Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: The Backstroke Lane

Re: The Backstroke Lane

I am experiencing shoulder pain (impingement I think - top of shoulder). Should backstroke entry be back of hand first or pinky first?

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wmst1 View Post
    I am experiencing shoulder pain (impingement I think - top of shoulder). Should backstroke entry be back of hand first or pinky first?
    Ideally pinky first but it isn't worth blowing your shoulder out.

Blog Entries

Does a more back-of-hand entry perhaps suggest not enough roll?

Blog Entries

Perhaps I'm not rolling enough. Not due to entry problems, but during release my entire forearm lifts the water in the air like I'm lifting weights

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

New M 50+ SCM backstroke records:
    http://swimswam.com/two-masters-worl...fritz-bedford/

77 Year old David Costill Sets 500 1000, and 1650 Backstroke Record in the "Butterfly is Not a Crime" Postal Swim.
    Check out his times at www.swimflyfast.com His 1650 time would have given him second place in Freestyle at nationals, his 1000 forth. He was smoking!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

As of 1/1/14 The wedge for backstroke is Legal! I look forward to trying it.
    Has anyone trided it yet?

I'd like more info and to see FINA's official wording in the rules.

NEWS:

-As of Jan. 1, 2014, a new backstroke starting ledge will be permitted for starts. The ledge is comparable to the wedge or fin device now used on blocks for forward starts and hangs from the starting block by straps. The rule for use of the ledge will still require both feet to be in contact with the wall or pad, and the toes will not be allowed to curl over the top of the gutter or timing pad. Once an athlete starts, the ledge will have to be removed for turns and finishes. It is advised that a coach or teammate remove the device for the athlete after the start and place it on the deck. FINA will be releasing specifications and dimensions for those approved wedges in the coming weeks. We will pass along more information on this as it becomes available.
    FROM: http://www.floridaswimming.org/szfll...tes_091613.pdf

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Testing New Backstroke Platform at USA Swimming Nationals
    Published:June 28, 2013

Pros and Cons of New Omega Backstroke Starting Platform
    Last edited by ande; January 3rd, 2014 at 11:53 AM.

Blog Entries

So this is a little ledge dangled in the water from the block on which your heel rests? The only images I could find were above the water, and didn't show how the swimmer's foot interacts with them.

Blog Entries

A short video...

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com.../usa/34908.asp

Great news. Most backstrokers have never felt too confident about getting a solid foothold at the start.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    So this is a little ledge dangled in the water from the block on which your heel rests? The only images I could find were above the water, and didn't show how the swimmer's foot interacts with them.
    I believe the best way is to have your toes on the touchpad and the ball of your feet on the wedge.
    YOU WOULD NOT WANT TO REST YOUR HEELS ON IT.

Should the finish of the stroke involve a flick down of the hand in order to initiate body roll? If not, how is body roll initiated as I have a hard time accepting that it is the kick?

Also should hand scull on exit or knife out on exit?

Blog Entries

Should the finish of the stroke involve a flick down of the hand in order to initiate body roll? If not, how is body roll initiated as I have a hard time accepting that it is the kick?

Body roll is achieved by leaning into the stroke as your arm enters the water. You can use momentum of the recovery arm to help drive and rotate your torso for each roll. A backstroke kick is usually a constant 6 beat (2 left.. 2 straight up... 2 right). Legs straight, toes pointed. The kick pattern is a direct result of the rolling action.

Regarding the finish, when one leans into the catch with the entry arm, the roll is going to drive both the opposite hip and underwater hand closer to the surface (as it's getting ready for the recovery). Try to exit thumb first. As you said, knife out.

This coach has some good observations in his article on two different styles...

http://russellpayne.org/2011/10/13/b...ng-or-rolling/

It depends on the touchpad being used... I loved the Colorado pads at Greensboro a few years ago, maybe they're a bit more course than Omega. But I'm really looking forward to trying a submerged ledge.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

"Flick Down" puts your hand deeper in the water, that extra little push probably isn't worth it.

ON exit, finish your stroke then pop your hand out thumb first. You don't need to do an extra little scull.

Thanks - that video was helpful. I prefer the Japanese swimmer's stroke to Lochte's stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    As of Jan. 1, 2014, a new backstroke starting ledge will be permitted for starts. The ledge is comparable to the wedge or fin device now used on blocks for forward starts and hangs from the starting block by straps. The rule for use of the ledge will still require both feet to be in contact with the wall or pad, and the toes will not be allowed to curl over the top of the gutter or timing pad. Once an athlete starts, the ledge will have to be removed for turns and finishes. It is advised that a coach or teammate remove the device for the athlete after the start and place it on the deck. FINA will be releasing specifications and dimensions for those approved wedges in the coming weeks.
    I hope someone from Santa Clara can tell us before Nationals whether or not they will have these devices. If so, I hope I can find a way to practice with one! On ordinary walls I usually stagger my feet to reduce the risk of slipping.

a comment on Omega touch pads ... i think they are terrible ... i just competed in a masters meet at georgia tech and they have these pads ... the surface is far more slippery than other pads i've used ... completely bombed my first race the 100 scm back, after my foot slipped i was dead in the water ... didn't have the option of just holding onto the gutter as they are full height pads ... my 2 other starts were cautious and very slow ... omega should be pushing for this new "starting ledge"

Quote Originally Posted by jackback View Post
    a comment on Omega touch pads ... i think they are terrible ... i just competed in a masters meet at georgia tech and they have these pads ... the surface is far more slippery than other pads i've used ... completely bombed my first race the 100 scm back, after my foot slipped i was dead in the water ... didn't have the option of just holding onto the gutter as they are full height pads ... my 2 other starts were cautious and very slow ... omega should be pushing for this new "starting ledge"
    It really seems to depend on the model line of the pads! Over my ~18 years of racing, I've pushed off of pretty much every variety of pad on the market. I've had slippery and grippy Omegas, slippery and grippy Colorado pads, and whatever other brands of pads there are. The worst was one meet about a decade ago--prelims and finals of the 200 back I was in different lanes...and one had a grippy pad and the other had a slippery pad. Both looked identical, just felt different. Great prelims, bombed the start in finals.

a word in regards to the new "backstroke ledge" that has been approved by FINA ... with the number of different blocks that are scattered about in our pools this device might be block specific which probably means it will be awhile till it gets to a pool near you ... could this be an instance of reinventing the wheel ? ... most pools i've swam and competed in have open finish gutters and use touch pads that hang on the gutter ... there is a built in backstroke ledge, its called the "lip of the gutter" ... years ago that is what we used and that was with or without touch pads and starts were quicker and i don't remember anyone getting hurt in 7 years of competition ... the only place you couldn't do this are in pools with overhangs on the finish gutters who also have full height finish pads, then a ledge would help ... but this is probably a small percentage of pools in this country ...
    another problem with full height finish pads is it slows the meet down ... at a meet at georgia tech recently they had the full height pads and 85% plus people could not climb out at the finish end but had to slide over to the side wall at the conclusion of every race to use the ladder ( myself included ) ... thats 10 lanes of swimmers ... no "over the top starting" there

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jackback View Post
    a word in regards to the new "backstroke ledge" that has been approved by FINA ... with the number of different blocks that are scattered about in our pools this device might be block specific which probably means it will be awhile till it gets to a pool near you ... could this be an instance of reinventing the wheel ? ... most pools i've swam and competed in have open finish gutters and use touch pads that hang on the gutter ... there is a built in backstroke ledge, its called the "lip of the gutter"
    My recollection is that most non-US pools do NOT have gutters like this at the end of the pool, hence standardization on the gutterless so-called "FINA walls" (the full height pads you mention). I believe that's the main reason, back in the day, that you were not allowed to do stand-up starts in SCM/LCM meets or otherwise curl your toes over the gutter.

I haven't used one yet but I think the ledges are a great idea.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast