Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 682

Thread: Swim happy

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    606
    Blog Entries
    60

    Swim happy

    So we have a "swim rant" thread, but I wanted to post my "swim happy" moment today, probably brought on by being out of the water for over a week.

    Pool reopened after maintenance + clear, fresh perfect temp water + 6 lap lanes between 4 lap swimmers = 4200yd
    30something and way too young for my times

  2. #2
    Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Libertyville, IL
    Posts
    675
    Blog Entries
    33

    Re: Swim happy

    Last night I saw my first "stroke set" ever. In practice. Where the practice was actually devoted to strokes (rather than just tons of free style.) I felt like I was going to drown but I survived it! It was the greatest feeling ever!
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

  3. #3
    Very Active Member orca1946's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    schaumburg, il - U S A
    Posts
    7,783

    Re: Swim happy

    That is all we do in the 1st few weeks of the new season. One VERY UGLY set includes a kicking set with gym shoes on!!!

  4. #4
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,634

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424 View Post
    Last night I saw my first "stroke set" ever. In practice. Where the practice was actually devoted to strokes (rather than just tons of free style.) I felt like I was going to drown but I survived it! It was the greatest feeling ever!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  5. #5
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,634

    Re: Swim happy

    A little background for my greatest swim happy:

    As I have mentioned before (too many times, I know...), I had major shoulder surgery for TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome) and thought I would never be able to swim, kayak, or kayak surf again. My surgeon assured me that if all went well, I should be able to get back to swimming again. (I didn't even think about competing at that point...)

    The surgery was successful and I sent him a thank you note, soon after I left the hospital. But, recently, I decided to write to Dr. Braun again, letting him know I was not only swimming again; I was competing with USMS. I received a heartwarming reply, including these excerpts:

    "The fact that you are swimming 3000 yards is amazing to me. In the first place, I probably couldn't walk 3000 yards unless it was gently downhill.* In the second place, using your arms to propel yourself through water for a distance of over a mile is simply mind boggling to a TOS surgeon."

    "The ultimate goal of orthopaedic surgery is to allow someone to enjoy his or her life in a way that they wish to pursue it. You have been extremely successful and I share your success in knowing that we did the right thing, at the right time, to the right person."

    "Thank you again for your letter. I will keep it in the file which I never intend to relinquish because it means a lot more to me than the diplomas on the wall."

    *Dr. Braun is now 78 years old and was 71 when he operated on me! He was and is still known as one of the leading TOS surgeons in the country and the only one on the west coast who will take the risk of performing the surgery he performed on me.

    So, everything I have done in swimming since joining USMS is one big swim happy for me! And, receiving Dr. Braun's letter was (chocolate!) icing on the (chocolate!) cake!!


    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  6. #6
    Very Active Member swim4me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    376
    Blog Entries
    41

    Re: Swim happy

    Elaine's story is hard to beat, but for my own happy - I just got back from San Francisco and a swim from Alcatraz. Right after jumping off of the boat, I got caught in an East current and was swept way to far to the East and swam back on track after the support boat came to tell me I was too far out, then about 600 yards from the finish, my goggles broke and I could not fix them, so I swam back in with goggles in my hand and my eyes closed, only opening them to sight. My time was a minute or two faster than last year and I am sure I swam much further this time. And despite all that did not go quite right, my first thoughts of that swim are the feelings of being happy, out in the SF Bay (one of my favorite places in the world), and doing what I love most in the world to do!! (I am a failry new open water swimmer, but I LOVE to swim).
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

  7. #7
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,634

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by swim4me View Post
    And despite all that did not go quite right, my first thoughts of that swim are the feelings of being happy, out in the SF Bay (one of my favorite places in the world), and doing what I love most in the world to do!! (I am a failry new open water swimmer, but I LOVE to swim).
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  8. #8
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Fairfax, CA
    Posts
    4
    Blog Entries
    17

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    A little background for my greatest swim happy:

    As I have mentioned before (too many times, I know...), I had major shoulder surgery for TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome) and thought I would never be able to swim, kayak, or kayak surf again. My surgeon assured me that if all went well, I should be able to get back to swimming again. (I didn't even think about competing at that point...)

    The surgery was successful and I sent him a thank you note, soon after I left the hospital. But, recently, I decided to write to Dr. Braun again, letting him know I was not only swimming again; I was competing with USMS. I received a heartwarming reply, including these excerpts:

    "The fact that you are swimming 3000 yards is amazing to me. In the first place, I probably couldn't walk 3000 yards unless it was gently downhill.* In the second place, using your arms to propel yourself through water for a distance of over a mile is simply mind boggling to a TOS surgeon."

    "The ultimate goal of orthopaedic surgery is to allow someone to enjoy his or her life in a way that they wish to pursue it. You have been extremely successful and I share your success in knowing that we did the right thing, at the right time, to the right person."

    "Thank you again for your letter. I will keep it in the file which I never intend to relinquish because it means a lot more to me than the diplomas on the wall."

    *Dr. Braun is now 78 years old and was 71 when he operated on me! He was and is still known as one of the leading TOS surgeons in the country and the only one on the west coast who will take the risk of performing the surgery he performed on me.

    So, everything I have done in swimming since joining USMS is one big swim happy for me! And, receiving Dr. Braun's letter was (chocolate!) icing on the (chocolate!) cake!!

    awesome story!!!!!

  9. #9
    Very Active Member flystorms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    685
    Blog Entries
    295

    Re: Swim happy

    This is an awesome story and I love the doctor's response! I've been meaning to drop a note to my surgeon who worked on my shoulder a few years ago and this made me get off my butt and do it! Thank you.

  10. #10
    Participating Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    13

    Re: Swim happy

    Congrats Elaine!

  11. #11
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    195

    Re: Swim happy

    Today I seem to have bounced back from a recent bad patch. I'm happy with my new 50m PR of 36.5sec.
    Current PRs: 25m-:16.8/50m-:36.5/100m-1:21.0/200m-2:56.8/400m-6:15/800m-12:50/1600m-26:37.

    My main swimming goal: Sub6min 400m by the end of 2019.

  12. #12
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,634

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly View Post
    So we have a "swim rant" thread, but I wanted to post my "swim happy" moment today, probably brought on by being out of the water for over a week.

    Pool reopened after maintenance + clear, fresh perfect temp water + 6 lap lanes between 4 lap swimmers = 4200yd
    Way to go, 'Fly! I guess that means you're over your cold, too. Perhaps Michael's drink recipe helped?
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  13. #13
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    YONKERS,NY
    Posts
    83

    Smile Re: Swim happy

    Yonkers Masters Swimming has gotten the word that the pool we use - The Mark Twain Pool - is going to be reopened starting in November, 2010 Yeeeeeeehaw

  14. #14
    Very Active Member Celestial's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    497
    Blog Entries
    477

    Re: Swim happy

    I love having a drop dead race at the end of a set - just kinda "surprise! I'm gonna beat you to the wall!" and then we hit the wall laughing about fun that was! Makes my day!

  15. #15
    Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Libertyville, IL
    Posts
    675
    Blog Entries
    33

    Re: Swim happy

    Sunday was a rough swim for me... It had been a really long weekend of moving and I hadn't really had a good opportunity to eat a significant meal. So getting to practice and seeing (roughly) 4K on the board was pretty defeating. At the very end of practice we had 3x100 all out. I manged to break 1:30 on all of those in practice. I was very happy about that.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

  16. #16
    Very Active Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wingdale, NY
    Posts
    172

    Re: Swim happy

    I have to cheer for Mark Twian. Although when I went there there was no pool. The only pool in SE Yonkers was Tibbetts and that's outdoors.

  17. #17
    sǝssɐןb ɹǝʇʇǝq ʇǝb That Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    2,929
    Blog Entries
    156

    Re: Swim happy

    This morning, after a lousy bike ride to the gym fraught with rain, high wind, darkness, and debris in the bike lanes/shoulders, I walked into the lobby of my gym and saw a woman who I often swim with on her way out of the building. Our conversation went something like this:

    Her: "TG! I gotta warn you, the water's really cold in there!"
    Me: "That sounds good!"
    Her: "Well, ok, but you'll be the only one in there."
    Me: "Um... ok..."

    And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. I was able to swim fast without overheating. There was not a noodler in sight. I had my own lane for my whole workout. After that it was back to for the bike ride to work.

  18. #18
    aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,634

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. I was able to swim fast without overheating. There was not a noodler in sight. I had my own lane for my whole workout. After that it was back to for the bike ride to work.
    I am green with envy! Cool water AND no noodlers? In my dreams! But, your a cool guy, That Guy, so I'm happy for you.

    We had bad weather in our area (south of Atlanta), too, and I had to bail on my swim, due to horrible lightening. Our indoor pool has a metal roof and a lot of metal everywhere else, so I decided to get changed and hit the gym, instead...
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

    ~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

  19. #19
    Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chillicothe, Illinois
    Posts
    998

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    .....
    Her: "Well, ok, but you'll be the only one in there."
    Me: "Um... ok..."

    And for a while, I was the only one in the pool, which is normally around 85 degrees but was probably about 75 this morning. ...
    Awesome that you got a cool, placid pool... but one question...

    Does your facility allow only one person in the pool area?

    We are not supposed to swim alone at our facility (although many do) and it seems odd that with all the litigation about lightening storms they would leave themselves so open to a drowning accident.


  20. #20
    Very Active Member debaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Casa Grande, AZ
    Posts
    452

    Re: Swim happy

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbird Alum View Post
    Awesome that you got a cool, placid pool... but one question...

    Does your facility allow only one person in the pool area?

    We are not supposed to swim alone at our facility (although many do) and it seems odd that with all the litigation about lightening storms they would leave themselves so open to a drowning accident.
    I've often wondered the same thing regarding the pool at my gym. On any given day, I am usually alone in the pool for some portion of my workout. The facility has a security camera, but I wonder whether anyone is even looking at it. As far as I know, since no lifeguard is on duty you're expected to "swim at your own risk".

    But, since this is the "Swim Happy" thread, I'm going to close on a happier note. I'm going to be swimming with a Masters club starting on November 1, so no more solo pool days for me.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah and Happy New Year
    By 3strokes in forum NSR: Non Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: January 7th, 2010, 03:07 AM
  2. Trident Swim Foundation Olympic Happy Hour Fundraiser
    By edtsuzuki in forum Colonies Zone
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 6th, 2008, 12:23 PM
  3. Happy Fathers Day
    By geochuck in forum NSR: Non Swimming-Related Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
  4. Happy Holidays to all.
    By NKMD in forum Illinois
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 23rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
  5. Happy Holidays and a Happy Hew Year
    By NKMD in forum Illinois
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 27th, 2002, 12:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •