Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Thread: The Backstroke Lane

Re: The Backstroke Lane

chris ... thanks for the explanation of scm/lcm pools ... only swam yards in hs and college, as this goes back to 1965 - 72 ... probably aau meets back then were occasionally meter meets but never went to one ... with all the concern on reducing turbulence i never got the flush walls ... and they really sucked on fly turns ... plus if you never did a backstroke start while standing on the gutter and threw a racing back dive you really missed something !!!

Participating Member

When I swam in high school, things must have been in a transitional phase in our area. This was Middle TN, early 90s. Our pool was SCM, there were a couple others, but most were SCY. The bulk had gutters, but a few were flush. No correlation that I remember between gutter and y/m. We swam in all of them in a season, just adjusting each time.

I swam back in every meet, so I started with my fleet flat on the wall in some pools and curled over the gutter at others-the governing body for high school sports in my state allowed either. I MUCH preferred using the gutter. I don't know if it actually pushed me out farther, but boy, it felt a lot more like taking flight. I think those starts were my favorite thing about competing in backstroke, to be honest.

Blog Entries
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From the comment section:

At least for SCY, let’s avoid this expense and complications and go back to the 1980′s era stand up starts.

As for meters, if we just stopped using those slippery yellow Omega pads and used the nice, rough white Colorado swimming pads, we wouldn’t have to worry about this contraption.

Better yet, get rid of the in water start and just require everyone to be on their back by the 15m mark. No cost and easy to officiate.
    Agree with all 3 points: I miss the stand-up starts, hate hate hate the yellow Omega pads with their vertical slats, and would love it to be able to dive from the blocks. This "Patrick Brundage" fellow sounds pretty knowledgeable.

agree with those 3 points also ... as i said i left swimming in 72 for a 33 yr break ... when i left there was talk of switching over to block starts ... when i returned i was dismayed to see the change in back starts that made it more difficult to do a fast and consistent start ... the start has become overly dependent on the surface of the pad which is changeable from manufacturer to manufacturer and age of the pad ... at the very least how about requiring a"coefficient of wet friction" for the pads when new ... (surfaces on pool decks have to meet this by code) ... we are the lowly brethren of those block starter who luxuriate in there sloped, rough surface who place there toes over the edge of the block and push off a starters wedge and not have to get their suits wet prematurely ... that said they did do us a favor when somewhere along the line they allowed us to roll on to our stomach to to a turn and ended the dreaded hand touch/head bang

swam in a LCM meet in Clearwater, FL this past weekend, without timing pads ... they had the required 2 timers per lane ... what was really nice is we started from the tiled pool wall ... i was able to securely snuggle my toes to just under the surface of the water on the wall and had great backstroke starts ... i haven't had my feet this high in years ... "tile" who would of thought !!!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I guess this block specific "anti slip" device is a easier than the alternative of making the Omega pad "anti slip" ... I for one am glad we will have this for Omega blocked and padded FINA pools (and meets should advertise that they will be available) ... but it could be awhile before we see this in a pool near you with different blocks ... they will need to have some extra devices around for when one fails in a meet

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920