Thread: Software for record keeping?

Participating Member

Question Software for record keeping?

Hello, my name is Kelly Hawk, and I'm a swimmer with the PMS Tsunami Master's team. Our team has grown from under 50 swimmers just a few years ago to around 200 active swimmers today. The growth has made managing the payment of dues and the tracking of "who's registered with USMS," among other things, daunting tasks.

I've been asked by a team board member to investigate what other teams use to manage team finances and records. I know there are several companies offering "custom" sports-related finance/attendance/performance-tracking products, and I've seen Quicken, QuickBooks and Excel. Can anyone share their experiences with me on what solutions their teams have found? I'd like to compare the pro's and con's of each solution, and make recommendations to our board.

Thanks, in advance, for any help you can offer.
    Sincerely,
    Kelly Hawk

I use a program at work (my work is non sports related) called Access. For me it is easier to use than Excel and files created using Access can be used by Excel if necessary. You can create queries that would select members who are behind on dues for example; you can link data bases, say one that has individual's times/records and one that shows the individual's attendence (this is a nice feature because it keeps any one data base from getting too large and can provide some level of privacy as personal information/money matters can be recorded in one and other swim related information in one or more data bases). The report feature is extremely easy to use--just drag the field you want, to the position you want it to appear on the page. I haven't had the need to do statistical analysis and I'm not sure if Access has that capability. I bet there is a way to enter formulas in fields though. However, you could always run the data using Excel. Access is so easy to us that I 'taught' myself how to create a data base and reports in one day... the help feature isn't that great though so the fact that I figured it out in one day speaks to the easy of use.

Kelly

I would suggest you check out Hy-Tek's Sports Business Manager. You can find a write-up at www.hy-tekltd.com, or through the USMS sponsors links at www.usms.org/links

Software

Catch up with Clay Evens at SCAQ he has a program that allows for credit card and online payments.

Participating Member Tim Hedrick's Avatar
    I second Rob's post about HyTek.

We just switched our club membership database and billing from a highly customized Access database to HyTek's Sports Business Manager.

It doesn't get much easier if that's all you are looking to do. Our club's treasurer is very pleased with the features available in Sports BM.

Their web site has a downloadable trial version.

Participating Member

Re: Software for record keeping?

You might try www.swim-team.us. It's free and while it's meant more for youth summer league it still may meet your needs. You can track your participants and collect dues in a number of ways and the site also has communication tools, online meet entry (fee applies), a place to post meet results and pictures and more. It works with Hy-Tek for roster, meet entries and results too.
    Rich Waldis
    Free Swim Team Web Sites for Everyone!!
    www.swim-team.us
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]