Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

Blog Entries

Re: The Butterfly Lane

Here is practice I had this morning. Did the faster interval. Obviously I am not on taper just yet!

#1 Friday, April 30, 2010 AM

WARMUP
    400 FREE SMOOTH SWIM
    4 X 100 IM DRILL OR SWIM @ :10 REST
    4 X 50 KICK WITH A BOARD DESCEND 1-4

600 PULL BREATHING 3/5 BY 100, DESCEND YOUR 200s

Flyers

100 LAST 25 IS FLY @ 1:10/ 1:20
    300 LAST 50 IS FLY @ 3:30/ 4:00
    500 LAST 100 IS FLY @ 5:50/ 6:40
    700 LAST 200 IS FLY @ 8:10/9:20
    800 FIRST AND LAST 100 ARE FLY, MAKE LAST ONE FASTER @ 9:40 / 10:20
    600 FIRST AND LAST 100 ARE FLY, MAKE LAST ONE FASTER @ 7:20 / 8:00
    400 FIRST AND LAST 100 ARE FLY, MAKE LAST ONE FASTER @ 5:00 / 5:20
    200 BUTTERFLY SWIM FAST TRY TO GO 2:08 OR FASTER

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

YES

this is what we're hoping to avoid.

Greg Shaw will never forget the first time he tried to set a world-record pace in the 200-meter butterfly during a national Masters meet in Cleveland. The 56-year-old was far ahead of the other swimmers in the Olympic-sized pool and had just flip-turned to complete his last 50-meter lap.

"Suddenly, my whole body turned into a lead weight," he says. "I couldn't even lift my arms out of the water. After that I looked like the most pitiful swimmer trying to perform the butterfly. It was so bad everyone clapped when I got out of the pool."

Quote Originally Posted by no200fly View Post
    If you have not read it, a short story about Greg Shaw's training for his 200 fly world record, can be read here:

http://www.masters-athlete.com/public/487.cfm?sd=33

I have started doing more sets with different amounts of drill/fly and I think it has helped. I will know more after Atlanta.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    YES

this is what we're hoping to avoid.
    Been there - done that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by born2fly View Post
    200 BUTTERFLY SWIM FAST TRY TO GO 2:08 OR FASTER
    That's a very impressive set. I would be on the slower interval, no doubt. What did you go for that last 2fly?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

here's a decent 50 fly

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j240iwobE0E"]YouTube- Milorad Cavic, 50 m Zlatna Medalja ,Rim 2009.[/nomedia]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ande View Post
    Michael Phelps: height: 6'4", wingspan: 6'7"
    Milorad Cavic: height: 6'6", wingspan: not listed on Wikipedia, clearly large
    That Guy: height: 5'8", wingspan: no

so one of my training goals this year is to get 8 inches taller

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

Too darn funny! Let me know how well you do at this goal. There are many, many fast flyers who are not tall. You among them.

Blog Entries

The guy that got 2nd at the 2008 Olympic Trials in the 200 fly might have been your height.

Heck, I have a T-Rex wingspan and I was able to do a 2:13 200 LCM fly(1995) in my age group days.
    Delware Valley Vice Chair, Top Ten Recorder, DV LMSC Records
    http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=2837

Blog Entries

Another Masters swimmer who trains at the same gym I do told me that he doesn't like swimming fly there because the lanes are narrow and he can hit both of his hands on lanelines at the same time. Although the lanes are indeed narrow, hitting both hands on lanelines is not a problem that ever even would have occurred to me.

MJ: It's going great, I've already gotten 20 inches taller! Wait... scratch that, I was standing on a table... subtract the difference... I'm 10 inches shorter??? There's gotta be a silver lining here. If I shave down for every meet, I can enter as 12&U!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

That's a great idea: instead of using age groups, we should compete in height categories.

It wouldn't work well for me, though: I'm over 6 feet tall, and have monkey arms, but am definitely not a fast butterflyer.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Here is an interesting video about the Spitz/Russell 100 fly duel at the 68 Olympics:

http://www.tsdhof.org/video-doug%20russell.html

Blog Entries

I cant believe the butterfly lane is getting their a$$ kicked by the breaststroke lane. They have 2,000 more views and here I thought that was the evil stroke.

Time for the fliers to catch up, we cant let breaststrokers beat us!

Blog Entries

I cant believe the butterfly lane is getting their a$$ kicked by the breaststroke lane. They have 2,000 more views and here I thought that was the evil stroke.

Meaningless thread stats do not concern me! As noted in the SDK thread, I've entered breaststroke events and beaten some of them at their own game, even though anyone can plainly see that I do not have a feel for the water with that stroke. (Someday I'll figure it out... maybe... ) Other than Allen Stark, I don't see breaststrokers regularly throwing down in the fly events. I'm planning to swim the 200 LCM breast this summer to see if I can steal a top 10. No one from the mainland will be able to drive to LCM Nationals so I'm guessing attendance will be lower than usual and LCM top tens will be easier to get than they were last year. Also, it's been 4 years since I last swam the 200 SCM breast... might have to swim that in the fall in case enough of the fast breaststrokers are afraid to swim it... seriously, how funny would it be if I manage to get a breaststroke top ten?

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I'm planning to swim the 200 LCM breast this summer to see if I can steal a top 10. No one from the mainland will be able to drive to LCM Nationals so I'm guessing attendance will be lower than usual and LCM top tens will be easier to get than they were last year. Also, it's been 4 years since I last swam the 200 SCM breast... might have to swim that in the fall in case enough of the fast breaststrokers are afraid to swim it... seriously, how funny would it be if I manage to get a breaststroke top ten?
    I started swimming some breaststroke a year ago when I thought my shoulder problems were going to keep me from swimming fly. While I didn't get top 10, I was in the top 15 and in the top 10 at nationals. I think it has a lot in common with fly since I really don't train much breaststroke.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Butterfly does not require endless commentary and analysis and sob stories, it stands on its own merits. Butterfliers are the toughest swimmers around and everyone knows it. End of story.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by no200fly View Post
    I started swimming some breaststroke a year ago when I thought my shoulder problems were going to keep me from swimming fly. While I didn't get top 10, I was in the top 15 and in the top 10 at nationals. I think it has a lot in common with fly since I really don't train much breaststroke.
    The sad thing is that I could have place higher in the 200 LCM breast at Indy Nationals than the 9th place I got in the 100 fly. Yeah, next Nationals I do, I might do the 200 breast instead and just use the 100 fly split from my 200 fly or 400 IM. They are all about the same times anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stevenson View Post
    Butterfly does not require endless commentary and analysis and sob stories, it stands on its own merits. Butterfliers are the toughest swimmers around and everyone knows it. End of story.
    You mean butterfliers who do the 200 fly. I don't think that you can really call yourself a butterflier unless you do the 200 fly. Otherwise, you are just a sprinter.

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    You mean butterfliers who do the 200 fly. I don't think that you can really call yourself a butterflier unless you do the 200 fly. Otherwise, you are just a sprinter.
    I actually think the 100 fly is a very good test for folks. I had to swim the 200 fly at every meet in college and I never, ever enjoyed it. The piano always fell on the 3rd 50. I'm planning to tackle it soon as a masters swimmer, on my own terms, and plan to make peace with it.

As an aside, I started swimming more breast after realizing that in a 200 IM, a fellow competitor that got 5th at nats that year and I stayed even on the breast leg. So I dabble in breast, in IM's and in mid distance free. It's more interesting to swim more things - why limit yourself? Breast and fly do have much in common - they are both short axis strokes and take more energy to swim than back and free.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimmj View Post
    I actually think the 100 fly is a very good test for folks. I had to swim the 200 fly at every meet in college and I never, ever enjoyed it. The piano always fell on the 3rd 50. I'm planning to tackle it soon as a masters swimmer, on my own terms, and plan to make peace with it.

As an aside, I started swimming more breast after realizing that in a 200 IM, a fellow competitor that got 5th at nats that year and I stayed even on the breast leg. So I dabble in breast, in IM's and in mid distance free. It's more interesting to swim more things - why limit yourself? Breast and fly do have much in common - they are both short axis strokes and take more energy to swim than back and free.
    breast and fly have alot in common but it is weird how people are fly/backstrokers or back/breaststrokers. I finally met some fly/breaststrokers and felt like I saw the ocean part or something. I swim the 200 back and breastroke to help out my IMs. I haven't had the desire to do a 100 back lately. The breaststroke is just a fun/no pressure event for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjrpatt View Post
    I don't think that you can really call yourself a butterflier unless you do the 200 fly. Otherwise, you are just a sprinter.
    Seriously?!

And the 100 fly is a "sprint"? That's an endurance event, dude. If you can do a good 100 fly, you are not just a sprinter.

50 fly question: Does anyone do this as a no breather? Pros and cons?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast