Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Backstroke Lane

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

Re: The Backstroke Lane

Elaine,

What I have my age group breaststokers try to concentrate on with thier kick during backstroke is turn the toes towards each other and try to lightly have them touch during the kick. This does several things:

1 - keeps the focus on a smaller tighter kick
    2 - helps to keep the knees straighter
    3 - gives them real feedback on if they are doing it correctly

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pwolf66 View Post
    Elaine,

What I have my age group breaststokers try to concentrate on with thier kick during backstroke is turn the toes towards each other and try to lightly have them touch during the kick. This does several things:

1 - keeps the focus on a smaller tighter kick
    2 - helps to keep the knees straighter
    3 - gives them real feedback on if they are doing it correctly
    Thanks, Paul! I'm on my way to the pool (along with my husband and camera...), so I'll give it a try.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Thanks, Paul! I'm on my way to the pool (along with my husband and camera...), so I'll give it a try.
    I see that I forgot that the idea is to have the big toe of each foot lightly touch, not all of them, sorry.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

I see that I forgot that the idea is to have the big toe of each foot lightly touch, not all of them, sorry.
    Uh, Paul, I figured that one out on my own! I still need to check my video from this morning and see how I did with that... Thanks!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Since we're at the beginning of a new season
    I thought I'd bump all the lanes to see which one is winning

Blog Entries

How many of you wear a nose clip for backstroke? Do you wear it for a specific race, 50/100/200?

Do you wear it all the time on backstroke sets in practice or only on certain sets?

Blog Entries

I've tried using a nose clip because I think it will help me on my SDK, but I just can't swim with it on. I get too confused since I always exhale through my nose on backstroke and the nose-clip gets me so out of my groove that I can't even swim. I guess I should devote a little more time to it before I abandon it altogether.
    I'm interested to see what others have to say about them...

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gigi View Post
    I've tried using a nose clip because I think it will help me on my SDK, but I just can't swim with it on. I get too confused since I always exhale through my nose on backstroke and the nose-clip gets me so out of my groove that I can't even swim.
    I can't imagine using a nose clip as long as you are used to breathing out of your nose. Even in my (albeit horrible) back stroke, I breath in through the mouth and out through the nose.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

In backstroke, if you are positioned correctly head to toe, water is going to invariably run across your face. No-one should ever assume that backstrokers keep their face dry.

That said, I need every orifice above water to be pulling air on my behalf in anything over a 25 yd swim, so no nose clip for me!!

Breathing: Once per cycle, or twice per cycle (on every stroke)?

Why or why not?

Does it matter?

Very Active Member moodyrichardson's Avatar

I'm loving this thread! I'm training to swim a 50 and 100 backstroke in an October meet. For the past 2 weeks, I've been putting it all together: starts, swim, flips, SDKs. I'm sure that I'm still sloppy on some things, but I'm having a great time practicing! Will keep you all posted on how the meet goes.

BTW, I DO use noseclips, when I swim backstroke. No matter how hard I try,i end up with a snout full of water. Any other stroke, I don't use them. I've found that I actually swim faster with them on! Not sure what the difference is, but it seems to work out that way.

Blog Entries

I was reading the other day that a coach teaches his swimmers to enter the water thumb first.

He said is less stressful on the shoulder. It helps promotes better rotation and a better catch. Plus, it helps prevent swimmers from crossing over.

Has anyone tried this idea or heard about it before?

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    I was reading the other day that a coach teaches his swimmers to enter the water thumb first.

He said is less stressful on the shoulder. It helps promotes better rotation and a better catch. Plus, it helps prevent swimmers from crossing over.

Just trying that in my cube here (yes) that seems awkward. You'd have to rotate your hand underwater to get it in the right catch and pull position (at least from what I can tell).

It also is making my shoulder pop. I'll stop now.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

I have no idea how that is even possible. I've tried mimicking the move on dryland and just can not see to get a catch at all, much less a good catch. Entering thumb first requires a rotation of combination of lower arm and shoulder to bring the hand to a position to be able to press against the water.

Got any video?

Blog Entries

I have no idea how that is even possible. I've tried mimicking the move on dryland and just can not see to get a catch at all, much less a good catch. Entering thumb first requires a rotation of combination of lower arm and shoulder to bring the hand to a position to be able to press against the water.

Got any video?
    Nope. I was reading about it on GoSwim. A coach(somewhere in the US) posted a comment about teaching the thumb entry. I can mimick it on dryland. Really, this isn't much different than how I enter now.

I enter with the back of the hand, because rotating to get the pinky first causes my shoulders to flare-up.

I was curious to see if anyone else had heard or tried this idea.

Tough like a donut
    Blog Entries

Nope. I was reading about it on GoSwim. A coach(somewhere in the US) posted a comment about teaching the thumb entry. I can mimick it on dryland. Really, this isn't much different than how I enter now.

I enter with the back of the hand, because rotating to get the pinky first causes my shoulders to flare-up.

I was curious to see if anyone else had heard or tried this idea.
    Thumb first? Really? I just don't see how you can setup a good catch quickly as you have to body roll and your have to rotate the hand to a pinky downward position, which seems to be a waste of time over entering pinky first.

I've heard of a neutral entry (i.e slapping the back of the hand) but I've never heard of a thumb first entry.

Blog Entries

Thumb first? Really? I just don't see how you can setup a good catch quickly as you have to body roll and your have to rotate the hand to a pinky downward position, which seems to be a waste of time over entering pinky first.

I've heard of a neutral entry (i.e slapping the back of the hand) but I've never heard of a thumb first entry.
    I am inclined to agree with you about the wasted motion but it could be like lot of things in swimming, one size doesn't fit all.

I am thumb back until right before the surface. I rotate the hand in one very fast smooth motion. My body roll sets up the shoulder rotation which is continued down through the hand. If you are rotating the hand underwater (thumb first entry) it's going to slow or kill your initial catch. You are going to have to dive the hand about a foot below the surface and rotate it before you can start your pull. FYI Peirsol starts his catch (at the wrist) when his hand is about an inch below the surface.

Also , if you are slapping the surface, you may not have enough body rotation. I can be painful to pinky enter if the body is not rolled over. You can also widen your entry to help get that hand over. Stretching your pecs also helps too.

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post

Why or why not?

Does it matter?
    For me, based on the choices you gave, once. Usually as the right arm moves up. I tried twice, but felt like I was hyper-ventilating.

Very Active Member moodyrichardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post

Why or why not?

Does it matter?
    Hmmm. I'm not sure. I usually just breathe, when I need to? Is that bad?

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast