Thread: New to Forum (again)

Participating Member

New to Forum (again)

Hello again...I posted previously on the "other" forum. This one is probably the better one for this subject.

I've kind of run into a wall with my current workout. I've been swimming about 20 laps all freestyle straight through without any rests. That's it. It's getting kind of boring.

A little background to my previous swimming...I swam in HS about 30 years ago. Freestyle was the only stroke I swam. I can swim breast stroke and back, but freestyle is the one I use whenever I swim. I have swam off and on since then, but nothing competitive.

I enjoy swimming for the physical (and mental) workout, but I definitely feel the need to vary my workout. As it is now, I'm not looking forward to it like I used to. It's become more of a chore which isn't a good way to go about it.

My goal is to continue swimming to stay in shape without getting burned out. I'd even consider a Master program if it was in the PM hours versus the AM hours. Work from 7 - 4 so the morning workout is kind of limited.

Advice from others that have been though this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Sean

Blog Entries

Re: New to Forum (again)

I'll bet you ARE bored. Geez. Why not try to add in some intervals, drills, kick and/or pull sets? If you do 20 laps (I presume you are in a SCY pool) that means 1000 yards. Why not do 50 yds (one lap) free, and then 25 yds non-free (1/2 lap) a few times? Maybe you could race yourself against the clock, see how fast you can go for one lap, and then with only 10 seconds rest, do another one, only faster? You need to mix it up, my friend! Find a workout buddy, get on line here (at the USMS site) and find some variety!! Good for you, getting back into the pool!

Very Active Member

Good on ya for getting back in the water. There are a lot of resources here, the workout sets:

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95"]Workouts - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

are a good place to start, I'd suggest picking and choosing sets that fit what you want to do. If you're going for a triathlon, or going to try for a meet, you should be able to find something that works for you.

There is a lot of good information here on Ande's thread:

[ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=4229"]Ande's Swimming Tips: Swimming Faster Faster - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

I got back in the water about three years ago after about a 20 year walkabout. The team I swim with is a really nice group, and I've run into friends I haven't seen in many years at meets. I should have done this years ago...

Participating Member

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I think you hit the nail on the head with your advice about mixing it up. All freestyle all at once does make for a dull swim. I'll keep you posted....Thanks again!

Participating Member

Thanks to you also for your response. great links - much appreciated!

Blog Entries

Repeatedly doing 500 free non-stop is a sure road to madness! In addition to checking out the workouts here on the USMS site I really recommend Total Swimming by Janet Evans...she has good advice on strokes and drills and such and TONS of workouts in the back of the book. Take it out of the library to see if you like it - or check out Amazon for swim workout books. It's easy to stay interested if you have a lot of variety in your workouts.

Good luck and have fun! I used workouts from books for years before I discovered this site...now I have so much to choose from it's impossible to get bored....

Also - sign up for a meet or an open water swim event...it's much easier to stay motivated when you have a goal to shoot for.

Participating Member

Thanks for the response..great advice. I will check out that book.