Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Swim happy

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Re: Swim happy

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    That's awesome! Which meet was that? I wonder how I missed something so close to home.
    Thanks, jethro! It was the Spring Splash meet at Georgia Tech, in April.
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    My swim happy for the day comes on a day when I didn't even swim; I took the day off after training 7 days in a row.

Instead, I worked, today, with my swim "student"; my volunteer project, teaching a 66 year old gal how to swim. Gail had practiced quite a bit while I was away on vacation. And, today, she announced that, while I was away, she swam 300 yards of backstroke, non-stop, killing her previous record. AND, she is now consistently hacking off 5 strokes off her 25 yard stroke count that she was swimming when I last worked with her!

Gail is definitely ready for the 100 freestyle (as backstroke) at her second Geezer Games!
    Today, Gail tried out her 100 backstrokel; these were her splits: :56, 1:03, 1:03, 1:05. Her stroke count was 40 41, 43, 41; a nice drop at the end!

For not knowing how to swim one year ago, I was so proud of her today!

But, check THIS out. I had a goal challenge I gave her last week, when she was hitting her 50 backstroke in 2:10 (2:07 was her best) and a stroke count of 44 on each length: Aim for a stroke count of under 40 and a time of less than 2:00. Today, she amazed me with a 1:53 50 yard backstroke and a stroke count of 37 and 35; less on the second length. She shattered the goal!

I am so proud of her! Here she is:
    BORKED

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

BORKED
    Her stroke looks pretty smooth. I think she will keep improving quickly.

Congratulations to Swimosaur for winning 4 silver medals at National Senior Olympics, in Cleveland!

My swim happy ...

The Awesomeness of pdjang!

Last weekend I had the pleasure of competing in the Senior Games National Championships, in Cleveland. While not strictly a USMS event, the times do count for USMS Top Ten, and it attracts a lot of USMS swimmers. It was a great meet!

But I have to confess, the greatest part of the meet was getting to hang out with our fellow forumite, the totally awesome pdjang. He's a stunningly talented swimmer, an exceptionally wonderful gentleman, friendly, accessible ... and just all-around awesome. Kind of like the James Bond of masters swimming. You know what I'm saying?

Here he is with a certain well-known, smoking-hot, drop-dead gorgeous USMS swimmer lady. The guy is so awesome, he hangs out with all the most attractive girls!

He's everywhere! Walking around on some random street in Cleveland, and there he is, on a poster!

In the Athlete's Village, inside the Cleveland Convention Center. There he is again! How awesome is that? The guy populates the entire city of Cleveland, all by himself!

And there he is again! On top of the medals stand, where he stood so many times last weekend! This particular shot was after the 200 back, me with silver, pdjang -- of course -- with gold. I took the silver to his gold THREE TIMES in this one meet! Awesome!

But wait a minute! Can you see what I'm holding in my left hand? Too small to see, you say?

Ok ... ZoomHANCE ... !!!

That guy is a cute little dinosaur ... excuse me, a SWIMOSAUR ... given to me by Mr. Awesome himself, pdjang! No kidding! What a guy!

My swim happy today: The awesomely great people you meet and befriend in masters swimming, including and especially, pdjang!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5-1.JPG 
Views:	560 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	7800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2-3.5W.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	7797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3-3.5H.jpg 
Views:	564 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	7798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4-4.5H.JPG 
Views:	561 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	7799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1-4.0H.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	7801  

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    My swim happy ...

That guy is a cute little dinosaur ... excuse me, a SWIMOSAUR ... given to me by Mr. Awesome himself, pdjang! No kidding! What a guy!

My swim happy today: The awesomely great people you meet and befriend in masters swimming, including and especially, pdjang!
    Your very own SWIMOSAUR! Pdjang, you rock! Swimosaur, that is your new good luck charm. Now you have to take it with you to all your meets.

I noticed in the results that you guys were 1-2 in those three races. How cool to be beaten by somebody you like and respect.

I'm glad you guys had such a great time at the meet. I plan on going in 2015 and hope to see you both there!

Congratulations to both of you!!!

Blog Entries

Heavenly Days Swim0saurus! Thank you very much for posting those photos. You are very kind for saying all of those things - and embarrassing the daylights out of me. But thank you again.

The young lady that you reference is none other than Linda Larson (the face of USMS - who has graced the USMS website's home page. We swam together in college and reunited again via masters swimming - what's even cooler is that her brother - Allen (A.J.) is also swimming and both of them have the competitive fire - it's cool to hang around them. Linda swims for Ft Lauderdale (SFTL) for a great masters coach - Marty Hendricks; and AJ swims for the infamous "Shake and Bake" Dennis Baker in Portland. Both of them will be in Mission Viejo for LCMNATS.

It was great meeting you and your son in real life. You are a very bright and talented person who has accomplished a lot in life - swimming is merely an extension of one's personality. What really impressed me is the fact that you are an amazing dad and are doing a fantastic job raising a very bright son who will accomplish a lot with his life - and that's what's really important.

I know you will enjoy that Velocity-raptor - you're a speedy swimosaur!

Namaste,
    Philipp

Quote Originally Posted by Swimosaur View Post
    My swim happy ...

Last weekend I had the pleasure of competing in the Senior Games National Championships, in Cleveland. While not strictly a USMS event, the times do count for USMS Top Ten, and it attracts a lot of USMS swimmers. It was a great meet!

But I have to confess, the greatest part of the meet was getting to hang out with our fellow forumite, the totally awesome pdjang. He's a stunningly talented swimmer, an exceptionally wonderful gentleman, friendly, accessible ... and just all-around awesome. Kind of like the James Bond of masters swimming. You know what I'm saying?

Here he is with a certain well-known, smoking-hot, drop-dead gorgeous USMS swimmer lady. The guy is so awesome, he hangs out with all the most attractive girls!

He's everywhere! Walking around on some random street in Cleveland, and there he is, on a poster!

In the Athlete's Village, inside the Cleveland Convention Center. There he is again! How awesome is that? The guy populates the entire city of Cleveland, all by himself!

And there he is again! On top of the medals stand, where he stood so many times last weekend! This particular shot was after the 200 back, me with silver, pdjang -- of course -- with gold. I took the silver to his gold THREE TIMES in this one meet! Awesome!

But wait a minute! Can you see what I'm holding in my left hand? Too small to see, you say?

Ok ... ZoomHANCE ... !!!

Philipp A. Djang, Ph.D.
    New Mexico Masters Swimming
    Webmaster and Sanctions Officer
    http://sites.google.com/site/newmexi...sswimming/home

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

A little background for my greatest swim happy:

As I have mentioned before (too many times, I know...), I had major shoulder surgery for TOS (Thoracic Outlet Syndrome) and thought I would never be able to swim, kayak, or kayak surf again. My surgeon assured me that if all went well, I should be able to get back to swimming again. (I didn't even think about competing at that point...)

The surgery was successful and I sent him a thank you note, soon after I left the hospital. But, recently, I decided to write to Dr. Braun again, letting him know I was not only swimming again; I was competing with USMS. I received a heartwarming reply, including these excerpts:

"The fact that you are swimming 3000 yards is amazing to me. In the first place, I probably couldn't walk 3000 yards unless it was gently downhill.* In the second place, using your arms to propel yourself through water for a distance of over a mile is simply mind boggling to a TOS surgeon."

"The ultimate goal of orthopaedic surgery is to allow someone to enjoy his or her life in a way that they wish to pursue it. You have been extremely successful and I share your success in knowing that we did the right thing, at the right time, to the right person."

"Thank you again for your letter. I will keep it in the file which I never intend to relinquish because it means a lot more to me than the diplomas on the wall."

*Dr. Braun is now 78 years old and was 71 when he operated on me! He was and is still known as one of the leading TOS surgeons in the country and the only one on the west coast who will take the risk of performing the surgery he performed on me.

So, everything I have done in swimming since joining USMS is one big swim happy for me! And, receiving Dr. Braun's letter was (chocolate!) icing on the (chocolate!) cake!!

awesome story!!!!!

Blog Entries

This is an awesome story and I love the doctor's response! I've been meaning to drop a note to my surgeon who worked on my shoulder a few years ago and this made me get off my butt and do it! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaL View Post
    awesome story!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by flystorms View Post
    This is an awesome story and I love the doctor's response! I've been meaning to drop a note to my surgeon who worked on my shoulder a few years ago and this made me get off my butt and do it! Thank you.

Thank you very much, BrendaL and flystorms!

Brenda, you dug that up from awhile back, but I thank you for doing so. I am on my way to Nationals, tomorrow, feeling a bit down that I am swimming nowhere near my NQT's. Due to a variety of physical/mechanical (not illness) issues, it has been a difficult year for me and my training. It has been one step forward and two steps back, rather than the other way around.

Re-reading my post is making me put it all in perspective and remember that I should feel lucky to get to go to Nationals and swim in the first place! Even if I may not be able to "race" my events, just being able to make the attempt will be awesome.

I am happy to hear my story inspired you, flystorms. You will make your surgeon's day, I am sure!

I'm like a Timex watch; I take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Having a left leg 1/2" longer than the right and a tilted pelvis throws the entire body out of proper alignment, causing many of the injuries I have experienced. Couple that with inheriting a whole host of ugglies from my father, including severe degenerative disk and joint disease, I'm an accident waiting to happen.

Just as I was finally getting my injuries healed and having great results from trigger point dry needling physical therapy and foam roller massage, I showed up to Nationals with what I thought was a mildly strained QL or bruised rib (cause unknown). Swimming made it feel better, however, I think I jammed my leg and hip on a misstep on the uneven terrain in the tent city behind the bleachers. On Friday night, I had severe muscle spasms and was up all night. So, I went to the massage tent, prior to my 400 IM.

As it turns out, my 1/2" longer left leg now appeared to be 11/2" longer (according to Chuck), due to the muscle spasms on my right side! Chuck, the head therapist, said I had a subluxation (dislocation) of my last rib which is a floating rib. The rib was pressing on my kidney, causing the pain. So, he did what he could to get the spasms under control, however, he wasn't qualified to get the rib set back in place. He said to return on Sunday to see Dr. Mike.

Unfortunately, Dr. Mike didn't arrive until I was just about to swim my 200 fly, so I had to see him after my race to get my rib set. As it turned out, I ended up racing my 400 IM, 200 breaststroke, and 200 fly with a dislocated rib poking my kidney on every stroke.

Swim happy: I completed all of my races successfully- very slowly , but successfully without a DQ. I ended up 9th out of 12 in 200 breaststroke, winning my first individual Nationals medal. And, I came in 4th out of 5 (the 5th DQ'd) in 200 fly, for another medal. My time was 1:13 slower than at Greenville and much slower than my 2,000 yard butterfly pace, but I did it!

I'm like a Timex watch; I take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Having a left leg 1/2" longer than the right and a tilted pelvis throws the entire body out of proper alignment, causing many of the injuries I have experienced. Couple that with inheriting a whole host of ugglies from my father, including severe degenerative disk and joint disease, I'm an accident waiting to happen.

Just as I was finally getting my injuries healed and having great results from trigger point dry needling physical therapy and foam roller massage, I showed up to Nationals with what I thought was a mildly strained QL or bruised rib (cause unknown). Swimming made it feel better, however, I think I jammed my leg and hip on a misstep on the uneven terrain in the tent city behind the bleachers. On Friday night, I had severe muscle spasms and was up all night. So, I went to the massage tent, prior to my 400 IM.

As it turns out, my 1/2" longer left leg now appeared to be 11/2" longer (according to Chuck), due to the muscle spasms on my right side! Chuck, the head therapist, said I had a subluxation (dislocation) of my last rib which is a floating rib. The rib was pressing on my kidney, causing the pain. So, he did what he could to get the spasms under control, however, he wasn't qualified to get the rib set back in place. He said to return on Sunday to see Dr. Mike.

Unfortunately, Dr. Mike didn't arrive until I was just about to swim my 200 fly, so I had to see him after my race to get my rib set. As it turned out, I ended up racing my 400 IM, 200 breaststroke, and 200 fly with a dislocated rib poking my kidney on every stroke.

Swim happy: I completed all of my races successfully- very slowly , but successfully without a DQ. I ended up 9th out of 12 in 200 breaststroke, winning my first individual Nationals medal. And, I came in 4th out of 5 (the 5th DQ'd) in 200 fly, for another medal. My time was 1:13 slower than at Greenville and much slower than my 2,000 yard butterfly pace, but I did it!
    Good job .In my opinion any 200 fly or 400 IM you can walk away from is a success.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    Good job .In my opinion any 200 fly or 400 IM you can walk away from is a success.
    Thanks, King Frog!

I took three days off following the 200 fly to let the inflammation from my dislocated rib settle down. I was very happy to get back to the pool, here in Long Beach, where I am visiting my mom; a swim happy, for sure!

Bruce and I missed you and Seal Girl at Nationals. Hopefully, we'll catch up with you at Worlds and/or Maryland!

On Thurs the Orthopedist said I could start doing pulls if I eased into it.On Fri I did some fist swimming breaststroke and was OK today so .
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    On Thurs the Orthopedist said I could start doing pulls if I eased into it.On Fri I did some fist swimming breaststroke and was OK today so .
    Cheers to you, King Frog! I'll bet your frogs legs are rarin' to go full breaststroke ahead!

Blog Entries

There are persons who have swum double than what I have swum. I feel good about completing this last evening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	7968

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post
    There are persons who have swum double than what I have swum. I feel good about completing this last evening.

Awesome!
    "Librarians are hiding something." - Stephen Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Sive View Post

500 miles? AMAZING! I wish my body could handle that much, but I'm happy with the 352 I have swum through yesterday. Keep up the great swimming!

My latest swim happy came out of the blue, when Swimspire contacted me for an interview:
    http://elaineiakstravels.wordpress.com/2013/10/19/from-interviewer-to-interviewee/

Blog Entries

Happiness is realizing you dropped another 2 seconds off your average 100 since the spring! Dropped right at 10 seconds since I started swimming with my Master's team a year ago. This is awesome! Love my coach and Team.
    "If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to meet it." - Jonathan Winters, actor and comedian

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast