Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rich Abrahams on Swimming World Morning show...

Rich Abrahams on Swimming World Morning show...

Super cool interview with Rich about his Atlanta Nationls performances and his training- check out at SwimmingWorld.com

Wannabe Middle D. Swimmer qbrain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Rich Abrahams on Swimming World Morning show...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Strand View Post
    Super cool interview with Rich about his Atlanta Nationls performances and his training- check out at SwimmingWorld.com
    Really? It came across that Peter Busch didn't know enough about swimming to ask Rich questions.

I hope someone takes the time to do a real interview with Rich.

It is super cool that Rich has been recognized by Swimming World. Well deserved.

Well I agree with the interview but Rich was great. I am just glad Rich is getting the respect and publicity he deserves.

Rich was great,but it would have been nice if the interviewer had been more specific in asking about his workouts and meet preparation.Rich evidently had a plan from 1/1/09 getting ready for this meet and I'd have been interested to hear more about that.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Love SWIMMING! Ahelee Sue Osborn's Avatar

One of you guys should get together with Rich and interview him!

Put it on YouTube and send it out to the media. Someone will pick it up because you know you're good - and Rich is great!

Love that he is willing to share his ongoing training - and efforts toward transcending his past ...unbelievable successes.

Very Active Member

Alan,
    I did have a plan that I credit Eric Hochstein for inspiring in late 2008. I've always centered my training around racing (like you) but Eric inspired me to have a goal of a minimum of 15,000 meters of race effort swimming between Jan. 2009 and nationals in May 2010.

Now this is not hard swimming, but true race pace and it's much harder than it sounds. Actual competions were included in the yardage, but it also included lots of all out broken 100's. An example is 4 X broken 100 on the 10 minutes. You start with a 50 off the blocks @ all out race pace. On the :45 go an all out 25 (the watch starts when your head goes under) and then on the :30 go an all out 25 kick. I would alternate fly and free 100's. I did meet my goal and had a total 0f 17,000 meters of what I call "race effort" swims during that period.

Working on pure speed is much easier. An example is 10-15 50's on 2:00 in groups of 5. Number 1, do a breakout and 6 all out strokes. Number 2, the same with 7 strokes. and progress so that number 5 is 10 strokes. Then repeat 2 more times. This really stimulates the nervous system and there is lots of technique to work on like keeping your face totally relaxed during numerous all out efforts.

Regarding the interview, my only real disappointment was not being given an opportunity to discuss the many positive aspects of masters swimming to a wider audience of swimmers.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Abrahams View Post
    Alan,
    I did have a plan that I credit Eric Hochstein for inspiring in late 2008. I've always centered my training around racing (like you) but Eric inspired me to have a goal of a minimum of 15,000 meters of race effort swimming between Jan. 2009 and nationals in May 2010.

Now this is not hard swimming, but true race pace and it's much harder than it sounds. Actual competions were included in the yardage, but it also included lots of all out broken 100's. An example is 4 X broken 100 on the 10 minutes. You start with a 50 off the blocks @ all out race pace. On the :45 go an all out 25 (the watch starts when your head goes under) and then on the :30 go an all out 25 kick. I would alternate fly and free 100's. I did meet my goal and had a total 0f 17,000 meters of what I call "race effort" swims during that period.

Working on pure speed is much easier. An example is 10-15 50's on 2:00 in groups of 5. Number 1, do a breakout and 6 all out strokes. Number 2, the same with 7 strokes. and progress so that number 5 is 10 strokes. Then repeat 2 more times. This really stimulates the nervous system and there is lots of technique to work on like keeping your face totally relaxed during numerous all out efforts.

Regarding the interview, my only real disappointment was not being given an opportunity to discuss the many positive aspects of masters swimming to a wider audience of swimmers.
    Rich
    Thank You!!!
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Blog Entries

Alan,
    Rich
    Rich: are you saying 15,000 meters of race effort per week or per month?

Can't wait 'till you start blogging (hint, hint)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    Rich: are you saying 15,000 meters of race effort per week or per month?
    I am pretty sure it is per day.

Joking aside, Rich's goal means that the only swim that really counts is a 50 from the blocks sub 24, or from a push sub 26. If I did 15k of those efforts, I might look as good as he does too.

Blog Entries

Now this is not hard swimming, but true race pace and it's much harder than it sounds. Actual competions were included in the yardage, but it also included lots of all out broken 100's. An example is 4 X broken 100 on the 10 minutes. You start with a 50 off the blocks @ all out race pace. On the :45 go an all out 25 (the watch starts when your head goes under) and then on the :30 go an all out 25 kick. I would alternate fly and free 100's.
    Speedo and I have done this set!

Rich, How many x a week do you swim? How many days per week do you do true race pace efforts? Do you need recovery days in between?

As to drylands, I've also grown fond of your med ball game and med ball slamming. Though a partner would help! What other drylands do you recommend? Have you done or considered TRX?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    Speedo and I have done this set!
    I've done this set too and I 'm sure it's better with friends...I had breakthroughs and I believe that some of that "last 25" power that I needed was in part due to practicing that set.

a goal of a minimum of 15,000 meters of race effort swimming between Jan. 2009 and nationals in May 2010.

Now this is not hard swimming, but true race pace and it's much harder than it sounds. Actual competions were included in the yardage, but it also included lots of all out broken 100's.

I did meet my goal and had a total 0f 17,000 meters of what I call "race effort" swims during that period.
    Setting a goal - training for it from Jan 2009 - May 2010.

This is so interesting to me as a coach and as a swimmer.

As a coach, trying to even introduce this type or concept of specific "race effort training" to a group of masters swimmers who are mainly interested in 4,000 yards in an hour... pretty close to impossible.
    It constantly blows me away how much athletes love junk yardage training and unfortunately, GoTheDistance has only made things more troublesome in this area.

As a swimmer, trying to do this type of training alone.
    It involves an incredible amount of discipline and drive. I'm happy to hear that Rich has a few training mates to share the fun on some days.
    I wonder how their results went at Nationals?

Those of you who have not seen Rich in person - the 30+ years of dry land work shows. He doesn't just look like a swimmer. He looks like a man who could take on most any challenge. That overall athleticism is another key word I heard in the interview.

Congratulations Rich!
    I hope we have the chance to hear more from you.
    Sounds like we will soon

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain View Post
    Really? It came across that Peter Busch didn't know enough about swimming to ask Rich questions.
    I apologize. That was immature. I was disappointed that Peter did not choose to go further in depth with Rich on the answers Rich provided during the interview. Swimming World's target audience is not me, and the Swimming World interviews are meant to be short.

The interview was beneficial to USMS. The more exposed USAS athletes are to USMS, the better it will be for USMS in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by qbrain View Post
    I apologize. That was immature. I was disappointed that Peter did not choose to go further in depth with Rich on the answers Rich provided during the interview. Swimming World's target audience is not me, and the Swimming World interviews are meant to be short.
    The interview was beneficial to USMS. The more exposed USAS athletes are to USMS, the better it will be for USMS in the long run.
    I thought Rich set up Peter for some more in-depth questioning as well, but I think you may be right about the time constraints.

USMS has a great video crew now operating under Ben C. and the resource of SWIMMER Magazine as well. Hopefully they will spot the opportunity for a goldmine of training information.

But jeez - how fun would it be to have our Forum favs ask the questions?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    As to drylands, I've also grown fond of your med ball game and med ball slamming. Though a partner would help! What other drylands do you recommend? Have you done or considered TRX?
    Fort, we'll have to get together again and do that med ball game again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahelee Sue Osborn View Post
    Setting a goal - training for it from Jan 2009 - May 2010.

This is so interesting to me as a coach and as a swimmer.

As a coach, trying to even introduce this type or concept of specific "race effort training" to a group of masters swimmers who are mainly interested in 4,000 yards in an hour... pretty close to impossible.
    It constantly blows me away how much athletes love junk yardage training and unfortunately, GoTheDistance has only made things more troublesome in this area.
    This is something I have struggled with as a former junk yardage swimmer. My former team is so into this and it did wonders for my GTD. They are now up to 10,000 yards in 2 hours! My new team believes quality over quantity. I constantly have to remind myself that my times are getting faster with the new team and junk yardage isn't worth it. I like Rich's idea of the race effort training. We do this a lot (did it today in fact).

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked the interview, it was nice. I suppose I don't really expect such things to get too detailed & technical in that forum. Anyway, Rich has always been willing to explain his training here whenever he's been asked.

I think it was also great that Rich's was the first master's performance that was ever labeled as a "performance of the week."

All the accolades are well deserved.

Paragon / Swimming Virtue
    Blog Entries

Fun set. I like to take things the other direction as well: start with a lot of strokes and decrease the number with each repeat, to maintain speed with increasing fatigue. Or do a pyramid.

Blog Entries

I recognize the clip of his 50 fly during the interview .

Very Active Member

Our Rich Abrahams love fest continues at Swimming World:

Read this.
    Get a copy of my book Odd Man Out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast