Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Swim happy

Re: Swim happy

[QUOTE=Bobinator;283076]
    Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post

While Doug Church is our spiritual leader, the inventor of the "Butternuts" concept is Mr. Dan Welkin! Dan is a bit of a nut himself and always completes the 500 Free at the state meet doing Butterfly!!!! BTW, the 500 is the last event of a 2 day meet. Dan regularly competes in the 50 / 100 / and 200 Fly plus 6 other events during the 2 day swim marathon, oh a ton of relays too!!!
    to Dan Welkin!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

[QUOTE=ElaineK;283081]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post

to Dan Welkin!
    For sure!

And regarding video.. I almost managed to get one of the other swim moms to get video for me during practice last week, but things got busy with it being the last week of practice. I will see if I can get my husband to do that for me since he has started swimming with me.

Yesterday the same gentleman was at the pool and he and my husband chatted again after swimming. He gave us some tips - mainly he said I need to work on finishing my stroke further back, citing that his age group coaches always tells learning kids that the palms of their hands should get sunburned. So I'm recovering a bit too early and missing out on some power. Which was kind of funny as I had just been telling my husband that he needs to work on finishing all his strokes better.

Anyhow, he actually said that if his tip works then I owe him some help with breast stroke. That made me laugh a little. My breaststroke has been quite terrible (got DQ'd in both my breaststroke races in Omaha last summer)... perhaps all the work I've been doing on fixing that has paid off.
    ~Megan

Very Active Member

My first swim happy...

Took my 9 y/o son to the pool this weekend. He is in his first 6 months of swim team and had progressed amazingly well over the last 2 months. He has done 2 meets so far and seen most of his times drop somewhat. Well this saturday while we were in the pool swimming he busted out a sub 40 50y fr and sub 2:00 100y IM. Now those times are great but considering he didn't go off blocks nor did he flip turn I'm impressed. He has dropped 10 sec from his fr and 10 from his IM since the beginning of the year. Even more remarkable is my son is high functioning Autistic and is an animal when it comes to training. He got on me because I was taking too much break time and I wasn't doing the strokes that he prescribed for us to do on the set... I think he'll make a great coach.

I'm excited to swim in my first meet in 26 years this coming Sunday and show him what I can do!

That's awesome, sok! How cool is that? You and your son make a great team. Good luck on Sunday!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
    My first swim happy...

Took my 9 y/o son to the pool this weekend. He is in his first 6 months of swim team and had progressed amazingly well over the last 2 months. He has done 2 meets so far and seen most of his times drop somewhat. Well this saturday while we were in the pool swimming he busted out a sub 40 50y fr and sub 2:00 100y IM. Now those times are great but considering he didn't go off blocks nor did he flip turn I'm impressed. He has dropped 10 sec from his fr and 10 from his IM since the beginning of the year. Even more remarkable is my son is high functioning Autistic and is an animal when it comes to training. He got on me because I was taking too much break time and I wasn't doing the strokes that he prescribed for us to do on the set... I think he'll make a great coach.

I'm excited to swim in my first meet in 26 years this coming Sunday and show him what I can do!
    That's fantastic! Watching our kids learn and improve is so awesome. My kids all swam in their fall/winter conference meet this past weekend and had a lot of great swims and lots of dropped times. My 11yo dropped quite a bit on both his IM and 100fr and we are all super proud.

Sounds like your boy is doing great! Good luck on your meet.
    ~Megan

After 4 days in Denver, Colorado, I am back at sea level. My swim happy was (a) being able to breathe - the air felt so thick - and (b) averaging 1:12 for 10 x 100 on 2:00 best average. One of them was a 1:10 which is the fastest non-race split I've had in a pool for awhile.

35 mile bike then 4500 yd swim including 10 x 100 on 1:25, 10 x 100 on 1:20. Psyched to swim so well after a bike ride!

I actually helped a guy with (gasp!) breaststroke today! Whowouldathunk?

To give credit where it's due, this particular 50-something guy is receptive, listens well, is open to suggestions, and though he's a relatively new swimmer, surprisingly capable of translating verbal advice into real changes in his stroke. He's improved all his strokes over the last few months, including butterfly, which he's never swum before.

Today I noticed he wasn't hitting base position between his strokes. So I explained to him what it was, and why it was important, and swam a 50 to demonstrate. Then I went off to swim my next set. Fifteen minutes later, I saw him practicing, and he was hitting it beautifully. His stroke count had gone from 12 spl to 7-8 spl in a matter of minutes. I was delighted!

Back is faster than Fly poolraat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The 10th Annual Elko Triathlon was today. And for the 10th time I did the swim. This year I also did the bike then teamed up with my brother for the run. I tied my fastest time for the swim (set last year) and was first to finish the swim in the 18+ division and was 3rd off the bike. Then let my brother take over to finish the race. We ended up first in the team catagory and were 2nd overall! Not too shabby for a couple of old guys!
    I have entered the snapdragon stage of my life (Part of me has snapped and the rest of me is draggin ).

As a follow up to this ( http://forums.usms.org/showthread.ph...l=1#post282393), I witnessed my swim student reach her goal of being able to swim a straight 25 yard freestyle without a snorkel. She did it after our lesson was over, while I was packing up my gear. I looked up to see her going... and going... and going. I figured Gail would stop at any moment before reaching the wall, but, she persevered and made it! And, that was after she swam her first 50 yard backstroke- and, then, did it two more times!

My swim happy is making a set of 20 x 100 on 1:20 today (scy) at the end of a 6k workout

Quote Originally Posted by tigerchik View Post
    My swim happy is making a set of 20 x 100 on 1:20 today (scy) at the end of a 6k workout
    That's awesome! I had to do the same set the other day on 1:45, holding 1:34's on average. But, at 51, I am guessing I'm about twice your age.

That's awesome! I had to do the same set the other day on 1:45, holding 1:34's on average. But, at 51, I am guessing I'm about twice your age.
    at that pace, you're still kicking my butt, E! and I'm 33. I doubt I'll ever be able to achieve a pace like that - especially after a 6k workout! So GOOD JOB, ladies!
    ~Megan

I'm 25... will be 26 on April 3. My mom would say "26 going on 6"

Very Active Member

Just so I understand this... You swam a 100y say starting at 00:00. You finished say at 01:15 and started back at 01:20 so had 5 sec of break between? And maintained this for 20 reps??? holy cow! That is awesome.

I'm 25... will be 26 on April 3. My mom would say "26 going on 6"

Well, then, I did guess right; I'm twice your age!

Very Active Member

Well last night I feel like I made a break thru on my FR. Last night was the first time since I've started training that I have actually felt "fast" in the water and that I was in sync with my kick and my arms. I did a nice warm up of 100 fr, 100 br, 50 flutter, 50 breast kick, 50 dolphin, another 100 fr and then started in to some sets of sprints. I did 2x75 as a work up and to get my lungs going. I then did a 4x50 fr each one progressively faster with about 45 seconds of break in between. I then did a 2x25 br's just to mix things up a bit. The main part of my work were 25y fr repeats though. I started out doing 4x25 @45, then 2x25 @ 40, then 2x25@35, then 2x25@30 and finally 2x25@25. Just using a wall push and no SDK (i really need to work on it as I feel like the couple of times I did it I was slower) I was easily under :15 for each rep and in the last couple of sets I was in the 13's. The thing is I felt like I was actually on top of the water and swimming "downhill". I felt like I had another gear I finally found... and still had a little bit more that is coming. After the last 25's I just did a few more fast 25's a more rest and felt stronger at the end of the workout then I ever have. In the last week I have focused on breathing 1x on the first 25 and I feel like I am maybe 2-3 weeks from taking no breaths in the first 25. I no longer feel like I'm going to panic and start gasping for air!! Was a great feeling!
    My goal for next week is to get in the pool at least 4x's and start doing some 75's and 62.5's and 50's at 80-90% to really make the 50 feel easy!!!
    Come on state!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sok454 View Post
    Well last night I feel like I made a break thru on my FR. Last night was the first time since I've started training that I have actually felt "fast" in the water and that I was in sync with my kick and my arms.

Isn't that an awesome feeling? I remember not having a clue when my coach would talk about "having a feel for the water". What exactly did he mean by that? When it happens, you KNOW it; things just click.

I;m having a good last 8 weeks to the season - I finished a set of 2 x 400 IM ---- 2 x 200 IM --- 2 x 100 IM after 2000warmup & drills .
    It was not toooo bad to get it over with. I did slow down in my worst stroke - breast- but I knew that would happen.
    I was happy about doing this set!

Blog Entries

Isn't that an awesome feeling? I remember not having a clue when my coach would talk about "having a feel for the water". What exactly did he mean by that? When it happens, you KNOW it; things just click.
    Must be something in the air (water? cyberspace?) today. I am hitting a stride in my training -- went 14.5 in 18 strokes during my sprints today. I have never gone under 15 in fewer than 20 strokes before. Almost felt like my legs were out of the water.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast