Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Swim happy

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Swim happy

Quote Originally Posted by Skuj View Post
    I hadn't actually pushed a 400m since my first meet 3 weeks ago, where I swam 6:58 the very silly way. (Halves of 3:19/3:39.....ouch!!)

But today I swam an evenly paced 6:45. It was a great joy.

Way to go, Skuj! You are making excellent progress, and you have a great attitude. Keep it up!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Took a dip in the local pond yesterday, swam a few tiny circles, so cold! But I already want to try again.

Very Active Member

10:55.40! 🐟🐟🐟🐟

After returning to swimming after a three+ decade absence and joining masters in 2009, I was diligent about swimming 4 to 5 times each week. I was competing regularly in local meets and open water events and generally loving the Masters swim life. However, things began to unravel back in late 2015. Caring for an elderly parent full-time, moving 3 times in a year and half, retiring, unretiring, and finally retiring for good, really took its toll on me physically and emotionally. Allowing swimming to take a back seat for so long was something I thought would never happen, but trying to get back into swim shape and get into a consistent routine is a major (and painful) effort as I am sure some of you can attest.

I still cant believe that so much time transpired, but after 4 years of on-again off-again swimming, I am happy to say that for the past two months I have consistently swum 3 to 4 times each week!! This is huge for me and I cant begin to tell you how happy I am!! I still have a long way to go to be in the shape I was 4 years ago, but with each passing workout I am that much closer.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Very Active Member Kurt Dickson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    I am happy to say that for the past two months I have consistently swum 3 to 4 times each week!! This is huge for me and I cant begin to tell you how happy I am!! I still have a long way to go to be in the shape I was 4 years ago, but with each passing workout I am that much closer.
    Just lost a few parents last year. Tough work. Welcome back!

I was happy when I was traveling to Northern Europe last week, and had a chance to swim in water that's not hot (however it was a bit cold - still 5 - 7C (41 - 45F) there that I couldn't swim for more than half an hour - 12 - 15C (54F - 60F) is certainly better for me).

Now everything has been over and I've returned home, where the temperature now is 23C (73F).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miklcct View Post
    I was happy when I was traveling to Northern Europe last week, and had a chance to swim in water that's not hot (however it was a bit cold - still 5 - 7C (41 - 45F) there that I couldn't swim for more than half an hour - 12 - 15C (54F - 60F) is certainly better for me).

Now everything has been over and I've returned home, where the temperature now is 23C (73F).
    You *really* need to watch out with this cold water stuff.
    http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html

Very Active Member

debaru - good for you! It sounds like it's been a hard road for a while. Welcome back to the water.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPEnge View Post
    You *really* need to watch out with this cold water stuff.
    http://www.coldwatersafety.org/WhatIsCold.html
    Isnt it funny, the paradox of water entry? As a coach, you tell your swimmers around cold water, stop dipping your toes in. Just jump in and get going its much easier and less painful that way!

But the reality is once the water temp gets to, in my opinion, 60 F and below, you actually have to do the opposite. The colder the water gets from there, the SLOWER you need to get in, for safety reasons!

And for the record, I like my indoor pools at 79 and my outdoor pools at 76. But Ill swim in my clubs LCM unheated pool when it is above 60 F (Id love to beat my cold water record of 59, but the pool has never gotten that cold and been open!).

Very Active Member

I'm happy with my new 200m PR of 3:11 yesterday, and my new 800m PR of 13:56 today. (FS/SC).

(That 800m time is exactly 2x what I swam at my first meet for 400m on Apr 13th!!)
    M-50m, T-200m, W-800m, T-25m, F-100m, S-400m, S-1600m.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Dickson View Post
    Just lost a few parents last year. Tough work. Welcome back!
    Thanks, Kurt. My sincerest sympathies for your recent losses.

Quote Originally Posted by swim_badger View Post
    debaru - good for you! It sounds like it's been a hard road for a while. Welcome back to the water.
    Thanks, swim_badger. Its great to be back.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    This is huge for me and I cant begin to tell you how happy I am!! I still have a long way to go to be in the shape I was 4 years ago, but with each passing workout I am that much closer.

Welcome back, dear friend! Although we have stayed in touch during your swimming hiatus, it is so GREAT to have you back on the forums!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member

Tried out 800m - roughly a half mile - in the pool, with an goal of <20 minutes. Crept just under at 19m41s, not too bad for first try, and comparing it to last year's (Landshark race) results, nowhere near last. (I figure past results are a reasonable metric for comparison). Oof that last 150m or so... 😬 needs some tinkering.

Very Active Member

I'm happy with a new 400m PR of 6:43 today. (But it was a bitch!!)

Very Active Member

I'm very happy with my 34sec improvement in 1600m FS/SC today - 28:48. What makes me happiest about it is that this was not a SLOG. I started cautiously, and it felt very tempoey throughout. First half 14:33, second half 14:15.

(It may seem odd that I want to swim 1600m when 1500m is the official event. But my philosophy is, why stop at 1500m when 1600m (a Mile, essentially) beckons? I try to check my 1500m split on the way. (27:04 today.) I suppose I am OCD. We have 50m/100m/200m/400m/800m......and......WTF? 1500m? Why not 1600m?)

Blog Entries

Swam happy this weekend during a rare sunny day here in rainy Boston. Went to Revere Beach on Saturday evening. Water was colder than last Thursday (60F) at 56-58F, but I did get to swim. As usual, I got distracted at all the birds flying around and planes taking off out of Logan, so only got 0.6 mile done, but most importantly I got 36 minutes of cold water and salt water tolerance under my belt, which is my primary goal right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_60180826_325544621450303_3825278730595467264_n.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	406.7 KB 
ID:	11939
    --Mike Tyson (yes, my real name)

https://blogs.marathonswimmers.org/ironmike/

Blog Entries

My swim happy this weekend: swam 8100 LCM. Cranking up for a 4.5 mile swim in the Chattanooga River on June 1st, and things have been getting in my way to "get the distance in". Water was a cool 79 degrees (F) so I swam the first 3000 in about 46 minutes!! My arms started to get "numb" around 6000, and I persuaded myself that they were just "cold", not tired. #mindovermatter#

Very Active Member

While I'm back into swimming more regularly (a good 2x/week), Wednesday felt like kind of a bust. Got the yardage in, but the pool felt extra warm, like swimming in a bath. I don't want to chalk up my sloggy performance to mere heat intolerance - especially as the log book (I wasn't digging! It's right next to the pull buoys and kick boards) said the temp was 83F. That must be what it usually is, but it just felt different. (I prefer to assume it's just me having a hard time, and not blame any environmental cues.) I'll try again Friday or Monday for another 1/2 mile test run, and perhaps hit some open water over the weekend. The race is nearly here! I'm so excited.

Very Active Member

I'm happy with my new 100m PR - a smidgen under 1:28.

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930 LastLast