Thread: At your state meet

At your state meet

Are swimmers from out of state allowed/permitted to earn points toward high point winner in each of the age groups at your "state "meet?

Should they be allowed to swim, but not take away pints from your swimmers that are at meets all year?

Am I just full of crap because a guy did this in my state to me last year?

Very Active Member

Re: At your state meet

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    Are swimmers from out of state allowed/permitted to earn points toward high point winner in each of the age groups at your "state "meet?

Should they be allowed to swim, but not take away pints from your swimmers that are at meets all year?

Am I just full of crap because a guy did this in my state to me last year?
    1st place* Orca
    *denotes technical win, but not actual.

Would you really want to asterisk your win?

I wouldn't.

Call me fastest if I am indeed the fastest at the meet in my event. Call me the best if i'm the best. If not, the glory be to the faster/better man. Same with point scoring if you're into that.

Why not instead use this as your driving force to beat him this year? It'll prolly feel even better than an asterisk win if you do

Very Active Member

Answer - Yes

Should they be allowed to swim, but not take away points from your swimmers that are at meets all year?

Answer - they should be allowed to swim and earn points just like any other swimmer that enters the meet.

Am I just full of crap because a guy did this in my state
    to me last year?
    I am not going to answer this last question but give you an explanation of what we do in Michigan.

The Michigan Masters State Championship Meet is open to anyone with a valid registration card. We have people from Canada swim in our meet so its not just USMS members. It's open to anyone in the world that is registered with a FINA member nation club. You are eligible for all individual awards (medals, ribbons) and the individual high point award if you happen to win your age group. Also your team/club is eligible for the team awards and it does not matter if the team is from the State/LMSC or not.

The only thing a swimmer who is not registered in the Michigan LMSC is not eligible for is the Michigan LMSC State Records. However, we have Championship Meet Records now and anyone that swims including relays in the meet are eligible for those records. For the last 2 years we have had over to 300 swimmers and last year we had 348 swimmers. Traditionally this is the biggest meet we have in Michigan and in some years we have close to over 50% of the swimmers registered in the LMSC compete in the meet.
    Skip Thompson

I swam at the LCM Nats in Savannah in '04, had my best time in the 400 free and was second to a guy from the Netherlands. Would have been my first national championship! Drat!!

In '06 I swam the 400 at the German Nationals in Berlin, beat the field and won the German National championship.

And so it goes....

Blog Entries

We don't have individual high point awards, but for the team competition only the teams from within PNA are scored.

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knelson View Post
    We don't have individual high point awards, but for the team competition only the teams from within PNA are scored.
    I know...I'm always at the bottom of the lists at the PNA Champs...with a BIG ** next to my name. I think the ** means "what the heck are you doing here...go back where you came from!!!"

Our LMSC (Inland NW) does a total season(SCY) individual and team high point, ending with our Champs meet at the end of March. Basically you have to attend each meet, score at the top of your age group, or break records in your age group for "bonus points". I won the individual last year, but skipped one meet this year to go to the NW SCM Zone meet in Utah instead. You do get a nominal gift certificate which is cool...if it were worth a significant amount, there may be more effort in attaining it. The team championship award is more just for bragging rights! We won that last year too, and are in contention again, depending how many people decide to attend the Champs meet.
    Last edited by jaadams1; March 17th, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post
    I know...I'm always at the bottom of the lists at the PNA Champs...with a BIG ** next to my name. I think the ** means "what the heck are you doing here...go back where you came from!!!"
    I remember some Oregonauts being confused about that last year. They couldn't understand why they were listed as exhibition. I wasn't exactly the best person to explain it to them, but I think I got the LMSC/club/team thing right.

This year's PNA meet is also the Zone meet so you shouldn't have that problem. But if for some reason you do, then rest assured that I'm at you for worrying about points in a Masters meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I swam at the LCM Nats in Savannah in '04, had my best time in the 400 free and was second to a guy from the Netherlands. Would have been my first national championship! Drat!!

In '06 I swam the 400 at the German Nationals in Berlin, beat the field and won the German National championship.

And so it goes....
    Wow, Glenn...all this time and I didn't even know you're German (jk). We'll give you honorary dual citizenship. Maybe we should make that duel citizenship.

Jim

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

And so it goes....
    Forget Germany, you need to go to the Netherlands to participate in their national championship for some payback. (If the offending individual is substantially faster than you so that you can't get the victory by training harder, maybe you can select a year when you will be in a different age group.)

Karl,

Already got payback at Worlds in Sweden last summer! Beat him by 3 seconds in the 400 free.

Jim,

Not German (like here, anyone can swim at the German Nationals), but I do have Russian, Polish and Austrian born grandparents, so maybe I can have quadruple citizenship!!!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Karl,

Already got payback at Worlds in Sweden last summer! Beat him by 3 seconds in the 400 free.
    Very sweet!

Very Active Member

Karl,

Now train even harder and take him by 3 seconds in the 50

So - - I need to do personal bests to beat the out of state guy???
    That will take some doing, but I will give it a best effort tis year!!

Quote Originally Posted by fmracing View Post
    Now train even harder and take him by 3 seconds in the 50
    I like it, I like it!!!

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So - - I need to do personal bests to beat the out of state guy???
    That will take some doing, but I will give it a best effort tis year!!
    Better hurry up Oz, you got exactly 21 days! That means about 1 more week to put your body through hell then what? 2 weeks of taper into State?

Good luck, see you in 3 weeks!
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Taper better start soon, cuz I'm falling apart with this staying in shape stuff!!

OH YEAH !!! Then do it again for Nationals !!