Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The Backstroke Lane

Re: The Backstroke Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn View Post
    I'm told we are oxygen addicts
    I grew up running, not swimming, so the idea of having limited access to sweet, sweet air was really alienating to me at first. Once I learned backstroke, all was well.

Besides, any biologist will tell you that aerobic glycolysis is a vastly more efficient way to release the energy bound in stored ATP than anaerobic.

Blog Entries

Y'know, this lane should just be closed...or if it has to be open...let it be in the aqua-aerobics area!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SwimStud View Post
    Y'know, this lane should just be closed...or if it has to be open...let it be in the aqua-aerobics area!
    Hater!

Glad you shared that. Do you have anything useful to add to the thread?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Novaova View Post
    Glad you shared that. Do you have anything useful to add to the thread?
    Yup, nose clips are for wimps...that help?

Blog Entries

Stud, a nose clip is a wonderful tool for backstrokers. There are people that don't have the ability to plug their nose while kicking underwater, like myself. Nose clips allow us to "plug" our noses, to take advantage of the underwater kicking.

PS. When was the last time you raced backstroke race over 50m?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    PS. When was the last time you raced backstroke race over 50m?

OK the words "race" and "backstroke" cannot truly be used together when referring to me...although I just set a PB!

I just thought you'd all be happier in the aqua-noodle section with the other folks that don't like to get their faces wet...

Blog Entries

Just started using one ... LOVE it. I'm fine with being a wimp, especially in the backstroke lane. Stud, you can laugh at me during my 50 back at nats, I promise decent underwater kicking and then entertainment value, then decent underwater kicking and finally more entertainment value.
    "I don't race to see who is the fastest, I race to see who has the most guts."

Blog Entries

OK the words "race" and "backstroke" cannot truly be used together when referring to me...although I just set a PB!

I just thought you'd all be happier in the aqua-noodle section with the other folks that don't like to get their faces wet...
    Mmmm....no, I just like to look at everyone around me. Being a backstroker, as Chris pointed out, is a lot more enjoyable than any other stroke. We do get to see different things as we swim, compared to having our face buried in the water while only looking at the black line.

It takes skill to navigate on one's back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlyQueen View Post
    Just started using one ... LOVE it. I'm fine with being a wimp, especially in the backstroke lane. Stud, you can laugh at me during my 50 back at nats, I promise decent underwater kicking and then entertainment value, then decent underwater kicking and finally more entertainment value.
    Nose clips are a magical thing. Right up there with the monofin. I wore one for the first time last year at my Zones meet and dropped .6 in a 50 back from a previous fully tapered time. And it makes staying underwater so much more comfortable and enjoyable.

Blog Entries

I'm a convert to the nose clip in the past year and find it great. I've never had anyone make a negative comment about wearing one.

Very Active Member Karen Duggan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love my noseclip.
    If the walls are slippery I use the gutter.
    I know why Aaron Piersonl dropped time. He did change his stroke.
    At our Training Camp in March we watched a backstroke video with guess who as the model?
    As they were showing his pull underwater I said to my coach, "Wow he pulls really deep" (you'd have to see the video to know what I'm referring to, sorry I can't be more specific). He said, "You're right. I'm glad you pointed that out b/c Aaron has since changed that part of his stroke."
    He used to have more of a straightarm, deep pull. Now his elbow is far more bent and he is not as deep. That's how I've been told to swim backstroke. Since using my lats more to pull (with that bent elbow and not as deep) I have dropped a lot of time in workout sets.
    Remains to be seen, in a race, when I taper
    K.Duggan

Very Active Member

Ah, the infamous backstroke... :P

I was never able to swim backstroke properly (my BR is actually considerably faster than my backstroke...). I believe this is partly due to the fact that I never got much instruction regarding the adequate technique. When I try to go faster I feel like I'm wasting a lot of energy, (I'm putting a lot of effort into the stroke, but not actually getting a decent speed).

Could someone give me a few begginer tips? Some good drills would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
    "Think of your breaststroke as a jewel: You never hammer it, you only polish it."

Very Active Member jaegermeister's Avatar

I tried a noseclip once, but only lasted a 50. I don't really know what went wrong, but it wasn't a good experience. Do others have a suggestion about adapting to this? It would be nice to experience the breakthrough others have experienced.

I've not really felt the need for a nose clip. I think I'm a big mouth breather. Does mouth vs. nose breathing separate us into those likely to benefit from noseclips?

Anyone have a Piersol video link that shows his catch/pull?

BTW, here's a good 200 back blast from the past: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdzF0Yo-TlU&feature=fvw"]YouTube- Lochte Snaps Peirsol's Streak[/nomedia]

Love SWIMMING! Ahelee Sue Osborn's Avatar

Bumping up my favorite lane to the TOP of The Forum this morning!

Check out this clip of The Man in the front of our lane!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94HHTiC7Xgk"]YouTube- Aaron Peirsol[/nomedia]

Jaeger... you can see brilliant flashes of Aaron's underwater in this clip - but of course, it is never enough!

I'm off to train with and coach one of our favorite Forumites on his backstroke today.
    No names, lets' just see if anyone notices.
    This would be my best birthday gift.
    Backstroke love...

Toes or Noes?

Settle a bet: My lunchmate said toes must be under the water line at the start. Oh no, sayeth I, on a flat wall, with no gutter, toes may indeed be above the water line.

I bring this up because the nats pool at Georgia Tech has flat walls, with no gutters. At least, that's way it was set up when I swam there last December. I prefer my feet a little higher on the wall, so toes out appeals to me.

The various rulebooks mention gutters, but nothing about the feet in relation to the water line. Was this ever a rule? My interpretation is in a pool with no gutters, toes out is fine.

2010 USMS Swimming Code Part I (p.1-2)
    101.1.2 Backstroke Start
    B All courses—The swimmers shall line up in the water facing the starting end with both hands placed on the gutter or on the starting grips. Standing in or on the gutter, placing the toes above the lip of the gutter or bending the toes over the lip of the gutter before or after the start is prohibited.
    USAS 2010 Rules and Regulations (p. 20)
    101.4 BACKSTROKE
    .1 Start — The swimmers shall line up in the water facing the starting end, with both hands placed on the gutter or on the starting grips. Standing in or on the gutter, placing the toes above the lip of the gutter, or bending the toes over the lip of the gutter, before or after the start, is prohibited.
    Current FINA Rule
    SW 6.1 Prior to the starting signal, the swimmers shall line up in the water facing the starting end, with both hands holding the starting grips. Standing in or on the gutter or bending the toes over the lip of the gutter is prohibited.
    In the attached screenshot from about 2:24 in the vid Ahelee posted, the swimmer in the foreground clearly has about half his foot out of the water. So I presume toes out is legal.

So, toes out ok?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ToesOut.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	2010  

Blog Entries

So I presume toes out is legal.
    They are allowed out (above the water line).

Just not allowed inside the gutters...in case there are any.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Toes or Noes?

Settle a bet: My lunchmate said toes must be under the water line at the start. Oh no, sayeth I, on a flat wall, with no gutter, toes may indeed be above the water line.

I bring this up because the nats pool at Georgia Tech has flat walls, with no gutters. At least, that's way it was set up when I swam there last December. I prefer my feet a little higher on the wall, so toes out appeals to me.
    You are correct: on a flat wall, toes can be above the waterline. I believe some part of the foot has to be below the water, but I'd have to check the rules (too lazy to do it right now).

But are you sure that the flat walls will be installed at GA Tech? Many pools have the option to do this, or not. (Personally, I'm with you: I'd love flat walls for backstroke starts.)

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

It seems to me that during my "former swimming life" nearly 30 years ago toes curled around the lip of the gutter *was* allowed and I seem to remember the coach even instructing us to do this so our feet would not slip on the start. Then, when I was in high school or so, the rule changed, toes curled over the gutter lip was no longer allowed. Do I remember correctly? If so, does anyone know why the rule was changed? It seems to make the start a lot harder, and curling the toes over the gutter lip certainly does not make the pool shorter.
    Last edited by Karl_S; May 17th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    It seems to me that during my "former swimming life" nearly 30 years ago toes curled around the lip of the gutter *was* allowed and I seem to remember the coach even instructing us to do this so our feet would not slip on the start. Then, when I was in high school or so, the rule changed, toes curled over the gutter lip was no longer allowed. Do I remember correctly? If so, does anyone know why the rule was changed? It seem to make the start a lot harder, and curline the toes over the gutter lip certainly does not make the pool shorter.
    A long time ago, "toes curled around the gutter" was allowed for SCY but in meters (and in international meets) the foot had to be completely submerged.

Heck, in HS and college I used to do stand-up starts...which I surely do miss...

I don't know why exactly they were changed, I was out of "serious" swimming by that point. But I suspect it was to keep the rules uniform between the courses.

Almost every European pool I ever swam in (there were pretty many but I certainly can't claim it was exhaustive) did NOT have gutters at the end, they had flat walls (there were usually gutters on the sides of the pool). So maybe the rule that the feet had to be under -- with no toe curling -- was originally done so that backstrokers at pools with gutters at the end wouldn't have a huge advantage over the ones at pools without those gutters. But that is pure conjecture.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast