Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast
Results 641 to 660 of 700

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

  1. #641
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I watched some Misty Hyman, Ian Crocker and Michael Phelps vidoes today. I have been thinking about working up to a double kick on my 1,000 fly. I had thought the first kick should be my strongest with a small quick second kick. But I see Misty's second kick starting and ending deeper than her first one, Ian's second seems to be stronger and ending deeper too, and Michael's kicks seem to be equal. But then, he can really straighten his feet so much that he can make a deeper kick effective. Anybody thought about this and what works best for them? That Guy? By the way, That Guy I will be in Yosemite in mid-May trying to swim up some cracks.

  2. #642
    Green Mountain Boy rxleakem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southwestern Vermont
    Posts
    515
    Blog Entries
    520

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I'm excited to report that I did a 500 fly this weekend at a meet and came in at 6:48. I later went a :58 in the 100 fly.
    ..<))><

  3. #643
    sǝssɐןb ɹǝʇʇǝq ʇǝb That Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,926
    Blog Entries
    145

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    I watched some Misty Hyman, Ian Crocker and Michael Phelps vidoes today. I have been thinking about working up to a double kick on my 1,000 fly. I had thought the first kick should be my strongest with a small quick second kick. But I see Misty's second kick starting and ending deeper than her first one, Ian's second seems to be stronger and ending deeper too, and Michael's kicks seem to be equal. But then, he can really straighten his feet so much that he can make a deeper kick effective. Anybody thought about this and what works best for them? That Guy?
    For distance fly, I try to make all my kicks equal for consistency over the long haul. For 50, 100, and 200 distances, I don't focus on that so I wouldn't be surprised if video review revealed something like my second kick being smaller than the first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    By the way, That Guy I will be in Yosemite in mid-May trying to swim up some cracks.
    Thank you for the warning!
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

  4. #644
    sǝssɐןb ɹǝʇʇǝq ʇǝb That Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,926
    Blog Entries
    145

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    I'm excited to report that I did a 500 fly this weekend at a meet and came in at 6:48. I later went a :58 in the 100 fly.
    Good job!
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

  5. #645
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    I'm excited to report that I did a 500 fly this weekend at a meet and came in at 6:48. I later went a :58 in the 100 fly.

    Awesome rx!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  6. #646
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    I'm excited to report that I did a 500 fly this weekend at a meet and came in at 6:48. I later went a :58 in the 100 fly.
    RX, I am really impressed. That's great! Thanks for the response That Guy.

  7. #647
    Green Mountain Boy rxleakem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Southwestern Vermont
    Posts
    515
    Blog Entries
    520

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I sent in my time for the Butternut swim, and received the following email:
    Hey Butternuts!!* Welcome*rxleakem, 35, *of the New England Masters!**Mike*swam his 500 yard fly on April 27, 2013 in a very respectable 6:48.08!* He was truly ‘flyin’!!**Rx*practices with the Monument Masters Workout Group and he is also the first ‘Nut from the Great State of*Vermont!!!*
    In spite of the cool spring, summer is just around the corner and that means Outdoor ‘Flyin’ is about to start!!* Have a great summer!! Doug
    Doug is right - I love me some Butterfly during OW swims!
    ..<))><

  8. #648
    Very Active Member swimflyfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    warrenton, va
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Swimming Suit Question:

    Do you prefer jammers or brief suit in a distance fly events?
    I swam a mile race a few weeks ago in open water and I think I like a brief in open water.
    I think I like Jammers in 25 yard 1650 primarily for it's assistance for streamlining off the wall.


    1650 and one mile fly is not a crime.. Sanction it!
    Last edited by swimflyfast; August 12th, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: corrected distance on fly

  9. #649
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I haven't done a 1,000 fly since Elaine's challenge last December. But I am thinking about it. Really. I am thinking about it. Sometime. Soon. Maybe.

  10. #650
    Very Active Member swimflyfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    warrenton, va
    Posts
    107

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    I haven't done a 1,000 fly since Elaine's challenge last December. But I am thinking about it. Really. I am thinking about it. Sometime. Soon. Maybe.
    Go for it.. steady pace don't look at the clock... just have fun!
    1,000 fly should be a sanctioned event. Good luck!

  11. #651
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    I haven't done a 1,000 fly since Elaine's challenge last December. But I am thinking about it. Really. I am thinking about it. Sometime. Soon. Maybe.
    Well, then, I guess I'll have to make the challenge an annual event!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  12. #652
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    39

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    A fat open lane awaited me as walked up to the pool so I went for it yesterday. I swam my non-stop 1,000 butterfly. Nothing special and certainly not fast. But I did manage to use a double kick the whole distance. That was a new one for me. It was fun SwimFlyFast. Elaine, thanks for your continuing inspiration in overcoming challenges.

  13. #653
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    3,449

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    A fat open lane awaited me as walked up to the pool so I went for it yesterday. I swam my non-stop 1,000 butterfly. Nothing special and certainly not fast. But I did manage to use a double kick the whole distance. That was a new one for me. It was fun SwimFlyFast. Elaine, thanks for your continuing inspiration in overcoming challenges.
    Congratulations, Yosemite! You are now a double Butternut! (Or, did you swim a 500 fly and it's three for you?) Make sure to let Doug Church know you did it again!


    I may not know you, but I'm proud of you and your accomplishment. I hope you're proud of yourself!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  14. #654
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il
    Posts
    5,888

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    I try to make both the same,but in the real world the 2nd is always smaller.

  15. #655
    Very Active Member Bill Sive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    330
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    New to this thread. Not going to skim through 600+ entries 33 pages long. Here goes.

    Last evening I was swimming next to some age groupers. They were wearing fins, doing three dolphin kicks, followed by one butterfly arm stroke. I tried this today for 200 meters. I am self taught on butterfly, so how do I progress from this drill. I can see how this will help me with my butterfly and have decided to incorporate it into my workout when it fits in.
    Last edited by Bill Sive; August 3rd, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

  16. #656
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    north carolina
    Posts
    101
    Blog Entries
    127

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    New to this thread. Not going to skim through 600+ entries 33 pages long. Here goes.

    Last evening I was swimming next to some age groupers. They were wearing fins, doing three dolphin kicks, followed by one butterfly arm stroke. I tried this today for 200 meters. I am self taught on butterfly, so how do I progress from this drill. I can see how this will help me with my butterfly and have decided to incorporate it into my workout when it fits in.
    That sounds like this: http://www.h2oustonswims.org/article..._papillon.html

  17. #657
    Very Active Member Bill Sive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    330
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: The Butterfly Lane

    Thank you for the link. Nice.
    Now I will have to complete my first open water swim (08/24/13) doing butterfly.
    I hope I get the applause. LOL.

  18. #658
    Very Active Member swimflyfast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    warrenton, va
    Posts
    107

    Butterfly is Not a Crime

    First Distance Non-Crawl Postal Swim
    Warrenton Masters Swim Program is excited to be offering a one of a kind postal swim without "Crawl".
    "Butterfly is Not a Crime"
    The Medley Relays will be 3 x 500 Back, Breast, and Fly.
    Imagine being the anchor of a relay finishing it up with a 500 fly. It can't get much better then that!

    You will have a year to swim events and you will be able to swim at meets, practices, or on your own for times.
    Open water events must be swum in USMS or FINA sanctioned events (insurance).

    You may submit as many times as you want during the year. Obviously the first ones in will automatically set an Unofficial World Nonconforming Record. They will receive an Official Proclamation from the mayor of our fair town, the Honorable George B Fitch (co-founder of the 1988 Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team) proclaiming to the entire world the details of your feat.

    Our web site is in the last stage of beta and we need critical eyes.
    We will be submitting for sanction at the end of the week.
    Please send critical comments to swimflyfast@warrentonmasters.org

    I am curious to find out which stroke gets the most participants.

    Web Site link:

    2013 - 2014 Butterfly is Not a Crime Distance Postal Swim

  19. #659
    Very Active Member ekw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    415
    Blog Entries
    209

    Re: Butterfly is Not a Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by swimflyfast View Post
    First Distance Non-Crawl Postal Swim
    Warrenton Masters Swim Program is excited to be offering a one of a kind postal swim without "Crawl".
    "Butterfly is Not a Crime"
    The Medley Relays will be 3 x 500 Back, Breast, and Fly.
    Imagine being the anchor of a relay finishing it up with a 500 fly. It can't get much better then that!

    You will have a year to swim events and you will be able to swim at meets, practices, or on your own for times.
    Open water events must be swum in USMS or FINA sanctioned events (insurance).

    You may submit as many times as you want during the year. Obviously the first ones in will automatically set an Unofficial World Nonconforming Record. They will receive an Official Proclamation from the mayor of our fair town, the Honorable George B Fitch (co-founder of the 1988 Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team) proclaiming to the entire world the details of your feat.

    Our web site is in the last stage of beta and we need critical eyes.
    We will be submitting for sanction at the end of the week.
    Please send critical comments to swimflyfast@warrentonmasters.org

    I am curious to find out which stroke gets the most participants.

    Web Site link:

    2013 - 2014 Butterfly is Not a Crime Distance Postal Swim
    This is simultaneously the best and the worst thing I have seen today.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

  20. #660
    Very Active Member Allen Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Mulino,OR
    Posts
    3,905

    Re: Butterfly is Not a Crime

    Quote Originally Posted by swimflyfast View Post
    First Distance Non-Crawl Postal Swim
    Warrenton Masters Swim Program is excited to be offering a one of a kind postal swim without "Crawl".
    "Butterfly is Not a Crime"
    The Medley Relays will be 3 x 500 Back, Breast, and Fly.
    Imagine being the anchor of a relay finishing it up with a 500 fly. It can't get much better then that!

    You will have a year to swim events and you will be able to swim at meets, practices, or on your own for times.
    Open water events must be swum in USMS or FINA sanctioned events (insurance).

    You may submit as many times as you want during the year. Obviously the first ones in will automatically set an Unofficial World Nonconforming Record. They will receive an Official Proclamation from the mayor of our fair town, the Honorable George B Fitch (co-founder of the 1988 Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team) proclaiming to the entire world the details of your feat.

    Our web site is in the last stage of beta and we need critical eyes.
    We will be submitting for sanction at the end of the week.
    Please send critical comments to swimflyfast@warrentonmasters.org

    I am curious to find out which stroke gets the most participants.

    Web Site link:

    2013 - 2014 Butterfly is Not a Crime Distance Postal Swim
    You need to make it an individual event also.1500 IM no free,ending with fly,sounds like a good challenge
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lane Etiquette (question on moving lanes)
    By SaltySwimmer in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 2nd, 2008, 10:13 PM
  2. Lane N or Lane N-1?
    By twosox in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 2nd, 2008, 06:38 PM
  3. What is your pet peeve about swimming?
    By in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 291
    Last Post: February 12th, 2008, 09:36 PM
  4. Butterfly, Discussion on Overall Technique
    By gjy in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: September 17th, 2005, 07:15 AM
  5. Butterfly turn
    By breastroker in forum General Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: March 20th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •