Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: According to new study Chlorinated pools may lead to cancer

Very Active Member

Re: According to new study Chlorinated pools may lead to can

There were a few threads on this topic on this forum in the past, some with good sources. Just search chlorine and cancer.

What I'd like to know is, what is it that prevents most pools from switching to ozone or UV? Is it much more expensive to maintain?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nhc View Post

What I'd like to know is, what is it that prevents most pools from switching to ozone or UV? Is it much more expensive to maintain?
    I don't know for sure, but I suspect that for most pools it is not the operating/maintenance costs, but the initial capital costs of changing systems. From what I've heard, a switch to ozone or UV requires a different filtration system, or at least some sort of significant retrofitting. In that case, a pool would either need to do some sort of fundraising or have substantial savings on the new maintenance costs to make the change financially viable.

However, my information is second hand. Does anyone know for sure? What sorts of changes are needed to go from chlorine to ozone or UV or otherwise?

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424 View Post
    Oh God! Die already!
    You just couldn't wait to use that Smilie, huh?

So, what's the verdict on saline pools? Chlorine is still used in saline pools, but much less, thankfully.... The indoor pool I swim in is saline and a LOT more pleasant than a standard chlorine pool. Hopefully, it's healthier, too.

But, doesn't it seem like everything cause cancer these days??? It seems like no matter how hard we try to control our diet, health habits, and environment, cancer finds its way...
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Chlorine is still used in saline pools, but much less, thankfully

I don't think Chlorine is used so much as it is created. Saline pools use NaCl and the Cl part of that compound produces chlorine gas when it's passed through an electric field. I don't know if it's correct to assume that saline pools should be an safer than traditional chlorine pools.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    But, doesn't it seem like everything cause cancer these days??? It seems like no matter how hard we try to control our diet, health habits, and environment, cancer finds its way...
    My point exactly.

BTW... there's far more people that have cancer that don't swim... Surely there's a link to lack of chlorine exposure.

Very Active Member

What's the old saying?

Eat well, Stay fit; Die anyways...

We are all going to die someday, you can't prevent death. Everyone born 150 years ago is 100% dead...I am so sick of cancer studies...even breathing can cause cancer but I don't think any of us are going to try and stop that activity...

I would rather love and live my life to the fullest and go "home" when it's my time...

Quote Originally Posted by BR KnuckleDragger View Post
    Everyone born 150 years ago is 100% dead.
    Then again, probably not everyone who is born today will be dead in 150 years. It can easily be possible that newborns can live a much longer life span than people live now.

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lui View Post
    Then again, probably not everyone who is born today will be dead in 150 years. It can easily be possible that newborns can live a much longer life span than people live now.
    Pretty difficult to argue this with you since you and I will be dead

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

I'm pretty sure that I saw that posting on internet forums can be deadly for your hea
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BR KnuckleDragger View Post
    What's the old saying?

Eat well, Stay fit; Die anyways...

We are all going to die someday, you can't prevent death. Everyone born 150 years ago is 100% dead...I am so sick of cancer studies...even breathing can cause cancer but I don't think any of us are going to try and stop that activity...

I would rather love and live my life to the fullest and go "home" when it's my time...

I gotta agree with you. It does seem that everytime one reads/hears the news there is something else causing cancer. We all probably know a person/people that have developed cancer that haven't been swimmers and that have been swimmers. I am not going to worry about the chemicals used in the pool, as long as the pool chemical are in balance.

I have been to my local pool where the chemicals have been way off before. I have taken one look at it and decided not to swim that day. If the pool is being maintained properly, then I am not going to be swimming, worrying if the chemicals might be harmful.

At somepoint, we all die. I don't see the point in worrying about every single thing that may or may not cause cancer.

Things that have happened such as a faulty Chlorinator.

My brother was asked to help open a swim pool in Maryland that used a gas chlorinator to treat their commercial pool. The chlorinator was faulty and he was gassed. He was rushed to the hospital, and survived. He sufferred with his lungs for several years. Chlorine can be dangerous if not used properly.
    Last edited by geochuck; September 15th, 2010 at 09:19 AM.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lui View Post
    Nope. See cellular senescence, organismal senescence.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lot of people seem to think this is a choice between two extremes:

-- worry about every little thing that is reported

-- ignore all of it and do what you want.

Unfortunately, the news media tends to overstate the results and scope of research articles, I guess try to inject more excitement or something (almost without exception, the source articles are far more restrained. And I guess boring to most). Although there are certainly individual papers that are particularly significant and groundbreaking, for the most part consensus on a topic (eg the health effects of chlorinated DBPs) accumulates gradually.

Instead of choosing between the two extremes, I would encourage anyeone to take everything with a grain of salt and just apply common sense. There really ARE synthetic chemicals out there that can cause health effects that can lower quality of life. Pay attention to information about the ones to which you would be exposed to at the highest concentrations and/or for the longest periods of time. Also avoid the ones that seem unnecessary, doing a sort of quick risk-benefit analysis (eg, do you REALLY need potentially harmful fire retardants on pillows?)

Blog Entries

I believe a study on the exposure of prolonged contact of hairspray runoff from noodle class can make a story with an equivalent degree of concern. Another easy report.

as I tried to explain earlier, the new study does not...and none prior to that....indicate that chlorination in pool water causes cancer

there is a small amount of medical literature suggesting that long term consumption of chlorinated drinking water may increase the risk for bladder cancer....but, a cause and effect relationship does not appear to be established

the media accounts recently that pool chlorination may cause cancer is exaggerated media fear mongering that pushes positive stories about us off the pages
    Last edited by makesense; September 15th, 2010 at 10:15 AM.

I have not seen a recent report on unchlorinated pools. Could this be more dangerous to health then chlorinated pools.

Another hazardous item is to drive on the wrong side of the road.
    Keep it simple George Park
    Swimsuit Sale http://www.swimdownhill.com/index.html

Very Active Member

Even the rich and famous are dying of cancer at young ages; which tells me that no amount of money or treatments thrown at fighting the disease will necessarily stop its progression.

My parents are true baby boomers; my dad has dealt with bouts of pancreatic and skin cancer already - and at least two of my uncles have had various cancers they have or are getting treated for.

Might I add that all three of these men live healthy active lifestyles (weight under control, non-smokers, healthy eaters). So tell me where the logic in the whole thing is?

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLOmmafan View Post
    Might I add that all three of these men live healthy active lifestyles (weight under control, non-smokers, healthy eaters). So tell me where the logic in the whole thing is?
    The logic is... enjoy every day you have.

ION pools are the best to swim in, no chlorine

Blog Entries

Any of these studies take into consideration the fact that along with adding chlorine...we also use sulfuric, muriatic and cyanuric acids in these pools?

From Wiki:
    Cyanuric acid is classified as "essentially nontoxic". The 50% oral median lethal dose (LD50) is 7700 mg/kg in rats.

However, when cyanuric acid is administered together with melamine (which by itself is another low-toxicity substance), they may form extremely insoluble crystals, leading to formation of kidney stones and potentially causing kidney failure and death -- as evidenced in dogs and cats during the 2007 pet food contamination and in children during the 2008 Chinese milk scandal cases.

Just wondering...I didn't see anything about these lethal chemicals in the studies...
    "Your body will go places your mind never thought it would go, as long as you are mentally tough enough to push it, drag it or carry it there." Tracy A. Burkholder

"If it is to be......it is up to me!" Author unknown.... got it off the wall at Westminster School in Atlanta.

Breaststroke - For the swimmer who finds the other strokes too easy!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast