Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Swim happy

Blog Entries

Re: Swim happy

Got to swim at lunch again today with my old group!! Woo hoo! It's amazing how slow I've gotten training on my own at 5:30 in the morning tho. . .

Blog Entries

Same story today: cold pool (colder than yesterday), very few people in it. There was a brief power outage while I was warming up. There was just enough natural light coming in that visibility wasn't a problem, so I just kept swimming. Later when I was leaving, the noodler herder was getting set up for today's class. She leads the class clothed and on the pool deck, so she probably had no idea the water was cold. None of the noodlers had arrived yet... I didn't stay around long enough to hear their screams...

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    She leads the class clothed and on the pool deck, so she probably had no idea the water was cold. None of the noodlers had arrived yet... I didn't stay around long enough to hear their screams...
    I can only imagine what that scene must have been like when they finally did put a toe in the water! At our pool, the noodlers whine on a daily basis about the water temperature- and it's 84!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think I found Ande's, or rather my "sweet spot" on SDK-ing out of a turn..... just the once mind on length 7-8 of a 500 swim...... but there it was , only 3 SDks, keeping the momentum up and a smooth transition into the stroke. Now the challenge is to do that off every turn!
    30something and way too young for my times

Blog Entries

The other day I took a breath right off my flip turn, and it felt weird. That was the moment I realized that I've finally become accustomed to the pattern of flip, streamline, two strokes, breath.

(please don't tell me it's time to work on three strokes now!)

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212 View Post
    The other day I took a breath right off my flip turn, and it felt weird. That was the moment I realized that I've finally become accustomed to the pattern of flip, streamline, two strokes, breath.

I was thinking 5! :-D
    "Fran operated under the assumption that one’s ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to one’s willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swimmerb212 View Post

Well I have got up to 4 in warm up when I really concentrate on my stroke. This was in the middle of a pyramid swim, where I was doing a good pace, but not all-out. I need to work on the best time to breathe before the turn as well!
    30something and way too young for my times

I just posted today's workout and hit my Go the Distance goal of 420,000 yards for the year! I wasn't sure my shoulders would hold up, because of my past surgery, but they did!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

I posted a swim rant yesterday and have a swim happy today.My 50 M BR today was faster than my best "shiny suit" time.
    "To strive,to seek,to find,and not to yield" Tennyson
    Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Stark View Post
    I posted a swim rant yesterday and have a swim happy today.My 50 M BR today was faster than my best "shiny suit" time.
    Way to go, Frog!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Went to workout at noon today - the water was warm and the chlorine was bad.

It was still great. I feel so much better now than 7 years ago when I returned to swimming.

Very Active Member

I have to cheer for Mark Twian. Although when I went there there was no pool. The only pool in SE Yonkers was Tibbetts and that's outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    I just posted today's workout and hit my Go the Distance goal of 420,000 yards for the year! I wasn't sure my shoulders would hold up, because of my past surgery, but they did!
    Congrats, Elaine!
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

My SO and I spent Thanksgiving week at a spa, she worked out constantly in the gym, I was in the water non-stop. One little old woman who was spending the week commented at our communal dinner "I've never seen someone so happy in the water as you, you smile all the time". I told her I'm happier in water than I am on land... every swim is a happy swim.

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    Congrats, Elaine!
    Thanks, Deb!

Very Active Member Redbird Alum's Avatar

Last night after coaching and before my own workout, I was cleaning up the pool deck and had a chance discussion with the guard on duty. I learned that she was the sole swimmer at the local high school, and she learned that I was the anonymous "swimming booster" who kept the local high school web site current on the co-op swim team schedules (boys & girls). The local HS has to co-op with another, as it has no pool, coach or team.

The "happy" part? Four years ago I wrote a profile piece in the local paper when the then sole female swimmer was a senior. Turns out the current sole swimmer was in sixth grade, read the piece and was really impressed that a swimmer was profiled in our small-town paper. It encouraged her and her parents to opt for the co-op swimming when she got to high school!

Sometimes we unwittingly extend our sport just by doing what we do, without knowing the impact we have.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeepLiquid View Post
    My SO and I spent Thanksgiving week at a spa, she worked out constantly in the gym, I was in the water non-stop. One little old woman who was spending the week commented at our communal dinner "I've never seen someone so happy in the water as you, you smile all the time". I told her I'm happier in water than I am on land... every swim is a happy swim.
    I wish there was a 'like' button sometimes!!!
    If you want a place in the sun, you have to put up with a few blisters. Abigail Van Buren

My evening workout turned out to be way more fun than I had expected. We had a small turnout due to the upcoming holidays and the fact that it was raining, so our coach decided to let us have some fun.

We did the "Tour de Mona" as he called it (I swim at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center at ASU), which equated to swimming up and down each 25 yard lane of the main pool, followed by the warm-up pool. After finishing off the pools, the next part of the tour involved diving off of each diving board in the diving well, and for those with the nerve, the "piece de resistance" was jumping off the 10 meter platform (I jumped from the 5 meter platform, which seemed like a mile off the water).

After all of that fun and frivolity, we ended our "workout" by playing 4 games of Sharks and Minnows. I haven't done anything like this since I was in high school.

Oh, and by the way, our coach did all of this with us. In fact, he was the lead Shark! Talk about swimming happy! I felt like a kid again!
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    Talk about swimming happy! I felt like a kid again!
    That sounds like a hoot! I'm happy you found a good "home" with your new team, Deb. That is definitely something I am missing out on, swimming alone. (But, the convenience factor and super-short distance to the pool is a huge positive, for me! )

Happy new year!

Fun is why we all swim ! I'm glad to hear of the games you all played!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast