Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Backstroke Lane

Smile Re: The Backstroke Lane

Chris Stevenson & That Guy: It worked! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    ... repeats of 100's wherein you sprint the 2nd 50 of each 100. Then take low (5-10 seconds) to medium (10-30 seconds) rest before the next 100. Have a mental cue like "ok GO" when it's time to sprint. It'll come in handy in competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    In addition to this sort of set I think you need to work on pacing and lactate tolerance. (These are not independent things but they are not identical either.)

One suggestion is to do pace 200s where you decrease the rest as you progress. For example:

4 x 200 back on 4:00, rest 12/10/8 sec at the 50s, try to keep the same time on all 4 50s, and not far from your goal race pace.
    From March 26 until taper time on May 5, I did lots of sets based on your suggestions. I had to modify the sets in most cases because I couldn't do them exactly as prescribed. But close! My notes include sets like,

4x50 on 1:00 = 34 35 35 34
    4x50 on 55 = 35 35 35 35
    4x50 on 50 = 35 35 35 35
    and
    4 x 50 on 45 = 35 36 36 35
    4 x 50 on 50 = 35 36 36 35
    2 x [50 fast + 50 EZ] = 31 31
    and
    3 x [100 back fast + 50 free EZ] on 5:00
    1:08 1:10 1:10

It worked! At nationals, I did PBs in both the 100 and 200, dropping 1.6 in the 100 and 2.4 in the 200. Splits for the 200 were still not ideal, but much improved!

Event 25 Men 55-59 200 Yard Backstroke
    ================================================== ================
    7 Jones, Judd 55 GAJA 2:21.02 2:18.64
    32.69 1:07.62 (34.93)
    1:43.38 (35.76) 2:18.64 (35.26)

First time under 2:20!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	200SCYBack.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	7539

The graph (click on it to make it larger) shows my times in the SCY 200 back from Sep. 26, 2009 to May 9, 2013. See that big drop at the end? THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Any more suggestions?
    Last edited by Swimosaur; May 18th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: The Backstroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    At nationals, I did PBs in both the 100 and 200, dropping 1.6 in the 100 and 2.4 in the 200. Splits for the 200 were still not ideal, but much improved!

Event 25 Men 55-59 200 Yard Backstroke
    ================================================== ================
    7 Jones, Judd 55 GAJA 2:21.02 2:18.64
    32.69 1:07.62 (34.93)
    1:43.38 (35.76) 2:18.64 (35.26)

First time under 2:20!
    Congratulations, Swimosaur! That is AWESOME progress!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

While I am here in The Backstroke Lane, as an update to my previous posts about improving my bucket turn, I had to give it up- at least for now- and return to a more conservative open turn. The torque on my neck was increasing pain I had started getting while doing PT exercises with weights to strengthen my trapezius muscles. My physical therapist recommended getting neck x-rays which ended up showing severe joint and disc disease at C2-7, bridging bone growths at C2-3 and C5-6, a curve in my spine to the left, and too straight of a spine from front to back! My doctor immediately went to work on getting me a referral for a consultation; my appointment is on Friday.

Sheeesh; if it's not one thing, it's another! I may have inherited a rotten set of genes, but I am still- and always will be- Elaine-iaK!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    ... x-rays which ended up showing severe joint and disc disease at C2-7, bridging bone growths at C2-3 and C5-6, a curve in my spine to the left, and too straight of a spine from front to back!
    Yikes, Elaine, that sounds terrible! Best luck to you as you deal with it! I know you will, and terrifically well, too, because ...

... I am still- and always will be- Elaine-iaK!
    Yes, you most certainly are!

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Yikes, Elaine, that sounds terrible! Best luck to you as you deal with it! I know you will, and terrifically well, too, because ...

Yes, you most certainly are!
    Thanks, Swimosaur! Swimming, thankfully, makes my neck feel better- as long as I don't get too radical on my open turns! Swimming is probably the reason in the first place that I did not have too many symptoms of joint disease or any other neck symptoms. As long as I am moving, I feel good. The only indication I had in the past of a neck problem was no longer being able to breathe left on fly without pain; I had to teach myself to front breathe.

I was definitely a 'iaK in Sanibel during our vacation. On a few of the days, I started off with a 40 minute fast open water swim, before heading over to the recreation center for a 2,000 - 2,500 yard training session and PT in the gym. After breakfast (uhhhh, make that a late lunch...), Bruce and I went out for 2-3 hours of kayaking. I never felt better!

to Steve for swimming a personal best time in his 50m FREESTYLE.
    to Steve for his NS in the 50m BACKSTROKE for our gridge. I guess I won by default!

By the way, at 47.11, I ended up slower than my (guessed) seed time of :46, however, it converts to a time close to my personal best; my only good race of the day. For that matter, it was my only "race" of the day. I was very tentative, due to my nagging leg muscle problems and having today's neck MRI hanging over me.
    Looking at the films, it's UGLY! It's back to the orthopedic surgeon, on Thursday, for his recommendation. (Dr. James is the former team physician and orthopedic surgeon for the Atlanta Falcons and Atlanta Thrashers, 2004 - 2011, and now just consults for the Falcons. I would hope I'm in good hands!)

BORKED
    Last edited by ElaineK; June 3rd, 2013 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Official results has me at .5 faster than shown on the board at the meet.

Blog Entries

to Steve for swimming a personal best time in his 50m FREESTYLE.
    Thank you
    to Steve for his NS in the 50m BACKSTROKE for our gridge. I guess I won by default!
    Sorry, I had to bail, but congratulations on your backstroke time. You can always fall back on sprinting when recovering. Good luck at the appointment

The best backstroke team :

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Looks like these "stick-people" need a lesson in turns! (or else head-gear!)

They were sucked into the wall.

I need some backstroke start advice. I had a great start 35 years ago with my toes over the gutter and a flexible back. Now, I just can't seem to get the timing down to nail a clean entry like the good starters do. I tend to push off the wall immediately as I'm launching out, only to smack my upper shoulders without a clean entry. It looks to me like the good starters release from the block, have their arms and torso beyond vertical (moving toward the direction of entry) before they actually push with their legs to get that beautiful arc and clean entry.

Can anyone who's mastered the start give me some pointers? Is there a slight delay in pushing against the wall while emphasizing the arch and setup for entry? The good ones make it look so effortless. Me, it looks like brute force.

Thanks.

Hey, swimdoc! I can't help you with your backstroke start, but I can say I'm glad to see you have recovered well enough from your surgery to be working on your backstroke start! From one TOS survivor to another: CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm looking forward to catching up with you at Nationals! Good luck!

I'll be there...gasping for air!

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

I recall a three step development for this.... kind of isolating the parts before putting them together...
    - first practice with arms (push, throw) and head using no legs.
    - second, practice with no arms (they just drop to sides and push legs and head position.
    - third, put the two together and work on the timing.. arm push and throw with head followed by legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    I recall a three step development for this.... kind of isolating the parts before putting them together...
    - first practice with arms (push, throw) and head using no legs.
    - second, practice with no arms (they just drop to sides and push legs and head position.
    - third, put the two together and work on the timing.. arm push and throw with head followed by legs.
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.

The Backstroke Lane

How close should your pull be to your body? I have been a very slow backstroker but I think I am faster with a better body roll now that I pull closer to my body. Before my forearm/upper arm angle never got less than 90 degrees (i.e. a wide pull) nut now I am trying to always get that angle to be less than 90 degrees (i.e. hand closer to body).

What do those who know about backstroke think?

I feel that you should keep your hands in front of your body plane during the pull. Imagine where you place your hands on the gutter when you are pulling yourself out of the pool. This is where you are the strongest. You will need to roll a little to keep your hands from popping out of the water as you pull and keep them in front of your body. Another thing you should concentrate on is not pausing before you pull after your hands enter the water. Here is a good link to a talk on backstroke technique on the USA Swimming website: https://usaswimming.adobeconnect.com...&pbMode=normal

Quote Originally Posted by ganache View Post
    I feel that you should keep your hands in front of your body plane during the pull. Imagine where you place your hands on the gutter when you are pulling yourself out of the pool. This is where you are the strongest. You will need to roll a little to keep your hands from popping out of the water as you pull and keep them in front of your body. Another thing you should concentrate on is not pausing before you pull after your hands enter the water. Here is a good link to a talk on backstroke technique on the USA Swimming website: https://usaswimming.adobeconnect.com...&pbMode=normal
    That video was great! Thank you.

Are there videos for the other three strokes?

Yes, here is the link to the page on USA Swimming to lots of them. I really like the ones by Russell Mark. He has another one with back stroke called "Freestyle & Backstroke Rotation". Click on the "Recordings" blue text on the following link page.
    http://www.usaswimming.org/DesktopDe...ainbow&Lang=en

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast