Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Middle Distance Lane

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: The Middle Distance Lane

Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly View Post
    After my swim this morning I have decided on the go out fast and hold on theory for my upcoming 500. Thinking way back I actually did this unintentionally the day I set my PR for the 400. It also brought back the pain and suffering it took to get there, and I now have 6+ minutes of pain to look forward to on Saturday rather than 5+.
    If you do it right, you still may only have 5+ minutes of pain and suffering! I like the "go out fast and hold on technique" as well. If my training is all there, it'll come. If not I'll still die anyway, so I just figure Go For It!

Also if there's anyone here going to the DAM meet at the weekend and can count to 20 for me (or even count 20 down to 0), it'd be much appreciated. I can count when not swimming - even to 66
    I'll be going to the DAM meet too! But I'm not really sure that it's the same meet you're talking about. I'll be in Courd A'Lane, Idaho!!

Blog Entries

After my swim this morning I have decided on the go out fast and hold on theory for my upcoming 500. Thinking way back I actually did this unintentionally the day I set my PR for the 400. It also brought back the pain and suffering it took to get there, and I now have 6+ minutes of pain to look forward to on Saturday rather than 5+.

Just needed to get that out where people might understand....

Also if there's anyone here going to the DAM meet at the weekend and can count to 20 for me (or even count 20 down to 0), it'd be much appreciated. I can count when not swimming - even to 66
    Ha! In High School I did the go out fast and hold on...but I didn't do much holding on. Mostly because I wanted to swim the 100 & 200 and my coach had me pegged as a distance guy. I had to beat the guys swimming 100 with my splits before the coach would take me seriously as a sprinter.

Of course, now I try to pace it better, but I find that if I go out too slow, it's hard to get the speed I need (want?) in the second half. So I'm trying to go out faster. My times are getting better, but the fades are pretty bad, too. Getting old, I guess

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    If you do it right, you still may only have 5+ minutes of pain and suffering! I like the "go out fast and hold on technique" as well. If my training is all there, it'll come. If not I'll still die anyway, so I just figure Go For It!
    Like sub 6 mins is going to happen this week - I think not, although it'd be cool if it did. PR of 5.15 for 400 SCM is equivalent to just under the 6 min mark, and I don't think I'm quite there yet!

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    I'll be going to the DAM meet too! But I'm not really sure that it's the same meet you're talking about. I'll be in Courd A'Lane, Idaho!!
    It'd be a long way for you to see to count - I'll be in Dallas, Tx (Dallas Aquatic Masters), but good luck with it
    30something and way too young for my times

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

It's been a lot of years, but I clearly remember that my best swims in the 500 came when I took the first 100 out at a pace that felt almost ridiculously slow, and held the last 4 100s at almost exactly the same pace. My arms would really start burning at about lap 13. This is the point where I would try to pick up the pace, but in reality I was just countering my natural slowing down. 'did one in practice about a month ago with this strategy and knocked about 20s off my previous best in practice from the past few years.

Good luck with the 500. Let us know how it goes.

I did distance in H S & college. I'm still good at it but, I like to do other swims now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    I did distance in H S & college. I'm still good at it but, I like to do other swims now.
    Me too, but I'm still doing them. I'm focusing on the 200 & 500 (400 LCM) and just "swim up" and do the 1000 (well, I did at SC Nats last Spring and will this Spring). The 500 is probably my favorite race and is best suited for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    It's been a lot of years, but I clearly remember that my best swims in the 500 came when I took the first 100 out at a pace that felt almost ridiculously slow, and held the last 4 100s at almost exactly the same pace. My arms would really start burning at about lap 13. This is the point where I would try to pick up the pace, but in reality I was just countering my natural slowing down. 'did one in practice about a month ago with this strategy and knocked about 20s off my previous best in practice from the past few years.

Key to the 500 is to be able to be out fast, but an "easy" fast. That is where all the training comes in. Its a fine line to walk between being out too fast (and dying the last 200) or being left behind to play catch up the whole race. My best 500's I was always just a couple seconds off my best 200 at the 200 split.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lump View Post
    Key to the 500 is to be able to be out fast, but an "easy" fast. That is where all the training comes in. Its a fine line to walk between being out too fast (and dying the last 200) or being left behind to play catch up the whole race. My best 500's I was always just a couple seconds off my best 200 at the 200 split.
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Yesterday I swam 2 500s - first one I took out steady and built the whole way through, the second I swam out hard and hung on and came in 2 secs faster. While 2 secs in training isn't much to shout about, it was the 2nd one of the day and it felt like a 400 used to. I think I need to swim out hard but control my stroke length on the first 100-200 to get to that "easy" fast point. I still have tomorrow to try the strategy out

Blog Entries

So as you asked......I finished in 6.16, I had entered a time of 6.15 and hoped to do around 6.10. However I can't be disappointed as:

1. I based the entry time (and hopeful time) on the 400m time I did when my oldest was 9 months old. At that point I was 5 lbs lighter/thinner and was being coached.

2. It was my very first 500yd and it is very different from a 400m

3. The meet ran fast and I had already done a good 50 fly and 100 free (equalled my PRs)

4. The pool was a little on the warm side and shallow

Still the meet was a lot of fun - 5 solid swims on the Saturday and 10 hilarious ones on the Sunday.

I got a couple of compliments on my fly too, so I'm now on to "Project 200 fly"

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

So as you asked......I finished in 6.16, I had entered a time of 6.15 and hoped to do around 6.10. However I can't be disappointed as: ...Still the meet was a lot of fun - 5 solid swims on the Saturday and 10 hilarious ones on the Sunday.

I got a couple of compliments on my fly too, so I'm now on to "Project 200 fly"
    'sounds like you had a very good meet. Excellent job guessing your entry time in the 500 too! First time ever... that's a solid swim. I'm curious, did you use a 2-beat or 6-beat kick, or some combination?

Blog Entries

'sounds like you had a very good meet. Excellent job guessing your entry time in the 500 too! First time ever... that's a solid swim. I'm curious, did you use a 2-beat or 6-beat kick, or some combination?
    I am Mrs Very-Lazy-Kicker and don't pay nearly as much attention to my legs as I should. I use a 2 beat kick for the majority of the race, then pick it up to 4 or 6 or whatever my legs do when I kick harder through the last 100.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

I am Mrs Very-Lazy-Kicker and don't pay nearly as much attention to my legs as I should. I use a 2 beat kick for the majority of the race, then pick it up to 4 or 6 or whatever my legs do when I kick harder through the last 100.
    500 free, 200 fly, If you aren't careful you might get in good shape! Joking aside, it seems like this strategy worked well for you. If my memory of my previous swimming life is correct, it's the same kicking strategy that I used in the 500. My current project is the 100 free. My coach has told me in no uncertain terms that my lazy 2-beat cross-over kick just isn't going to cut it. I'm finding out that is is pretty exhausting to actually kick when swimming freestyle.

Blog Entries

I'm finding out that is is pretty exhausting to actually kick when swimming freestyle.
    Me too! I kicked most of the way on the 100 free .....ouch

Blog Entries

Keith Switzer & Chris Stevenson in Mesa Nationals 200 free, Men's 45-49 final heat:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a7scmc4FvE"]YouTube - Mens 45-49 200 Free Final Heat, Mesa Nationals[/nomedia]

Blog Entries

N
    Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Keith Switzer & Chris Stevenson in Mesa Nationals 200 free, Men's 45-49 final heat:

YouTube - Mens 45-49 200 Free Final Heat, Mesa Nationals
    Nice tight race, thanks for sharing.

I was always a mid to long distance swimmer. Never swam in college so I only swam the 1500 once and can't for the life of me remember what my time was in it. I will definitely be fitting in the mid distance category as having the time to train for long distance is not in the cards.

Blog Entries

No one else swims like Chris. It's almost like he's doing backstroke only on his stomach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    No one else swims like Chris. It's almost like he's doing backstroke only on his stomach.
    It kind of reminds me of my stroke when I had a good tempo going only it was just my breathing side, big high reach. Not sure if it was to try and get more breath or a deeper dig with my opposite stroke. 52,55 pretty good splits as well

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really think it is split arm butterfly.

Blog Entries

I looks painful...fast...but painful. BTW, Switzer was my college coach! Reminds me I need to hit him up for some more "speed" workouts!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123