Thread: Bags for swimming stuff

Very Active Member

Bags for swimming stuff

I want to know what type of bag people use to carry their stuff to the pool. For a long time I had a Kiefer mesh bag that was great. It finally after 8 years was too ripped to carry anything. I bough ta Try mesh bag and it lasted maybe 4 months ( I hate Try products.). I tried using a draw bag I got when I started grad school. I tis too small. I am using a North Face book bag right now and it is too heavy. Because my Y doesn't offer over night lockers, I have to carry all my equipment with me everyday.
    Please help. I don't want to spend a lot of money and have a bag I can't use.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Very Active Member

Re: Bags for swimming stuff

For my equipment, I have been using my Nike mesh bag that used to be a Go the Distance prize. It has lasted me 5 years and counting. For my suit, towels, shampoo, etc., I carry a Speedo backpack.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

I use this for my swim gear:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/speedo-d...2/?color=39379
    and a Nike / USMS duffel bag for my dry gear.

http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

I guess I would be classed as a "minimalist" these days. My gear consists of a jammer, some Swedes and a padlock. If I feel like pulling, I grab a buoy from the shelf at the pool. I don't use paddles, snorkels, or other "toys," so my knapsack or a plastic shopping bag work just fine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Remember, you're lapping everybody who's sitting at home on the couch.

Very Active Member

No towel?

Blog Entries

I'm currently on my second Speedo backpack. Lots of room, several compartments, and quite durable.

Blog Entries

Nope. I swim at the local YMCA these days, and just grab a couple off the counter on my way in.
    Last edited by smontanaro; August 23rd, 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smontanaro View Post
    I guess I would be classed as a "minimalist" these days. My gear consists of a jammer, some Swedes and a padlock. If I feel like pulling, I grab a buoy from the shelf at the pool. I don't use paddles, snorkels, or other "toys," so my knapsack or a plastic shopping bag work just fine...
    I use a small bag too. People on my team say its a murse. Big enough for goggles, paddles, a brush and deodorant. I attach a combo lock to the handle and lock my suit to the outside of the bag so it is dry for the next workout.

Blog Entries

I have a large speedo duffel which I like, but it weighs a ton. The only equipment I bring (other than cap, goggles, towel and change of clothes if I am going after work) is a pull buoy. I'm not sure why it weighs so much but I'm thinking of getting a backpack since that would probably be better for my shoulders than a super heavy duffel, especially since I have a bit of a walk from the car to the locker room.

Anyone's back pack seems the best way to go. Cheap "caribeiners to hold suits and fins on the outside work.

A currently have a large Speedo backpack for my 'dry' gear: after-practice clothes, dry towel, spare jammers, wallet, keys, phone, notebook, etc., and a large mesh bag for my 'wet' training gear (goggles, fins, paddles, pull buoy, ankle bands & snorkel). I used a Christmas gift card from my kids to get the Speedo backpack. The mesh bag was relatively inexpensive, about $10-$15.
    Previously, i just used a large gym duffel bag. That worked OK too.

Very Active Member

My Y doesn't have towel service. It is basically inner city and tries to keep cheap. Funny thing is htat few if any neighborhood people are members.

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

If you are talking about a mesh bag to carry gear (fins, pull buoy, etc.), go to Walmart and buy a mesh laundry bag. I've used them before and they lasted as long as the swim-branded mesh bags.

Anna Lea

Quote Originally Posted by craiglll@yahoo.com View Post
    My Y doesn't have towel service. It is basically inner city and tries to keep cheap. Funny thing is htat few if any neighborhood people are members.
    Like others have mentioned...IF I decide to use any equipment/toys...my usual pool provides them. So I only have to carry my suit, goggles, cap, and towel. One never really knows when or if towels will be available even if they are usually provided by the pool. For that reason I carry one with me at all times...clipped to the exterior of my backpack with a caribeiner. Not a regular towel, but two "ShamWow!" that I sewed together, fold in fours, and then cut a hole in the corners. The water wrings out easily, doesn't get funky, and dries quickly.

Dan

Participating Member

When I go to the indoor pool at the YMCA I used the Speedo Teamster large as both dry land gym bag and swim bag, but I keep stuff that goes with me to the pool deck in a cheap mesh tote that was $5.99 at amazon. i arrived at the YMCA with mesh bag inside the backpack, but keep it out on the way home. I don't like having wet stuff inside nylon bags. My teen son has been using a mesh Jansport backpack with bottle pocket that was half price at the local outlets for years. I've also used a Jansport mesh pack for the pool and as a transition bag for wetsuit etc. I'm not mimimalist enough to use it regularly though

Very Active Member

I have a small mesh bag for my paddles and suits. But I don't drive so I am looking for a smaller back pack. I have smacked, by accident too many people on the bus with a big bag. I will look into the Jansport.

I've got something like this that I carry my fins, gloves, kickboard, and goggles in: