Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041
Results 801 to 812 of 812

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

  1. #801
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    12

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Jim, I am in awe of flyers that can do your type of sets. I am. I am out of breath after every significant set. I do not know how you guys do that, but I really want to be in that group (and I am trying!).

  2. #802
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    741

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by dinicti View Post
    Jim, I am in awe of flyers that can do your type of sets. I am. I am out of breath after every significant set. I do not know how you guys do that, but I really want to be in that group (and I am trying!).
    there are 2 things that are required to do fly:
    1) timing
    2) strength/endurance
    if you dont have the strength/endurance to keep your timing...you die
    if you dont have the timing it doesnt matter how much strength/endurance you have...you will die
    when you lose either you go vertical and its "game over man, game over!
    Last edited by sunruh; December 11th, 2017 at 10:32 PM.

  3. #803
    Very Active Member __steve__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    s c
    Posts
    2,426
    Blog Entries
    716

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I remember my first 50 LCM fly. I died with 15m to go - in a 50! lol

  4. #804
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    there are 2 things that are required to do fly:
    1) timing
    2) strength/endurance
    if you dont have the strength/endurance to keep your timing...you die
    if you dont have the timing it doesnt matter how much strength/endurance you have...you will die
    when you lose either you go vertical and its "game over man, game over!

    Steve...I agree...the other part I think plays a role is as we age is "core strength". When the core dies, the legs die, then the arms die and you go vertical. as I age I am trying to do more core strength training a 2-3 days a weeks.

  5. #805
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    741

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by jimsauer View Post
    Steve...I agree...the other part I think plays a role is as we age is "core strength". When the core dies, the legs die, then the arms die and you go vertical. as I age I am trying to do more core strength training a 2-3 days a weeks.
    jim, would you care to share what you do for your core work?

    somehow i dont think my blue bell ice cream core workout is doing the trick!

  6. #806
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    7

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by sunruh View Post
    jim, would you care to share what you do for your core work?

    somehow i dont think my blue bell ice cream core workout is doing the trick!
    Steve,
    anytime...I have a gym set up in my garage!

  7. #807
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    12

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Thanks. I am pretty sure my timing can be fine-tuned to relax during the arm/chest in the water, but my strength/endurance isn't too bad (especially relative to other strokes). I have been working on this for 2 yrs (granted I started from near beginning as I haven't swam since HS). It is okay, as I am slowly improving as I am now swimming 12-14k yards/wk. vs. <10 k before joining Masters.

  8. #808
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    12

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    The other issue maybe I am not breathing enough. I do one breath and then no breath. For a 50 or 75 that is fine (at practice, perhaps at a meet that will be okay for a 100), but when I turn to go from 75, I fatigue and feel short-of-breath (SOB)--unless I go slow, 100 yds 1:14 slow. I also feel SOB when I try to do B-fly sets in a normal training interval manner--I need more rest than the prescribed rest time.

    So, I will try to do sets where I breathe more frequently 2 breaths and then no breath. Will see.

  9. #809
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    12

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I am humbly placing a couple of 50 yd. fly videos; quality of video isn't (I have to work on it) great, but hopefully viewable. I am still trying to improve getting my head down before arms, relaxing my hands and arms as they enter, and pressing my chest more. At my Masters program, coaching has been minimal on my fly, so please be ruthless in your criticisms and comments; do not worry about hurting feelings. This is the first time I loaded something onto YouTube (pretty darn easy). Thank you in advance.

    https://youtu.be/tXcJDlYvCMU
    https://youtu.be/ALfTl8km9Ug

  10. #810
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cedar Park, TX
    Posts
    741

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    sorry to say but the camera angles and lighting are so poor that cannot really tell anything in your 2 videos

  11. #811
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    52

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by dinicti View Post
    I am humbly placing a couple of 50 yd. fly videos; quality of video isn't (I have to work on it) great, but hopefully viewable. I am still trying to improve getting my head down before arms, relaxing my hands and arms as they enter, and pressing my chest more. At my Masters program, coaching has been minimal on my fly, so please be ruthless in your criticisms and comments; do not worry about hurting feelings. This is the first time I loaded something onto YouTube (pretty darn easy). Thank you in advance.

    https://youtu.be/tXcJDlYvCMU
    https://youtu.be/ALfTl8km9Ug
    I can’t swim fly as well as you so am not one to make any kind of constructive criticism, but I’d be surprised if your coach would say anything other than ‘good job’.

  12. #812
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    12

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Thank you Arrieros. I will try to get a better video, Sunruh. At minimum in early March when I do my first meet in over 3 decades.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Similar Threads

  1. What is your pet peeve about swimming?
    By in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 316
    Last Post: October 19th, 2016, 12:40 AM
  2. Lane Etiquette (question on moving lanes)
    By SaltySwimmer in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
  3. Lane N or Lane N-1?
    By twosox in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
  4. Butterfly, Discussion on Overall Technique
    By gjy in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: September 17th, 2005, 07:15 AM
  5. Butterfly turn
    By breastroker in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •