
I heard one swimmer the other day complain that LCM swimming messes up her manicure more than SCY swimming.
What's your dream?
Train hard smart & Fast
Get up & race in meets & practice
I have never competed in LCM's. I plan on doing the 400 Free and 800 Free in the first LCM meet in May, in my area. Kind of looking forward to it. When I complete those two events I will have completed the USMS Check Off Challenge for the second time.
So foreign to me. I always loved training and swimming LCM and still do to this day.
I would tell her a story about how much further 50 meters was when I was her age.
Actually, I remember a trip between Coeur d'Alene, ID and Banff, AB where we encountered some sort of geothermally heated pool/spa/resort. They had an outdoor pool. As I recall, their claim to fame was that they hosted the only swim team in Canada that swam outdoors year 'round...
You all are absolutely right! A recent "event" caused me to realize this young coach has far more insight into his swimmers and much more political savvy than any of the swim "parents" have been giving him credit for.
PS: I had nothing to do with the political intrigue! Just happened to hear about it.
Just wanted to thank everyone again for their advice and to give a quick update. My granddaughter had a wonderful meet! Of course she had PB’s in all the events she swam because she did not have any previous times. But even when her short-course times were converted to LCM, she still turned in PB’s in all events and earned A, or AA times. This was the first time she swam in the ‘senior’ girls’ age group. On the way home, long after our conversation about the meet was over, she pops up with, “I like LCM, it is real swimming.” Her mother and I took the opportunity to point out that she shouldn’t let other’s opinions influence her thinking; that she should weight all the data and form her own opinion.
Awesome!On the way home, long after our conversation about the meet was over, she pops up with, “I like LCM, it is real swimming.” Her mother and I took the opportunity to point out that she shouldn’t let other’s opinions influence her thinking; that she should weight all the data and form her own opinion. Thanks again
She is also fortunate to be able to enjoy the LCM option
glad she enjoyed her LC meet! Long Course IS real swimming. I love love love LCM!
Growing up in Europe I never knew how somebody came up with a 25 yards pool. Waaaaayyyy to short. You do 2 strokes and have to turn again. Having swam through College in this beautiful country I unfortunately had no other choice but to improve my turns.