Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dryland Training For Swimmers

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Dryland Training For Swimmers

Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    I think I got the terminology wrong. I mean a three point plank on the ball, i.e. only one hand on the ground.
    I was trying to imagine maintaining balance on a physioball with just one hand and your body flat in the air.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424 View Post
    I was trying to imagine maintaining balance on a physioball with just one hand and your body flat in the air.
    Of all the routines on the physioball I think this is one of the toughest, if not the toughest.

I was trying to do it with NO hands on the ground -- but the ball kept rolling, I only got about 2 - 5 seconds up there at most. Is this impossible, or just a good long range goal?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pendaluft View Post
    I was trying to do it with NO hands on the ground -- but the ball kept rolling, I only got about 2 - 5 seconds up there at most. Is this impossible, or just a good long range goal?
    If you can dream it, you can do it.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Participating Member

Does rope-climbing carry over to swimming?

Very Active Member

Here's a great book for bodyweight exercises including sample training programs.
    The author Ross Enamait is a former boxer and now a coach:
    http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html

Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424 View Post
    If you can dream it, you can do it.
    "Don't dream it; be it!" --Richard O'Brien, the Rocky Horror Show

I believe rope climbing is one of the most effective dryland exercises. It involves the same muscles that we "pull" with in swimming and involves rotation during each pull when one hand crosses over the other as you climb the rope. One of the most important aspects of this exercise is that the spine must remain secure and stable for someone to use their lats and climb up the rope - basically, the core work in this exercise is tremendous.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guppy View Post
    Of all the routines on the physioball I think this is one of the toughest, if not the toughest.
    Much harder if you're actually in a full superman streamline position.

I wish there were a rope at my gym. I'd like that dryland.

This is what we have been doing the past month to improve our power endurance in the legs. Pushing a truck or SUV is simple and is very effective in increasing power and the ability to deal with igh levels of lactic acid in the muscle. Check out the video clip below.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L559KJX8oU4"]YouTube - Drlyand Training for Swimmers - Pushing the Navigator[/nomedia]

I work with weights 3 days a week. I usually do a push/pull type circuit with sit ups and a squat/jumps set in between.

30+ pushups
    15+ ez curls
    situps/leg raises/other ab exercise
    20+ dips
    15+ lat pulldowns
    squats/jump sets

I tend to do lower weight/higher reps since it seems to be easier on my shoulders. I go through this circuit 4-6 times with little rest. Sometimes I split the set with a 20-30min run on the treadmill. Whole thing with the run takes about an hour.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog7946 View Post
    I work with weights 3 days a week. I usually do a push/pull type circuit with sit ups and a squat/jumps set in between.

30+ pushups
    15+ ez curls
    situps/leg raises/other ab exercise
    20+ dips
    15+ lat pulldowns
    squats/jump sets

I tend to do lower weight/higher reps since it seems to be easier on my shoulders. I go through this circuit 4-6 times with little rest. Sometimes I split the set with a 20-30min run on the treadmill. Whole thing with the run takes about an hour.
    This is amazingly close to my routine. How long have you been using it? Has it had a demonstrable effect on your swimming?

I've been doing this routine for about 2 months now..in the begining I could only do 2 sets of each with only 20 pushups each set....as far as how its affecting my swimming..IDK I haven't been timed since nationals but I definatly feel stronger in practice. I've held some really good 10x50 sprint sets during practice over the last two weeks and from the jump squats I feel a bit more oooooomph coming off walls.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Some time ago I posted this question:
    Suppose I do 3 different exercises (e.g. planks, curls, squats). What are the relative merits of doing them in a cycle (planks, curls, squats, planks, curls, squats...) versus doing them serially, (planks, planks, planks, curls, curls, curls, squats, squats, squats...)?
    Grif replied:
    Its not exactly the pattern you do - its the rest between sets. For example of I do 3 sets of planks for 1 minute and take 30 seconds rest in between it would be beneficial to do some pull ups during the rest period. Reall, its the difference of doin another exercise during your rest time between planks instead of just sitting there.
    So now I am thinking about how this relates to swimming sets. Consider this 1600 yd set:

8x(100 AFAP + 100 active recovery)/4:00 - do 4 of them freestyle and 4 backstroke.

I have found that I can swim faster times and hurt less if I alternate fr, bk, fr, bk... than if I do the first 4 one stroke and the second 4 the other stroke. Is there any good reason to believe that is better to alternate strokes, or swim them in groups? I tend to think that since the goal is to train to swim fast, it is better to do them in whatevery way yields teh fastest swims. On the other hand, sometimes I think it is mentally easier to get one group over with, then tackle the next group... maybe the difference is insignificant and it would be more beneficial to just go do some drylands than sit at the computer terminal and split hairs over minutia...

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    Some time ago I posted this question:

Grif replied:

So now I am thinking about how this relates to swimming sets. Consider this 1600 yd set:

8x(100 AFAP + 100 active recovery)/4:00 - do 4 of them freestyle and 4 backstroke.

I have found that I can swim faster times and hurt less if I alternate fr, bk, fr, bk... than if I do the first 4 one stroke and the second 4 the other stroke. Is there any good reason to believe that is better to alternate strokes, or swim them in groups? I tend to think that since the goal is to train to swim fast, it is better to do them in whatevery way yields teh fastest swims. On the other hand, sometimes I think it is mentally easier to get one group over with, then tackle the next group... maybe the difference is insignificant and it would be more beneficial to just go do some drylands than sit at the computer terminal and split hairs over minutia...
    During our strength circuit we might alternate a squat with a plank. The plank will not cause you to fatigue during the squat since the are working different muscles in different ways. If I want to cause more fatigue I can do all the squats in a row and then do all the planks in a row. I believe this concept can be applied to swimming.

I would think less squats for swimming & more arms.

Quote Originally Posted by orca1946 View Post
    I would think less squats for swimming & more arms.
    I was just using these exercises as an example to make my point. As far as the debate between lower and upper body exercises goes, there is no reason not to do both (aside from injury or limitations). Lower body should be emphasized more in breaststrokers than others. However, lower body strength and power exercises are going to translate into more power in the start and the turn for any swimmer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    I was just using these exercises as an example to make my point. As far as the debate between lower and upper body exercises goes, there is no reason not to do both (aside from injury or limitations). Lower body should be emphasized more in breaststrokers than others. However, lower body strength and power exercises are going to translate into more power in the start and the turn for any swimmer.
    Not to mention a properly performed squat will work a huge chunk of the body.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    During our strength circuit we might alternate a squat with a plank. The plank will not cause you to fatigue during the squat since the are working different muscles in different ways. If I want to cause more fatigue I can do all the squats in a row and then do all the planks in a row. I believe this concept can be applied to swimming.
    This is exactly what I am trying to understand. What are the relative merits of causing more fatigue, versus alternating exercises so that you do each one with less fatiigue?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karl_S View Post
    This is exactly what I am trying to understand. What are the relative merits of causing more fatigue, versus alternating exercises so that you do each one with less fatiigue?
    When you're trying to cause more fatigue - and seeing what your body can handle - you're training more so for endurance (less rest between sets).
    When you're alternating - you're training more so for strength and or power (depending on your interval - more rest)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast