Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

Participating Member

Re: The Butterfly Lane

Recovering from almost having my thumb joint removed 3 weeks ago by a BF 30+ swimmer. ( 3d injury on this team) Coaches are not willing to have send off and figure out who will be coming toward you, Woman on team away get injured ,including a 40 yo woman who broke a bone in her hand earlier this year. I am looking out for a new club with more safety awareness and willingness to use USMS insurance to cover treatment for injuries. I am 64 and cannot afford injuries. Joan C

Thanx Elaine for looking. I have [ONCE] been national champion at Mesa with this stroke and in 4 other Nationals and never been DQed. I am now 2nd guessing myself as to changing my stroke.

Participating Member

My first post and I want to thank everyone that have previously posted. I have been stalking this board and gaining from it. I am 50, swam in HS and fly has and will be my favorite stroke. For health reasons (dx with diabetes) I restarted swimming, which I have been training solo for a couple of yrs. after not swimming for 30+ yrs.

I am not against long distance fly, but when I am old, infirmed and w/c bound I will recall the wonderful vitality of full head-on max-speed of fly. I love that.

I haven't been able to practice block starts (I will at some point), but my wall push-off for 50 scy is 30 sec. and 75 is 49. I am working on my endurance for 100, I am at the start of this as it took 2 yrs. to build my endurance for 75 scy.

I am working on soft hands as well and having my pull through be more mid-line, along with better non first wall push offs during my fly sets.

I am very impressed with the many that have a great work-out. I do 350 to 375 of fly during my work-out (75, 3x 25s, other stuff, and then 4x 50s) and I am gassed (happily). Finally, I had been doing my underwater dolphins on my side, but with the FINA rule change, I have been forgoing that. I have moved on, but wished that rule was not placed.

Participating Member

I also want to add that swimming butterfly can humble you like no other regular activity and do so in seconds--50-55 for me. I respect that. Finally, if you see someone finishing a butterfly set and gasping as if all the oxygen was removed--it is me. I am regularly out of breath, and seemingly no one else is.

There are 3 phases of fly #1 butterfly #2 butter struggle #3 butter UGLY

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by dinicti View Post
    I also want to add that swimming butterfly can humble you like no other regular activity and do so in seconds--50-55 for me. I respect that. Finally, if you see someone finishing a butterfly set and gasping as if all the oxygen was removed--it is me. I am regularly out of breath, and seemingly no one else is.
    I usually in practice swim around 1:00 to 1:05. I think the fastest was 53 once. I try to swim some of the fly under a minute. I did about 56 to 57 today on one of the three 50's fly's. I did one Breaststroke around 59 seconds. I think the fastest in practice was 54 or 55. I try to do one of the breaststrokes also under 1:00. I'm need more rest on fly, sometimes when I go under 1:00 a 2:00 rest.

Very Active Member

I can do 100 flys more in the 2:15 to 2:18 range in practice. I once did a 2:08, it took a lot out. Its like when I do 2:00 I'm or Breaststroke. in practice it takes it out of me.

One way to try to make fly less exhausting is to try to relax when you can. Right when your hands are landing on the surface (think land on the surface rather than enter), let your back and upper body go limp (relax). This allows your chest to sink and butt to rise (if your back is tight or rigid your chest cannot sink) with your hands high. The air in your lungs should start to lift you back up as you start your pull. Try this out and see if it helps or not. Good luck!

Participating Member

Thanks, ganache. I will try. To be truthful, I have been inpatient, as I have tried versions of that, but I tend to go slower. I need to give it more attention. I appreciate your time.

If you only relax when your hands land and as your chest sinks and start to pull as your lungs push you back up to the surface you should not be going much slower. It should only be for a couple of seconds that you get to relax!

Participating Member

Ganache, thanks. I am a believer, and need to be more proficient--right now doing as you advise--well I feel my kick is a bit off. In the process of relaxing, I have to think about resuming kicking (I need to work on this more to make it feel natural). Well, it is a work in progress, and I am committed to improving.

Participating Member

I have a question: off the walls is it legal or not to do underwater dolphin on your side? I saw in swimswam that FINA was going to change the rules in Sept., but I just checked FINA's website and I copy/pasted the info. below. Anyone know (or care) more than me?

SW 8.1 From the beginning of the first arm stroke after the start and each turn, the body shall be kept on the breast. Under water kicking on the side is allowed. It is not permitted to roll onto the back at any time, except at the turn after the touch of the wall where it is permissible to turn in any manner as long as the body is on the breast when leaving the wall.

It is a fine line from side to a DQ for being on the back, so watch out.

Quote Originally Posted by dinicti View Post
    I have a question: off the walls is it legal or not to do underwater dolphin on your side?
    Legal. USMS 101.3.2 "After the start and after each turn, the swimmer’s shoulders must be at or past the vertical toward the breast."

However, being right at vertical may look like past vertical depending on where the stroke and turn judge is positioned.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine and not those of U.S. Masters Swimming.

Participating Member

Thank you all for your clarifications. My butterfly has actually taken a bit of a hiatus status. With joining Masters, I have been swimming with the program and increased my overall swim yardage (my free is getting better). This is part of my plan to increase endurance, but the downside has been that I have been more fatigued and my times/distance has taken a bit of a hit. The additional plus side is that the Masters program gives me more motivation to work on my fly drills. However, swimming all out fly for multiple repetitions is not easily done with the Masters program, but that is fine. When swimming solo, I notice that I can complete my previous sets and not be so fatigued, but my times are off by a second or two. I will take this for now. I still love the power of fly.

The butterfly has always been pretty problematic for me. I am always trying to find new ways to improve on it.

Participating Member

After having a couple of months in the Masters program, swimming with the group 2x a wk, I have increased my swim yardage ~12k per wk. Previously it was under 10k. My fly is okay, I am slowing increasing my endurance--still fatigued b/w 75 and 100 yards, but improving and still working on relaxing as my hands/arms/chest enters the water. I am now increasing my repetitions for 75 yards (now 2). I am content as the slope of improvement is positive.

Rurrell85, good luck. Just keep on trying and if you have time check out the guidance here and some of the better teaching aides in Youtube. FYI, I am not good in other strokes, only decent in fly, and my free is slowly improving but remains poor.

I dabbled in fly the last couple short course seasons, doing some short sets of high-effort 25's and racing the 50 fly in a couple meets. This year I've decided to give the 200 fly a try. I've worked up to doing 1000+ yard sets of fly that start as 50's (on a 1:10 interval, pacing ~:36.5) until the form starts to slip (usually around 8-10 repeats), resting briefly (~90 seconds), then going to 25's on :35 at ~:17.low pace. I can usually get into the 20's for # of repeats of 25's before the stroke starts to go. When I try to translate this to a continuous 200, though, it isn't working yet. I can swim a relaxed 100 and hold my form pretty well, but it really starts to go out the window after the 125 turn. Any ideas what else I could do to extend the range?

Participating Member

Gary P
    Our Longhorn coach (Olympian Whitney Hedgepeth) has made me (60-64 age group) a pretty good 200 Flyer, Backstroker, IMer so I take no credit for it as she writes the workouts and I just do them as she says!
    currently I go 6 days a week and 4000-5000 a practice. Coach likes a day or 2 a week of short rest interval training to build up aerobic capacity which is critical when swimming 200 Flys. For example a recent short rest interval set was a ladder of 1 x100, (we went 1:10 pace) 2x25 on :40 (recovery), 2 x100, 2x 25, 3x 100, 2x25, 4 x100, 2x 25, 5 x100, 2x25 all same interval ...minute or so rest and then back up the ladder starting with 5 x100's. Set is designed to build that aerobic capacity as the total # of 100's on short rest was 30. Pick an interval you get 5 seconds rest or less.

We also do sets like these of stroke. For example a recent Fly set was 2 x 50 Fly on :50, 2x 50 Fly on :45, 2 x50 Fly on :40, 2x 50 Fly on :45 and 2 x 50 Fly on :50. Idea was to keep your pace at 3rd or 4th 50 of the 200 fly. For me I was trying to hold 33+'s. My other favorite fly set is drop down 50's starting on a minute and interval drops 1 second each 50. I usually do the first 10 Back and then at 11 switch to Fly and see if I can get down to 35-36 interval before I drop out. Again trying to build that feeling of swimming the last 50 fly of a 200!

This approach has worked for me, last 2 50's of my 200 Fly in Riverside were just 4 tents apart...33.1 and 33.5. Every now and then I can execute it but always is hard both on the body and mind!

Very Active Member

jim,
    your 200fly at riverside was so awesome!
    and it should have....new national record!!!

i wish mine had felt as good as your looked. i swear they switched the water to mud for my last 50

and i hate the drop down set from 60.
    15 boring as heck
    10 more almost as boring
    5 that get to tough
    3 that are insane (its a 150 on 1:24 after doing a 150 on 1:33)
    Last edited by sunruh; December 8th, 2017 at 01:39 PM.

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041 LastLast