Thread: recovering from knee replacement help

Participating Member

recovering from knee replacement help

I had total knee replacement on Nov 22nd. I was finally starting to feel an improvement in my conditioning before surgery but have not been able to swim since surgery. Thankfully the conditioning before surgery really helped me get off the walker and cane quickly. After 2 weeks I was walking free of devices.

I tried to swim today. The flutter kick is killing me. I hear the knee noise and there is lateral pain.

Has anyone on the boards had knee replacement surgery while they were swimming? What did you encounter?

Thanks

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: recovering from knee replacement help

I don't know about swimming after a knee replacement, but I do know that my dad had both knees done (1 at a time). His recovery was not that good, but that is also because he DID NOT follow the doctors advice with the aftercare, rest, rehab, etc. I would consider taking it easy for a while. Water is more gentle than working out on land, that is for sure.

No TKR for me but did have major repairs for knee dislocation in 1990 with additional reconstruction in 1991. I am on borrowed time, the orthopedist had predicted I would have ruined what's left of that knee by 2000 requiring TKR.

Best results are from patients who are motivated to return to a high level of function, follow doc's orders and are aggressive during physical therapy. The PT's I worked with like dealing with athletes because of their attitude.

My mom's TKRs were the beginning of the end of mobility and independence for her. She was not adequately conditioned going into surgery and never graduated from a walker afterwards.

There will be pain but you need to know what is "good" pain and what is destructive. Abnormal knee motion is not good.

While you are rehabbing, consider dragging / minimal kick on your bad knee for a gentler effect while still allowing conditioning for the rest of you. Pull-only or put a fin on the good leg if you need it.

During my first year post-op I had to wear a leg brace 24x7. I learned the one-legged flip turn, one-legged backstroke start, one-legged open turn and breaststroke w/ dolphin kick. The breaststroke w/ dolphin is a great drill to teach body position for both short-axis strokes and I still do it 20 years post-op due to limits in how much breaststroke kick I can perform without pain.

2 hip replacments in 99 & 07 have taught me to listen to my body better . PAIN is not s good sign ! Try to work the knee a bit easier for all the time it takes. You do not want to go thru that again !!

Very Active Member

A teammate of mine has had both knees replaced and swims regularly in competition, even doing IMs. Email me and I will give you her address.
    durrant6 at cox dot net

I have 2 knee replacements. No breastroke after the knee stuff. The flutter or dolphin kick are done easily, no heavy kicking until it doesn't hurt. Of course I spent the last years of my swimming carreer as a marathon swimmer so never over did the kicking thing any ways.
    Keep it simple
    George Park

New Bottom Line Pricing http://www.swimdownhill.com

Quote Originally Posted by rirunyan View Post
    I had total knee replacement on Nov 22nd. I was finally starting to feel an improvement in my conditioning before surgery but have not been able to swim since surgery. Thankfully the conditioning before surgery really helped me get off the walker and cane quickly. After 2 weeks I was walking free of devices.

I tried to swim today. The flutter kick is killing me. I hear the knee noise and there is lateral pain.

Has anyone on the boards had knee replacement surgery while they were swimming? What did you encounter?

Thanks
    I would be interested in hearing an update. I am likely going in for a total knee replacement in April or May and was hoping to get some information on the recovery process.