Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

Blog Entries

Re: The Butterfly Lane

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    While more practices are better, you can definitely still improve your fly a lot only doing 3 practices a week. It sounds like you don't practice fly every often, so just adding some fly each practice could make a big improvement.
    Totally agree with this. Even ending every practice with 10x25 fly or something is a good start. I believe there's not much point in continuing to swim fly past the point where your technique deteriorates.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur View Post
    While more practices are better, you can definitely still improve your fly a lot only doing 3 practices a week. It sounds like you don't practice fly every often, so just adding some fly each practice could make a big improvement. I swam a 200m fly in a meet last year after only training 3x a week.

Yeah, SuperChloe is a student which I'm guessing means she is young; at least a lot younger than me (51)! And, you probably are, too; right? At my age, I don't believe I could achieve that kind of improvement swimming just three days per week.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Way to go, Sis! So, next time, it will be three times, right? Just keep trying, even if you can't quite make the third one and have to change strokes mid-length.

As for the breathing rhythm, the same thing happened to me. It actually seemed harder at first. But, once I got the hang of breathing every stroke, it became the easier way for me. Here is the key: When you breathe, do NOT lift your head and look forward. Lead with the top of your head and lift just enough to get air, keeping your chin in the water. Continue to look at the bottom of the pool when you take a breath. I try to never stop looking at that black stripe... By doing this, your neck will stay more relaxed and you will keep better form. Good luck!
    I was having the same problem with the breathing every stroke thing, so I'll give your method a try on Thursday. (And yes, you're right about my age, I'm 23, 24 next month.)

And good for you, SissSwim! It's a great feeling to accomplish some butterfly!

Yeah, SuperChloe is a student which I'm guessing means she is young; at least a lot younger than me (51)! And, you probably are, too; right? At my age, I don't believe I could achieve that kind of improvement swimming just three days per week.
    I am 31. It might be hard to swim 2000 continuous fly swimming 3x a week but at almost any age for someone who can only swim 25 fly they definitely have a lot of room to improve.

Sisswim, When outside of the pool, work on your core strength, front and back, it will help a lot. Crossfit emphasizes the core as a stabilization area of the body. The stronger you can get your core, the better the upper and lower parts of your body will work together.
    Also, slow way down on your fly to start and don't speed up. If you go really slow with a glide, you can go for a long time. This is a different style than a sprint, but it will still help build your endurance.

Here is a good video by Gary Hall Sr. on body position and breathing in butterfly. It includes some excellent slow motion underwater video:

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    How about a 1650?
    Ohhhhhh all right, but only because you put that dancing banana in there. If that had been, say, a caterwauling cucumber, things might have turned out differently. I completed a 1650 fly at the meet in Olympia yesterday, and blorged the experience: http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?27018-The-One-With-The
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I completed a 1650 fly at the meet in Olympia yesterday ...
    Well done!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    Well done!!!
    thanks man... errrr, cretaceous... reptile? Crap I offended you didn't I.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

thanks man... errrr, cretaceous... reptile? Crap I offended you didn't I.
    Reptiles are not invertebrates, unless you were referring to the period of time which dinasaurs were still roaming

Ohhhhhh all right, but only because you put that dancing banana in there. If that had been, say, a caterwauling cucumber, things might have turned out differently. I completed a 1650 fly at the meet in Olympia yesterday, and blorged the experience: http://forums.usms.org/entry.php?27018-The-One-With-The
    AWESOME Butternut swim, That Guy! Loved, loved, LOVED the blog post about it, too.

Participating Member

Okay..another question. I really haven't been practicing fly more than maybe 2 25s once a week but this weekend we did a 100 Meter and then a 50 Meter Fly for time during practice and I surprised myself by coming in ahead of all the "better swimmers." (I surprised them too..and all I heard was "Wow..you're a FLYER!!!!" Even the coach was a little surprised by my lead and said "You're obviously made to sprint fly!" So..now my question is..if I want to start seriously training to "sprint fly"..50 meters if not someday 100 meters. How much fly, fly drills should I do in a regular practice. Today I felt like ignoring the whole workout (mostly freestlye and some IMs) and just focusing on my "new" (or rediscovered natural talent). Can someone help me figure out how to actually train for this event??? I want to really take it somewhere. I'm already doing serious dryland training but now I'm actually motivated to be doing it!!! As for reaching the 200 in fly...I know I'll be able to do it eventually when I get in better shape but the way the coach reacted to my sprinting ability..I'm not in any rush!!
    For the record, I wasn't a speed demon by any means but it wasn't off the blocks, it was in the middle of a practice and I had been swimming all week. Plus..I had only even swam a 50 meter fly 3 times before. So..Im excited for my potential here. Drum roll (or eye roll)...51 seconds.
    Thanks for any help.
    Again, 51 might only have been good compared to the rest of the team that seems to excel in the other 3 strokes..

Blog Entries

AWESOME Butternut swim, That Guy! Loved, loved, LOVED the blog post about it, too.
    Thanks! I think this is the first time one of my posts has gotten over 100 views.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sisswim View Post
    Can someone help me figure out how to actually train for this event???
    For the 50, you need strength and technique. The HIT workouts are almost certainly what you want here. In general, when you swim butterfly in practice, you want to swim it exactly like you're going to swim it in a race. Avoid butterstruggle like the plague. Practice short distances really fast, and make sure you get enough rest to keep up the intensity.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks! I think this is the first time one of my posts has gotten over 100 views.
    Maybe you should lay low for a while then...
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    Maybe you should lay low for a while then...
    I like to spend time down there dolphin kicking, but I do have to occasionally break the surface so I can breathe.

"To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Very cool! Was that you, King Frog?

Ok Flyers- I haven't swam a 400 im in oh 5 yrs. The problem is my asthma has gotton very bad. On a 200 Im, I breath every other. I am thinking for thel 100 fly to do lengths 2 and 3 two up one down. So I have air left at the end for the last 25. Anybody breath this way. I am not gifted enough like Phelps or Summer Sanders to breath every stroke.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimcat View Post
    Ok Flyers- I haven't swam a 400 im in oh 5 yrs. The problem is my asthma has gotton very bad. On a 200 Im, I breath every other. I am thinking for thel 100 fly to do lengths 2 and 3 two up one down. So I have air left at the end for the last 25. Anybody breath this way. I am not gifted enough like Phelps or Summer Sanders to breath every stroke.
    I breath 2-up 1-down for most of my 200 Fly/400 IM swims. This is my goal at least. I notice the difference once I start into a 3-up pattern as my hips start riding lower in the water...this tells me the piano is coming soon...
    "Don't be upset by the results you didn't get with the work you didn't do." - K.A. Benthin

Inland NW Top Ten & Records Chair, and Web-Dude
    www.inlandnwmasters.org

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212728293031323334 LastLast