Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many *different* goggles do you use?

Very Active Member

How many *different* goggles do you use?

Goggles are hard to find that fit one's face. It will be interesting to know how many different goggles one uses. Maybe some are for lap swim, some are for open water, some are for race? Some people do seem to have a lot of goggles, from the "what is in your swim bag" thread, and I wonder if all those goggles are the same or different?

Very Active Member

Re: How many *different* goggles do you use?

I usually have three pairs of goggles in my swim bag.

One for pool workouts, usually clear or a ligt color.

One for open water, usually dark or mirrored. If it is a dark day I may use the clear goggles.

One for meets. This is usually a fairly new pair that I have 'broken in' and adjusted. I generally keep the strap a bit tighter on this pair .

I tend to find one brand and model that works and buy them when they are on sale.

I'm a dinosaur and still long for the days of Hind-Compy goggles. I haven't found a design since that I like as much. I'm constantly falling in & out of favor with 'new' designs.

I did got 'off the reservation' this year and tried a pair of Aqua Sphere tinted goggles for the open water season. I was happy with them in open water because they don't hurt my eye sockets. I don't like them as much for pool swimming because of the distortion.

Very Active Member

Is the Hind-Compy the same as Swedes? They look to me the same--some here.

I have another question: do you have the goggles sucked to your face for the entire length of time during your swim without even loosening them during rests?

One for practice & a god set for meets with a backup off another good set.

Very Active Member

I have one set... 10 year old swedes with a 6 year old bungee strap.

Very Active Member joel schmaltz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Swedes only for me. Two pair of practice goggles in my bag (blue and smoke). I have two pair for racing (blue and mirrored).

I will usually use a practice pair until the straps seem to melt away.

Blog Entries

Speedo vanquishers are the only kind I use, but I have several pairs. Nothing else will consistently stay on me during a dive. I like the look of swedes but I couldn't get them to not leak no matter how tightly I cranked them down. I must have an oddly shaped head.

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Due to the shape of my nose - and my personal preference - I only use the Socket Rockets. I have 3 pairs, one broken, one mirrored and one for practice.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

I have 1 pair that is used for practice, one that is used only for meets and then about 5 pairs that are older and are former practice goggles that I just haven't had the heart to throw away. All are women's vanquishers.

Very Active Member moodyrichardson's Avatar

I have 4 pairs. One clear for the indoor pool (both recs, where I swim are very dark), and two other tinted for my outdoor pool swims. All of these are the women's vanquishers. I must put LOTS of body heat out through my eyeballs, because I have a horrible time with fogging (even with anti fog wipes) I have one TYR women's backup pair.

Blog Entries

i've been wearing strictly amber swedes for 10-15 years. i haven't practiced outdoors in a long time, but it was smoke or mirrored swedes for that.

I've got a bunch of different colored goggles - but all are the same style (TYR Socket Rocket 2.0's). Unlike most folks, I seem to be the only one (posting, at least) who is using the same goggles in practice and races. I've had to change colors recently to get a better read on the digital clocks at our pool (some goggle lens colors don't work well with some display colors).

I like the soft coating around the edge of these goggles that makes the TYR version infinitely more comfortable than traditional sweedes - and provide a little better grip. Other than that, they're basically the same goggle as the traditional sweede. Lots of color options and easily customizable.

My experience with the fixed-width nosepiece goggles (ie speedo vanquishers) has not been good, and I always end up back with old faithful.

man up, buttercup!

Very Active Member

I take it that most people who use different goggles for race than for practice do so because the ones for race are not very comfortable? Or maybe it's like using drag suit?

Regarding the lens color, is there any advantage of amber over smoke color?

Blog Entries

I have 5 different pairs of goggles, across 3 different styles

• Speedo GCG Plus Mirrorized - Black/Gold
    • Speedo GCG Plus Mirrorized - Red
    • Speedo Speed Socket Mirrored -- 2 pairs
    • Some cheapo pair of Speedo goggles w/no mirroring

I generally keep 1 pair of Speed Sockets aside for meets and then rotate the others around. Once the meet pair is sufficiently used, it goes into practice rotation. I prefer the GCG Plus for open water as they are more comfortable for longer swims. I use the cheapo pair often for morning swims in the dark.

Very Active Member

Why not use comfortable goggles for all occasions, since the speed effect from the shape of the goggles is negligible?

Quote Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
    I've got a bunch of different colored goggles - but all are the same style (TYR Socket Rocket 2.0's). Unlike most folks, I seem to be the only one (posting, at least) who is using the same goggles in practice and races. I've had to change colors recently to get a better read on the digital clocks at our pool (some goggle lens colors don't work well with some display colors).

I like the soft coating around the edge of these goggles that makes the TYR version infinitely more comfortable than traditional sweedes - and provide a little better grip. Other than that, they're basically the same goggle as the traditional sweede. Lots of color options and easily customizable.

My experience with the fixed-width nosepiece goggles (ie speedo vanquishers) has not been good, and I always end up back with old faithful.

I actually use the same kind for practice and races. The only difference is the race ones have been used less so they fog up later and they are tighter. I hated having to adjust my goggles back to practice length so I just started using 2 pairs. But they all my goggles are the same kind. Even the same color most of the time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhc View Post
    Why not use comfortable goggles for all occasions, since the speed effect from the shape of the goggles is negligible?
    'Cause I don't notice the feel of the speed sockets on shorter races, but, mentally, they feel faster even though I know rationally they don't really influence speed from a physics perspective. The mental boost is worth it, though.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Three:
    Aqua Sphere Kayenne Lady clear goggles- I just received them from Swim Outlet and used them for the first time today. I LOVE these goggles; very comfortable and a great fit for a small, narrow face like mine. And, the clear lens are perfect for an indoor pool with no overhead lighting. Now I can see my stopwatch a lot better!

Tyr Tracer metallized (women's size)- for swim meets.

Tyr T-72 Petite Femme- These used to be my swim meet goggles, then my training goggles, when my first Aqua Sphere goggles finally broke after a lot of use. But, they aren't very comfortable, so I am keeping them as my swim meet backup goggles.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just one pair

Yes I use them for parctice and meets and I will tighten them for meets and then just leave them tight until the next meet when I may tighten them again. Somehow though I always seem to have enough strap left.

I do carry a spare pair just in case.
    30something and way too young for my times

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast