Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

Blog Entries

Re: The Butterfly Lane

Quote Originally Posted by __steve__ View Post
    That area described "crease in front of shoulder at armpit" isn't that the pectoral tendon ?
    Could be. It feels like a narrowing strip going from my chest upward and into the shoulder area. (After doing a bit of google-ing, yes) the pain appears to be at the outer end of the pectoral tendon under the deltoid.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Hey, Swimdoc, how are you doing recovering from your T.O.S. surgery? By the way, I sent in a letter to the editor (see my post on the T.O.S. thread...), regarding a couple of inaccuracies on pg. 36 of the new Swimmer Magazine (T.O.S. is not a "disease" or "illness", nor is the collarbone "reconfigured" during surgery...).

I hope you are recovering well!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Changing subjects again...

BUTTERNUTS, this is for all of you:

Did you read the volunteer profile in the new issue of Swimmer Magazine? Doug Church, founder of Butternuts and team N.A.S.T. was profiled; an excellent write-up of a terrific guy!

Since joining Butternuts, I have had several e-mails fly (no pun intended ) back and forth between us. After congratulating him on his profile and accomplishments, I tossed this idea out to him:

"Hey, I just thought of an idea... Perhaps all of us Butternuts could do a fly-a-thon at our individual pools to raise money for Swimming Saves Lives. We could swim on a designated day (or days) and get pledges per pool length. Each Nut could have somebody video their swim and they could be posted on the Butternut site, along with the $ amount raised by each person. The rules could state that it has to be a continuous swim; no more than a few seconds rest at a wall (or something similar).

What do ya think?"

I sent that e-mail out just a little while ago and Doug wrote back that he likes the idea and is thinking about how we could pull this off.

I thought I would bounce it off our Forumite Butternuts. Who's in? Any ideas on how we could best get this organized? It can be open to anybody, but whoever flys more than 500 yards could also be eligible to join Butternuts- or add to their Butternut listing. And, the $ raised by swimmers for their fly lengths would go to a great cause: Swimming Saves Lives Foundation.

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    fly-a-thon
    I request that we add the letter L. Resulting in the awful perfection that is FLYATHLON. That name will cause people to shudder and cringe. And then when they find out what we're actually doing, they will shudder and cringe all over again! I don't see a downside here! Sign me up!
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Blog Entries

I have yet to attempt to join the Butternut ranks, but I would be willing to arrange something in our neck of the woods and give it a go.
    ..<))><

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    I have yet to attempt to join the Butternut ranks, but I would be willing to arrange something in our neck of the woods and give it a go.
    I did do my 1650 of fly all legal tonight, though I did stop at the 800, and a few more times, but for only short amounts. I suppose I can at least submit the 800 part for Butternuts...
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    I did do my 1650 of fly all legal tonight, though I did stop at the 800, and a few more times, but for only short amounts. I suppose I can at least submit the 800 part for Butternuts...
    Well done!

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Well done!
    Thanks, and never to be done again. Ouchy.
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Hey, Swimdoc, how are you doing recovering from your T.O.S. surgery? By the way, I sent in a letter to the editor (see my post on the T.O.S. thread...), regarding a couple of inaccuracies on pg. 36 of the new Swimmer Magazine (T.O.S. is not a "disease" or "illness", nor is the collarbone "reconfigured" during surgery...).

I hope you are recovering well!
    Thanks, Elaine. I'm doing great from the TOS part of the surgery. I'm a month out, no pain, good ROM in my shoulder, and arm strength better than before surgery.. Unfortunately, the swelling post-op at my neck pressed on a nerve to the vocal cord on that side leaving me quite hoarse and with an exaggerated cough reflex, which makes the idea of being in a pool a bit scary. Could be this way for several month's more, but it's a fair trade for having my arm back again and no pain. If it weren't for the cough that comes out of nowhere, I'd feel like I could start swimming again (though it would be against my surgeon's orders).

Glad you clarified that for Swimmer Magazine. I wonder how many of us TOSers are out there?

Quote Originally Posted by swimdoc View Post
    Thanks, Elaine. I'm doing great from the TOS part of the surgery. I'm a month out, no pain, good ROM in my shoulder, and arm strength better than before surgery.. Unfortunately, the swelling post-op at my neck pressed on a nerve to the vocal cord on that side leaving me quite hoarse and with an exaggerated cough reflex, which makes the idea of being in a pool a bit scary. Could be this way for several month's more, but it's a fair trade for having my arm back again and no pain. If it weren't for the cough that comes out of nowhere, I'd feel like I could start swimming again (though it would be against my surgeon's orders).

Glad you clarified that for Swimmer Magazine. I wonder how many of us TOSers are out there?
    That's great news about your strength and range of motion. You are well on your way to 100% success! The cough is a unique side effect; I haven't heard of that before. But, the small group of us who went through a rehab class together all had different post-op issues that eventually were resolved. I'm sure it will be just a temporary issue for you and you will be back in the pool before you know it!

Take care and good luck!

Flyathon "postal "???

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    Flyathon "postal "???
    Yes, we'll have to do it that way, since all of us Butternuts are spread out throughout the country.

Blog Entries

Yes, we'll have to do it that way, since all of us Butternuts are spread out throughout the country.
    Perhaps this fitness challenge will cause some new Butternuts to join us @ the asylum...

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    Perhaps this fitness challenge will cause some new Butternuts to join us @ the asylum...
    Yeah, we're all NUTS; that's for sure! Hopefully, we can all raise a bunch of $$ for Swimming Saves Lives Foundation, too!

Participating Member

I'm not really that fast at butterfly but I main butterfly.
    My coach is the scariest man i've ever saw and constantly yells at everyone. I go around 1:00 100 fly long course but now its shortcourse season and I just went a 56.5 100 fly and as punishment I got to do an up and down ladder butterfly set while everyone does it freestyle.
    2x25 butterfly on the :30 went 14, 15
    :30s rest
    2x50 butterfly on the 1:00 went 30, 32
    2x75 butterfly on the 1:15 went 55, 58
    2x100 butterfly on the 1:30 went 1:10, 1:13
    2x125 butterfly on the 1:45 went 1:28, ~1:30
    2x100 butterfly ***** says me* on the 1:20 went 1:16, ~1:16
    2x75 butterfly on the 1:00 went 55, 55
    2x50 butterfly on the :45 went 35, ~35
    2x25 butterfly on the :25 went 13, 13
    and then after this set we did some 200s descend free and after that
    all out 100 fly from the blocks and if I don't go under :59 the team doesn't go home. Had my dragsuit on too went 58.7. (I dont think I broke the :59, coach probably let me loose).
    1250 yard set, its actually harder than it seems.

Participating Member badrunnergoodswimmer's Avatar

Not. It seems unbearably hard as stated.
    When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade

So it's seems that I've sort of fallen prey to the witchcraft that is fly. My goals for the season started out with getting certain times for the 100 free and the 200 IM. Starting out I didn't know how to swim fly at all so that was sort of the first step. Learned how, but my technique was/still is shoddy so I've been working on it. Recent breakthroughs in my fly have put it as my second best stroke, which is not saying much since I suck but still.
    I find that I am actually enjoying it (it's become something of an obsession), and have contemplated adding some 100 fly focus to my winter break training since I get to make up all of my own workouts.
    Anyone have any tips for me? I'm going to keep doing drills and focusing on my technique, but I'm looking for guidance on some easy sets to get me started.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 5MWC View Post
    1250 yard set, its actually harder than it seems.
    It is exactly as hard as it seems! I thought the toughest thing for me would be to make the downhill 100's and 75's, and that was correct. Also I jumped straight from the downhill 25's to the race-pace 100. For science!

Copied from my flog:

Saturday main set (1350 fly)
    • This set courtesy of 5MWC
    • Although I did not invent this set, I'm calling it THAT'S JUST NASTY until further notice.
    • I am not as fast as 5MWC (1:04 LCM/1:04 SCM for me) so I was concerned about making the downhill intervals. Twice I finished right on the interval.
    • 2x25 butterfly on the :30 went 15, 16
    • :30s rest
    • 2x50 butterfly on the 1:00 went 36, 36
    • 2x75 butterfly on the 1:15 went 55, 57
    • 2x100 butterfly on the 1:30 went 1:14, 1:16
    • 2x125 butterfly on the 1:45 went 1:35, 1:45 (not sure what happened here)
    • 2x100 butterfly on the 1:20 went 1:17, 1:17
    • 2x75 butterfly on the 1:00 went 57, 1:00
    • 2x50 butterfly on the :45 went 37, 37
    • 2x25 butterfly on the :25 went 18, 18
    • 100 fly AFAP went 1:05 from a pushoff
    • I was surprised how much I had left in the tank for the 100. I was expecting a lactic acid disaster but it never happened.
    • This is a tough set. Not for groggy Monday mornings. It was fine for a Saturday afternoon though. The looks on the other swimmers' faces were priceless.
    • Masters Minute
    • 200 easy

I might try this --- when my shoulder feels better !!!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Red face Re: The Butterfly Lane

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceGeek View Post
    So it's seems that I've sort of fallen prey to the witchcraft that is fly. My goals for the season started out with getting certain times for the 100 free and the 200 IM. Starting out I didn't know how to swim fly at all so that was sort of the first step. Learned how, but my technique was/still is shoddy so I've been working on it. Recent breakthroughs in my fly have put it as my second best stroke, which is not saying much since I suck but still.
    I find that I am actually enjoying it (it's become something of an obsession), and have contemplated adding some 100 fly focus to my winter break training since I get to make up all of my own workouts.
    Anyone have any tips for me? I'm going to keep doing drills and focusing on my technique, but I'm looking for guidance on some easy sets to get me started.
    Thanks!
    I would recommend that you get one of the butterfly videos. I really like Richard Quick's Championship Butterfly.

Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast