Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast

Thread: The Butterfly Lane

Re: The Butterfly Lane

I watched some Misty Hyman, Ian Crocker and Michael Phelps vidoes today. I have been thinking about working up to a double kick on my 1,000 fly. I had thought the first kick should be my strongest with a small quick second kick. But I see Misty's second kick starting and ending deeper than her first one, Ian's second seems to be stronger and ending deeper too, and Michael's kicks seem to be equal. But then, he can really straighten his feet so much that he can make a deeper kick effective. Anybody thought about this and what works best for them? That Guy? By the way, That Guy I will be in Yosemite in mid-May trying to swim up some cracks.

Blog Entries

I'm excited to report that I did a 500 fly this weekend at a meet and came in at 6:48. I later went a :58 in the 100 fly.
    ..<))><

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
    I watched some Misty Hyman, Ian Crocker and Michael Phelps vidoes today. I have been thinking about working up to a double kick on my 1,000 fly. I had thought the first kick should be my strongest with a small quick second kick. But I see Misty's second kick starting and ending deeper than her first one, Ian's second seems to be stronger and ending deeper too, and Michael's kicks seem to be equal. But then, he can really straighten his feet so much that he can make a deeper kick effective. Anybody thought about this and what works best for them? That Guy?
    For distance fly, I try to make all my kicks equal for consistency over the long haul. For 50, 100, and 200 distances, I don't focus on that so I wouldn't be surprised if video review revealed something like my second kick being smaller than the first.
    By the way, That Guy I will be in Yosemite in mid-May trying to swim up some cracks.
    Thank you for the warning!
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rxleakem View Post
    I'm excited to report that I did a 500 fly this weekend at a meet and came in at 6:48. I later went a :58 in the 100 fly.
    Good job!
    "I blame you, James!" - knelson

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Awesome rx!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

RX, I am really impressed. That's great! Thanks for the response That Guy.

Blog Entries

I sent in my time for the Butternut swim, and received the following email:
    Hey Butternuts!!* Welcome*rxleakem, 35, *of the New England Masters!**Mike*swam his 500 yard fly on April 27, 2013 in a very respectable 6:48.08!* He was truly ‘flyin’!!**Rx*practices with the Monument Masters Workout Group and he is also the first ‘Nut from the Great State of*Vermont!!!*
    In spite of the cool spring, summer is just around the corner and that means Outdoor ‘Flyin’ is about to start!!* Have a great summer!! Doug
    Doug is right - I love me some Butterfly during OW swims!
    ..<))><

Swimming Suit Question:

Do you prefer jammers or brief suit in a distance fly events?
    I swam a mile race a few weeks ago in open water and I think I like a brief in open water.
    I think I like Jammers in 25 yard 1650 primarily for it's assistance for streamlining off the wall.

1650 and one mile fly is not a crime.. Sanction it!
    Last edited by swimflyfast; August 12th, 2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: corrected distance on fly

I haven't done a 1,000 fly since Elaine's challenge last December. But I am thinking about it. Really. I am thinking about it. Sometime. Soon. Maybe.

I haven't done a 1,000 fly since Elaine's challenge last December. But I am thinking about it. Really. I am thinking about it. Sometime. Soon. Maybe.
    Go for it.. steady pace don't look at the clock... just have fun!
    1,000 fly should be a sanctioned event. Good luck!

Well, then, I guess I'll have to make the challenge an annual event!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

A fat open lane awaited me as walked up to the pool so I went for it yesterday. I swam my non-stop 1,000 butterfly. Nothing special and certainly not fast. But I did manage to use a double kick the whole distance. That was a new one for me. It was fun SwimFlyFast. Elaine, thanks for your continuing inspiration in overcoming challenges.

A fat open lane awaited me as walked up to the pool so I went for it yesterday. I swam my non-stop 1,000 butterfly. Nothing special and certainly not fast. But I did manage to use a double kick the whole distance. That was a new one for me. It was fun SwimFlyFast. Elaine, thanks for your continuing inspiration in overcoming challenges.
    Congratulations, Yosemite! You are now a double Butternut! (Or, did you swim a 500 fly and it's three for you?) Make sure to let Doug Church know you did it again!

I may not know you, but I'm proud of you and your accomplishment. I hope you're proud of yourself!

I try to make both the same,but in the real world the 2nd is always smaller.

Blog Entries

New to this thread. Not going to skim through 600+ entries 33 pages long. Here goes.

Last evening I was swimming next to some age groupers. They were wearing fins, doing three dolphin kicks, followed by one butterfly arm stroke. I tried this today for 200 meters. I am self taught on butterfly, so how do I progress from this drill. I can see how this will help me with my butterfly and have decided to incorporate it into my workout when it fits in.
    Last edited by Bill Sive; August 3rd, 2013 at 06:52 PM.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    New to this thread. Not going to skim through 600+ entries 33 pages long. Here goes.

Last evening I was swimming next to some age groupers. They were wearing fins, doing three dolphin kicks, followed by one butterfly arm stroke. I tried this today for 200 meters. I am self taught on butterfly, so how do I progress from this drill. I can see how this will help me with my butterfly and have decided to incorporate it into my workout when it fits in.
    That sounds like this: http://www.h2oustonswims.org/article..._papillon.html

Blog Entries

Thank you for the link. Nice.
    Now I will have to complete my first open water swim (08/24/13) doing butterfly.
    I hope I get the applause. LOL.

Butterfly is Not a Crime

First Distance Non-Crawl Postal Swim
    Warrenton Masters Swim Program is excited to be offering a one of a kind postal swim without "Crawl".
    "Butterfly is Not a Crime"
    The Medley Relays will be 3 x 500 Back, Breast, and Fly.
    Imagine being the anchor of a relay finishing it up with a 500 fly. It can't get much better then that!

You will have a year to swim events and you will be able to swim at meets, practices, or on your own for times.
    Open water events must be swum in USMS or FINA sanctioned events (insurance).

You may submit as many times as you want during the year. Obviously the first ones in will automatically set an Unofficial World Nonconforming Record. They will receive an Official Proclamation from the mayor of our fair town, the Honorable George B Fitch (co-founder of the 1988 Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team) proclaiming to the entire world the details of your feat.

Our web site is in the last stage of beta and we need critical eyes.
    We will be submitting for sanction at the end of the week.
    Please send critical comments to swimflyfast@warrentonmasters.org

I am curious to find out which stroke gets the most participants.

Web Site link:

2013 - 2014 Butterfly is Not a Crime Distance Postal Swim

Blog Entries

Re: Butterfly is Not a Crime

Quote Originally Posted by swimflyfast View Post
    Warrenton Masters Swim Program is excited to be offering a one of a kind postal swim without "Crawl".
    Imagine being the anchor of a relay finishing it up with a 500 fly. It can't get much better then that!

You will have a year to swim events and you will be able to swim at meets, practices, or on your own for times.

You may submit as many times as you want during the year. Obviously the first ones in will automatically set an Unofficial World Nonconforming Record. They will receive an Official Proclamation from the mayor of our fair town, the Honorable George B Fitch (co-founder of the 1988 Jamaican Olympic Bobsled Team) proclaiming to the entire world the details of your feat.

Web Site link:

This is simultaneously the best and the worst thing I have seen today.
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Re: Butterfly is Not a Crime

Quote Originally Posted by swimflyfast View Post

Web Site link:

You need to make it an individual event also.1500 IM no free,ending with fly,sounds like a good challenge
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435 LastLast