Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fins Fins Fins

Very Active Member

Fins Fins Fins

I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Fins Fins Fins

USMS Fin Review!

BORKED

USMS Membership Director Jayhawk's Avatar

I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair.

Here's a link:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/tyr-burn...-22453/?color=

Very Active Member FindingMyInnerFish's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    I know fins are good training tool, take some of the pressure off my sore rotator cuff, and do improve my kick after even a couple laps. But the Speedos I have feel really heavy. I'm small, and am looking for fins that won't weigh me down so any suggestions would be appreciated.
    You might have the same Speedo fins I have--and I've abandoned mine for Zoomers, which are much lighter and more comfortable but for one thing: my toes get chafed a lot wearing them. I have found though that Vaseline or Bodyglide seems to help with that, if I remember to put it on before swimming.

Even with the chafing issue, the Zoomers definitely get a thumbs-up, much more so than the Speedos which felt so heavy that I couldn't stand them for more than a couple laps.

Bought a pair of zoomers shortly after they came out. Have never used any other brand since.
    Love them!

I have a pair of Zoomers, too. I kind of alternate between them and the TYR Burners.

The Zoomers are heavier and stiffer than the TYR Burners.

Then why use the Zoomers? The reason I use the Zoomers is because they are heavier and I think they make my legs work a little harder (which is something I need).

The TYR fins may be the most comfortable I've ever worn, as far as the way the foot pocket fits. It's a nice, soft material and doesn't rub or chafe like the Zoomers sometimes do.

Anna Lea

Very Active Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

I have a very small foot (size 3 women's), and I don't see the TYR fins as coming in a small size (3 Men's is as small as they come on the website, and that is much too big for my little feet). I couldn't find the Zoomers in a kid's size that fit, either, as they're either too big or too narrow.

Someone somewhere mentioned a pair of TYR fins that were especially light and good for beginners. Does anyone know what they might be?

Masters swimmers love using fins, and I do agree that they can provide benefits to your overall swimming development. However, a few words of caution...

1) If you're going to purchase fins, I would recommend the shorter fins, as some of the others have suggested. Fins that adhere more to the shape of your foot will be better for strengthening purposes. All fins can have the potential of giving you ankle problems, but this is particularly noticeable with longer and larger fins. Furthermore, overuse of these type of fins can change the structure of your kick to your detriment.

2) Use fins only sparingly. Many swimmers love the speeds that they can achieve when they have their fins on, and they will start using fins as a crutch instead of as a tool. I would suggest limiting the time you spend with your fins.

Very Active Member

Thanks, everyone, that is a great video. And thank you to Julia for the wise advice. I only started to use my fins recently, because I was told that it would help reduce somewhat the overuse of my shoulder, which is still in a lot of discomfort from rotator tendinitis. I find them to be rather cumbersome. And much heavier than my old snorkel fins, which would get me across the lane in, like, two seconds LOL.

I"m not much of a fins fan because of what Julia said, I think they too easily become a crutch. A friend uses her zoomers every time she swims, and never takes them off. I've been using Speed Short Blade Training Fins, and to me they just feel too heavy and like they're pulling my legs down.

Blog Entries

One "benefit," I suppose, of the Zoomers' tendency to cause chafing (which can happen if I use them for too long in any given practice, even w / using Vaseline or Body Glide --these products help up to a point) is that I won't get addicted to them. I find them helpful for kick sets but they come off for everything else!

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseMW View Post
    I have a very small foot (size 3 women's), and I don't see the TYR fins as coming in a small size (3 Men's is as small as they come on the website, and that is much too big for my little feet). I couldn't find the Zoomers in a kid's size that fit, either, as they're either too big or too narrow.
    Denise,

I have another pair of fins (also from fin testing!) that I use for open water that are too big for me. So I got a pair of neoprene socks and I wear them under the fins. The neoprene socks are thick (made of wetsuit fabric) and take up a lot of room. I'll bet that if you buy the smallest size of the TYR Burners, and then get a pair of neoprene socks, that they'll work together.

Here are examples of the socks (I own the Speedo Neo Socks):
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/swim-socks-c9653/

Very Active Member

Thanks, Jayhawk. That's a great idea, and I hadn't even considered it. I'd like to get to the swim store and try the TYR Burners and the Zoomers to see which are the better feel, but the fins from Australia looked pretty cool, too.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
    I'm in that video that Swimosaur posted above. I still love the TYR Burner EBP Floating Fins that we tested in the video. I got a pair back then, they finally wore out, and I bought another pair.

Here's a link:
    http://www.swimoutlet.com/p/tyr-burn...-22453/?color=
    +1. I especially appreciate the flexibility and comfort of these fins. They are the only fins I have been able to use without wearing water socks to prevent blisters.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Zoomers real are stiff & rough on my foot. I much prefer Kiefer silicone fins that are softer. I use them only for full kicking sets.

Blog Entries

I can see wearing fins to reduce the strain on your shoulders, but is there any reason to use them otherwise? Other than to go faster, that is. Whenever I've worn fins I definitely go faster, but it doesn't seem to make me work my legs harder and I also wonder if the fins affect kicking technique.

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    I can see wearing fins to reduce the strain on your shoulders, but is there any reason to use them otherwise? Other than to go faster, that is. Whenever I've worn fins I definitely go faster, but it doesn't seem to make me work my legs harder and I also wonder if the fins affect kicking technique.
    Agreed. I do see a benefit to fins for the dolphin kick, but definitely not as much for the freestyle. Even if you do manage to strengthen your leg muscles using fins, I have observed that swimmers who use fins on a regular basis tend to have a slower kick rate. Additionally, the structure of the kick changes - as I mentioned earlier - with the tendency towards a bent-knee, wider style of kick. You can actually see this quite clearly in the review video posted above at about 1:47.

Many coaches tend to prescribe fins for beginner swimmers who have trouble completing specific drills. Personally, I think this is simply taking the easy way out. Instead of adjusting the drill to allow these swimmers to strengthen their kick and their core unaided, putting the fins on is a quick way to make the swimmer feel faster and allow the practice to proceed without interruption or additional coaching.

Bottom line: use fins - or any other swim tools - sparingly!

Blog Entries

I use fins quite liberally. They've had a positive impact on my speed and shoulder health. Maybe I'm using the perfect type for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    I use fins quite liberally. They've had a positive impact on my speed and shoulder health. Maybe I'm using the perfect type for me.
    What kind do you use, Steve?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swimspire View Post
    Agreed. I do see a benefit to fins for the dolphin kick, but definitely not as much for the freestyle. Even if you do manage to strengthen your leg muscles using fins, I have observed that swimmers who use fins on a regular basis tend to have a slower kick rate. Additionally, the structure of the kick changes - as I mentioned earlier - with the tendency towards a bent-knee, wider style of kick. You can actually see this quite clearly in the review video posted above at about 1:47. ...

Bottom line: use fins - or any other swim tools - sparingly!
    I'm intrigued by this comment on the change in kick. My coaches have had me use fins for kick sets for the purpose of improving my kick (which tends to be more from the knees with feet not pointed). The idea seemed to be that the fins would help correct that. I will say I'm glad to have them for kick sets b/c instead of being hopelessly behind everyone else, I'm only a LITTLE behind everyone. I still have a ways to go. Typically I won't use the fins for anything but kick sets--the toe chafing aspect keeps me honest that way, but also I would rather not get too used to something I can't use for racing.

Very Active Member

I only use the fins for two reasons - reduce shoulder strain, and loosen up my legs and ankles. When I take them off, my kick just feels stronger somehow. I only do a few laps with them to warm, certainly, I don't use them for my entire workout, they're too uncomfortable.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast