Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: USMS Code of conduct VS. USMS Free For All Forum

Re: USMS Code of conduct VS. USMS Free For All Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Karlene View Post
    Lindsey,
    Check out:
    http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_ins.pdf

On the last page it states that if USMS group is, for example, in lanes 1-3 and a totally separate workout is occurring in other lanes that is not part of the USMS workout, the USMS group is still covered.
    Are they a part of the same club/team, or a different one?

IIRC, this is a requirement if they are a part of the same club/team. We don't use the term workout group around here, so I don't know how they are defined.

We were always told taht if if 'noodlers are a part of your team, and you want your team to be covered, they have to be USMS members' Were we told incorrectly?

I think this was true even if other insurance was preset, but I need to double check that detail.
    -Connie
    I'd rather be swimming http://www.mastersmvnswim.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Conniekat8 View Post
    Not true. In many poolsin order to have insurance, *all* people have to be USMS members, or the insurace is void - for everyone.
    At ourpool, if we want to allow "noodlers" the only way the wole pool can be insured is to make them join USMS.

It's a way for USMS to beef up their membership numbers by a large silent group who is unaware of their rights and privileges.

I think it's a disgrace, really.
    But that is the way your pool has made a rule. The rule is that all people in a USMS coached practice must be USMS members. If your pool has chosen to do something different, then that is your pool's choice, not a USMS rule. I have been a member of 3 different masters teams due to moving. None have had a rule like that nor have any pools I have visited had a rule like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    If you would like accurate information, please refer to the Local guide to Operations or contact the national office.
    We did, and we are operating according to their instruction. Mark Moore, or team dorector just confirmed this. He told me last time he checked was roughly two years ago. Have there been changes since then making it less strict?

You just told me something I said was innacurate, it would be nice if you clarified here, where you are telling me I'm wrong. We already asked local guide of operatins, and have structured our membership accordingly. Now you are telling me we are not doing it accurately.

You are a part of the national office, I belive second in command, no?
    So which is it?

here's what we have:
    One and only masters team, opearting at the pool.
    We allow Noodlers to join our team, which is the only way they can get access to the pool.
    No other workout groups, teams clubs etc, aside from USA Swimming part of Nadadores are present or opearting at the pool, or swimming at the same time as we do.

Do all of our team members have to be USMS members for us to retain insurance coverage for the workout group, or not?

If some of our swimmers are swimming uninsured, as there is no other insurance coverage present, what does this do to the overall insurance coverage?

Two years ago, when we did check, we were told, by someone who deals with the insurance at the USMS level, that if we want to be insured, all of our swimmers need to be USMS member so or we would be in violation, and noone iscovered.

Is this true, or not? I was confident it was, till you just told me I was wrong. Please elaborate.
    Last edited by Conniekat8; August 1st, 2010 at 04:09 PM.
    -Connie

Quote Originally Posted by swimshark View Post
    But that is the way your pool has made a rule. The rule is that all people in a USMS coached practice must be USMS members. If your pool has chosen to do something different, then that is your pool's choice, not a USMS rule. I have been a member of 3 different masters teams due to moving. None have had a rule like that nor have any pools I have visited had a rule like that.
    So what?
    We're talking about noodlers here. The point is, in many cases, they can very easily be members of USMS. On our team they are.

Just because they are not a part of YOUR team, and you're not sure if they are USMS members, it doesn't mean it's okay to bash them.

They can very easily be USMS members, or not, no way to tell just by looking at them and theid swimming or noodling style.

Just becaus they are not a part of *your* USMS workout group, unless you check with the pool operator, you also don't know if they are not a part of another USMS Entity.
    -Connie

Is everyone on *your* team a USMS member?
    Does your team rely on USMS for insurance coverage?
    -Connie

it would be nice if you clarified here,
    It would be nice if I could clarify. The reason, I am not is that I do not wish to misrepresent our coverage and honestly I do not know the exact details of all coverage carried by USMS. This is why Iíve suggested you go to the official source for complete and accurate information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Copeland View Post
    It would be nice if I could clarify. The reason, I am not is that I do not wish to misrepresent our coverage and honestly I do not know the exact details of all coverage carried by USMS. This is why I’ve suggested you go to the official source for complete and accurate information.
    I just edited my other post to add this, I don't believe you had a chance to see it yet, so in the interest of fairness, I'm pasting it here, so you don't have to go searching through my edits:

"We did, and we are operating according to their instruction. Mark Moore, or team dorector just confirmed this. He told me last time he checked was roughly two years ago. Have there been changes since then making it less strict?"
    -Connie

Blog Entries

So now we are supposed to cowtow to both you and Heather because of your esteemed positions? And you can treat us with utter disrespect and go on your bizarre rampages, but we can't even talk about gridge races? You are some piece of work, lady. What is in the water in California these days?

I believe you can put a poster on ignore.

And I believe Jeff Roddin can "retain" basic information and will not need further "education." (rolls eyes)

Nice way to address the current Vice president of Administration in the USMS. I think this board falls under his jurisdiction, including the moderators here.
    See: http://www.usms.org/admin/org.php

He is listed second to the president.

However geek, Noone really wants to hear or be private messaged by you either, but we are forced to. So, tough bananas.

Did you guys know that if you don't want someone to keep private messaging you, and you ask for moderators for assistance they won't help you.

Your only choice is to turn your whole private messaging OFF, and cut everyone you talk to in regular basis OFF.

I have NEVER participated in a forum that lame.

Is everyone on *your* team a USMS member?
    Does your team rely on USMS for insurance coverage?
    I practice for an am a member of a USA-S team. The #1 ranked team in the country (which I have contributed points toward) thank you

When I was swimming under a USMS team and was the Vice President, the rule as we interpreted it was, anyone swimming under the USMS coach, had to be a USMS member. If they were in the pool at the same time and swimming on their own, they did not have to be a member of USMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlene View Post
    Lindsey,
    Check out:
    http://www.usms.org/admin/lmschb/lmsc_hb_ins.pdf

On the last page it states that if USMS group is, for example, in lanes 1-3 and a totally separate workout is occurring in other lanes that is not part of the USMS workout, the USMS group is still covered.
    I said:
    USMS insurance states that everyone in the group has to be covered

On our team this means, everyone who swims. None of this is incorrect.
    -Connie

Quote Originally Posted by The Fortress View Post
    And I believe Jeff Roddin can "retain" basic information and will not need further "education." (rolls eyes)
    Fort, I think you are so right here!

I practice for an am a member of a USA-S team. The #1 ranked team in the country (which I have contributed points toward) thank you

When I was swimming under a USMS team and was the Vice President, the rule as we interpreted it was, anyone swimming under the USMS coach, had to be a USMS member. If they were in the pool at the same time and swimming on their own, they did not have to be a member of USMS.
    I didn't say anything about people who are not a part of your swim group, or not swimming under a USMS coach.

You appear to be are so eager to find me wrong and incorrect on something, that you either acidentally or purposelly misinterpreted what I said. I think you need to take a deep breath and chill out and set your personal love for me aside. Your bias is seriously showing, and it's not looking good.

As for a USA-S practices mixing with USMS, there is an unwritten agreement, written about in the the USMS insurance program paperwork stating this:

3. A member of USA Swimming practices with a USMS team. What is the status of the liability insurance for the
    USMS member club and its members?

The USMS liability insurance is in full force for the USMS members. There is an unwritten agreement between USMS and USA Swimming permitting each otherís members to practice with one another. However, USMS coverage does not apply to the USA Swimming members, nor does USA Swimming coverage apply to the USMS members. However, the USA Swimming coverage is only in effect if there is a USA Swimming certified coach supervising the practice.

The USMS liability insurance is in full force for the USMS members. There is an unwritten agreement between USMS and USA Swimming permitting each otherís members to practice with one another. However, USMS
    coverage does not apply to the USA Swimming members, nor does USA Swimming coverage apply to the USMS members. However, the USA Swimming coverage is only in effect if there is a USA Swimming certified coach supervising the practice.

I gather anecdotally that this is because the insurance provider is the same, and policies very similar, for USA-S, and USMS.
    -Connie

So now we are supposed to cowtow to both you and Heather because of your esteemed positions?
    I don't hold any particular position, I'm just another volunteer for my team, SPMA, and USMS, but if you insist on bowing down to me, you may.

Would someone please give her a bath first?

I see that the days of being respectful of USMS leadership are gone too. It's wonderfult to have *anything goes* forums. Great PR for USMS.
    -Connie

And you can treat us with utter disrespect and go on your bizarre rampages
    Darlin', I'm just following your example from the other thread.
    -Connie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Heather View Post
    Ah, but there's the rub. Trash talking to your small group on the big forum is akin to a gang taking over a public park. Yes, there are other parts of the forum to go to, but why would you force others to make that decision? It is very possible that they will leave and not return because of one incident. Not in the best interests of USMS.

If you find that trash talking amongst yourselves is inescapable, why not do it with PMs? Then you can talk all you want and not disturb the informational and idea exchange aspects of the forums that draw new people here.

General humor is one thing, but when your posts involve or address only one or two posters, it has become a private matter best taken to a private forum. You and your friends may laugh hysterically about your posts, but most people reading them range from not understanding the intention of the post, to some extreme of labeling the forum as full of trolls.

Not really sure how you can compare trash talking amongst friends to a gang taking over a park. Trash talking among friends isn't even remotely close. Plus, if you look at it, the trash talking among different posters is viewed as friendly competitions.

Why do we want to PM it? A lot of us enjoy reading the trash talking that appears, mostly, on the usms national championship pages before nationals each year. Some of the older members have provided some of the best comments, yet, if the had to do it in a pm setting, the rest of us wouldn't be able to enjoy the quality of the smackdown.

I have been pm'd many of times by people telling me how much fun they have reading the back and forth between geek and myself. If you don't like it, put on the ignore list.

In the forum, anyone can go anywhere. Words are written and stay here for everyone and anyone to read. The only way they can't be read is if the access to certain areas is made private, which it is not.

This is exactly what I am talking about when I say people are getting false sense of security and ownership. USMS forum isn't their little anything goes, and Code of conduct ahould be trumped by some silly notion of free speech and anything goes.

This is a public place, and things are in writing. People don't even have to be USMS members to come here. I think the only requirement is an email address.
    The forum doesn't have an anything goes. The moderators do a good job of keeping this place from becoming a free for all, as was explained earlier by a number of posters. Sounds like if you had your way, we would only be allowed to say "yes sir" "yes ma'am" and "thank ya sir" and "no thank ya ma'am"

You want a library, not a place for people to be passionate and have fun.

Nice way to address the current Vice president of Administration in the USMS. I think this board falls under his jurisdiction, including the moderators here.
    See: http://www.usms.org/admin/org.php

He is listed second to the president.

However geek, Noone really wants to hear or be private messaged by you either, but we are forced to. So, tough bananas.

I have NEVER participated in a forum that lame.
    Geek-please feel free to keep pm'ing me or writing on the boards because I for one want to hear from you. You make the boards interesting and fun to visit. I bring you some softer bananas too..

Seriously, internet and forums have been around for so long by now, I thought this was common knowledge.

Didn't you know, Al Gore invented the interent. He is pretty old too, so the internet must be very old as well.

Isn't it cute when aquageek comes here and tells him, we don't want to hear your preaching here? I think that's quite a gem.

Here, read up on who is who in the USMS please:
    http://www.usms.org/admin/org.php
    Geek is a diamond in the rough. If he doesn't like what someone is saying, he has the right to express it too. I would rather have someone like him or fort on here that says their mind, instead of beating around the bush with "let's everybody do the political correct thing and all get along, without ever disagreeing with someone so that they don't get their feelings hurt"

FYI- the multi-quote function works really well, so that one reply to numerous quotes without have to start a new post each time.

Quote Originally Posted by LindsayNB View Post
    Is it true that USMS insurance doesn't allow you to split the pool between, for example age group swimmers and masters swimmers, with each having their own lanes? Is it true even if the two groups are divided by a bulkhead?

These are not rhetorical questions, I don't know and I'm genuinely curious.

When there are separate groups present, each of which carries their own insurance, I don't believe this applies.

This is only for people within a workout group, or over here I don't think we use name workout group, it's mostly within a club or a team.

For nadadores, for example, between the USA-S section and USMS, Nadarores Diving and Nadadores Synchro swimming, combined, we have at least 1000 swimmers... it can fluctuate between 700 and 1500, depending on the year and season. I'm not sure what our exact numbers are right now.

AFAIK, We lease the Pool from the City of Mission Viejo, 24/7. For an hour or so every day YMCA has their, I think 2 PM workout there, it's the only time Nadadores aren't in the water. I'm not 100 sure if the Y is subleasing it from us, or operates under the agreement with the city or what, I don't handle that part.

We at nadadores welcome *ALL* levels of swimmers. Competetive, fitness, noodlers, triathletes, people learning, people rehabilitating from injuries etc.

In order for our USMS and USA-S and insurance to stay valid, (synchro and diving I believe too, but I'm not involved on that end) every single nadadore swimmer *must* be a member of USMS or USAS.

Also, for our clinic attendees, I just double checked, it is the 30 day trial membership thing that we make them sign up for, in order to be insured during clinics.
    -Connie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aquageek View Post
    You know, Heather, no one really wants to read your preachy posts.
    Word. Save it for the SPMA politburo meetings.
    This bush league psyche-out stuff. Laughable, man - ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by thewookiee View Post
    FYI- the multi-quote function works really well, so that one reply to numerous quotes without have to start a new post each time.
    I know, I don't feel like using it.

I'm surprized to see you know how to use quote at all. Someone must have just showed you.
    -Connie

I didn't say anything about people who are not a part of your swim group, or not swimming under a USMS coach.

You appear to be are so eager to find me wrong and incorrect on something, that you either acidentally or purposelly misinterpreted what I said. I think you need to take a deep breath and chill out and set your personal love for me aside. Your bias is seriously showing, and it's not looking good.

As for a USA-S practices mixing with USMS, there is an unwritten agreement, written about in the the USMS insurance program paperwork stating this:

3. A member of USA Swimming practices with a USMS team. What is the status of the liability insurance for the
    USMS member club and its members?

The USMS liability insurance is in full force for the USMS members. There is an unwritten agreement between USMS and USA Swimming permitting each otherís members to practice with one another. However, USMS coverage does not apply to the USA Swimming members, nor does USA Swimming coverage apply to the USMS members. However, the USA Swimming coverage is only in effect if there is a USA Swimming certified coach supervising the practice.

The USMS liability insurance is in full force for the USMS members. There is an unwritten agreement between USMS and USA Swimming permitting each otherís members to practice with one another. However, USMS
    coverage does not apply to the USA Swimming members, nor does USA Swimming coverage apply to the USMS members. However, the USA Swimming coverage is only in effect if there is a USA Swimming certified coach supervising the practice.

I gather anecdotally that this is because the insurance provider is the same, and policies very similar, for USA-S, and USMS.
    Holy cow. I was trying to help you out with something you had questions about based on something that I had dealt with in the past. You obviously don't want help since you can't see that myself and others here are trying to give it to you and instead you are throwing in links and rules. Why you needed to quote the USA member swimming with USMS rule, I have no clue. I am a full member of a USA team and have been for 4 years now. I am also a USMS member and have been for 10 years now. Yes, dual membership. Do I need to give you a definition for that?! I know what the rule is for that since I was in charge of that aspect as the Vice President of my former USMS team before I moved. But I'm not the one on here asking questions, you were.

I'm done trying to answer yours since you obviously won't listen to what myself or anyone else has to say. You some how think you know it all and know everyone.

Blog Entries

I know, I don't feel like using it.

I'm surprized to see you know how to use quote at all. Someone must have just showed you.
    Nope, wrong again. Now, that is something you are good at being.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast