Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Swim happy

Re: Swim happy

I failed to mention in my post that our coach was the first person to jump off the 10 meter platform after completing the "swim tour".
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    That sounds like a hoot! I'm happy you found a good "home" with your new team, Deb. That is definitely something I am missing out on, swimming alone. (But, the convenience factor and super-short distance to the pool is a huge positive, for me! )

Happy new year!
    I hear you. On the days that I have to travel from home to swim, the 21 mile trip one-way causes me to miss my short 5-mile trip to the gym where I used to swim. But, when I'm done with my workout, I'm always glad I made the drive.

Maybe when you're out here for Nationals in the Spring, and if you have the time, you could join me at my club for a workout. We'd love to have you.

And, Happy New Year to you and yours!

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by debaru View Post
    I hear you. On the days that I have to travel from home to swim, the 21 mile trip one-way causes me to miss my short 5-mile trip to the gym where I used to swim. But, when I'm done with my workout, I'm always glad I made the drive.

Maybe when you're out here for Nationals in the Spring, and if you have the time, you could join me at my club for a workout. We'd love to have you.

And, Happy New Year to you and yours!
    That sounds great- thanks! Hey, great Smiley for the New Year!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well last time I was in the pool was with my 6 yo, so I hardly did anything....but we timed each other for fun and I managed a 50 fr kick in 48, a 50 free in 32 and 100 free in 1.09 all from a push. So watch out 1.00 here I come .

She did 25 kick (breast - because "you said fast Mummy" - although it defeats the purpose of the exercise) in 31 and 25 free in 29 (but snaked up the pool not concentrating) then complained of being cold, but wouldn't do any more lengths. And she was the one wanting to come swimming with me. Ah well, we'll both be well rested for our Jan meet! - Sorry should probably put that last bit in the rant thread.
    30something and way too young for my times

I'm ending my first full year back swimming on a very happy note.

Since I joined a Masters group, I ended my membership with my local gym where I spent most of my year swimming. On January 1, I will no longer be a member, so I decided to swim there one last time this morning.

On my very first lap, I found a gold necklace on the bottom of the pool. This wasn't just some costume jewelry, but a really nice quality gold necklace with a multiple diamond pendant. Having lost jewelry of my own that I never got back, I put it on top of my sandals, and planned on turning it in at the front desk.

About 3/4 of the way through my workout, I saw a gym employee walking around the pool looking for something. I waved him over and told him I had found a necklace earlier, and asked if was he looking for it. To my delight he was, and I was able to see the necklace reunited with its rightful owner.

Good on ya, Debbie!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Good on ya, Debbie!
    Thanks, Elaine! I'm hoping this is a good omen and that some Karma (of the good kind) will come my way for 2011.

Very Active Member

Been back in the pool one year this week. Lost 20 lbs with no changes to diet. I still gorge on cheeseburgers, pizza, taco bell, and chinese buffets. I gained a lot of endurance conditioning back, and the race speeds have come a long way in one year.

Yesterday I held a set of 400 SCM swims on 6:00 with about 15-20 sec rest each. Last week I did a 85-90% effort 500m well under 7:00, and my practice pushoff 100m sprints are right in the 1:00 flat area depending on the day. All this done working out alone, making up my own sets, at the Y on my lunch hour 2-3 times a week (2000-2500 per session).

I wanted to post the swim happy though, because I can't believe how swimming on my own has rejuvenated my interest for the sport. I like it more now than I ever did back in HS and college under a coach. Hopefully 2011 keeps the interest and the increases coming.

This [holiday] week the age groupers have their practices earlier so when our Masters practice ends, there are no kids running around the lockerrooms screaming, shrieking, hogging the showers and having shampoo fights. Peace on earth!

Blog Entries

I've never really been a competitive swimmer. I did practice with the team in high school as a choosen workout but I was a cheerleader and at the time it was a more coveted activity.
    I started masters a year ago.
    About a month ago I added an extra workout at the local rec in addition to my masters sessions and two lifeguards insisted I had to had swum in college! They didn't believe I generally just began swimming.
    i felt like a rockstar!

Blog Entries

2nd one is when 5 us got together and were the only Masters group to show up as a team to the CMU hour of power..we had so much fun! even if we had to swim against the water polo team!

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fmracing View Post
    I can't believe how swimming on my own has rejuvenated my interest for the sport. I like it more now than I ever did back in HS and college under a coach. Hopefully 2011 keeps the interest and the increases coming.
    I'm totally with you on this one. I thought it would be tough to keep motivated swimming on my own, but I have found I can swim exactly how I want. I saw some good time drops on my sprints this summer and am hoping that has continued. Also although, or maybe because, I am limited in my pool time, I really can't wait for my next swim!
    30something and way too young for my times

Blog Entries

Swim happy end to the year -- ~5:40am in Scottsdale on a rare morning where the temperature dipped below freezing, a bit of ice on the deck, very few cars in the parking lot, the pool enveloped in fog rising from the 50 meter length and you could barely tell if anyone was even in the water. Like clockwork, though, there was our chipper coach Laura, smiling like it was mid-70s and sunshine and ready with another great workout. Thanks for another great year of training, Laura. Cheers!

Very Active Member

Last swim of 2010. Made my GTD goal!!

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

This will be a bit of a long post, so forgive me.

One of my resolutions for the New Year was for my first meet of the year (which just ended) to be my new "BMY"- Best Meet Yet. Last November and December, I had two really spectacular meets where I dropped a lot of time in a lot of events. Perhaps this was too much to expect, but I wanted to prove to myself I could get right back into it after the Christmas break (which was a week and a half), and after getting sick the first week of the new year, too.

The meet began well enough, I dropped almost a second and a half in the 100 back, to set my new PB at 1:16 flat. Then it was BZZZZT all downhill from there. 100 free's 1:00.83 is something I blame on my own arrogance (an arrogance which I didn't even know I had until it was too late). If I had just taken a test dive, maybe I would have a new 100 free PB right now. As is, I got flustered by the tiny blocks. So disappointed with my 100 free was I, that I blew-off cooldowns for the rest of the meet.

Day 1:

100 back: old PB 1:17.38 (Dec '10) /// new PB 1:16.00 (Jan '11)
    100 free: PB 58.93 (Dec '10) /// 1:00.83 (Jan '11)
    200 breast: PB 3:09 (Apr '10) /// 3:17.08 (Jan '11) (admittedly, the April swim was tapered and shaved down, and I have no experience in this event at all)
    100 fly: PB 1:11.25 (Dec '10) /// 1:15 (Jan '11)

So last night, I just kept telling myself, "Keep your nerve, keep your nerve, keep your nerve, there's still another day, a whole 'nother day of racing..."

When I came to the meet earlier, I was told I had to scratch one of my four events because the meet got overbooked. I opted out of the 200 backstroke and got a refund. That left the 200 IM, the 100 breast, and the 50 free.

I have never swum the 200 IM before, or indeed any IM. I raced it and got a time of 2:42. I guess that's good? I really have no perspective on it.

The 100 breast was a crusher, but I kept my cool and didn't completely wipe out. Still, my coach and I have both agreed that my breaststroke needs a lot of work, particularly my kick and my turns. I got a 1:29.

So, the meet so far:

Day 2

200 IM: PB 2:42 (Jan '11) It's a start!
    100 breast: PB 1:24.30 (Dec '10) /// 1:29 (Jan '11)

Only the 50 free is left to tell of. My PB coming into it was 27.53, as set at a meet way back in October. In those two great meets I had in November and December, I set new PBs in EVERY event I was entered in except for the 50 free. I got a 28.05 and a 27.86, respectively. So, how did I do?

26.35!

I flew, baby, I flew! It was one of those spin-around-and-rip-off-my-cap-n-goggles swims, so I could find out my time on the board as quickly as I could.

As I was packing up my bag to leave a few minutes later, I realized I was "back in it." Bad swims leave me feeling like a stranger in my own body. I feel like my temple is all disordered. I might have aches, I might feel disoriented for hours and days afterwards. For me, there is only one cure-all for this kind of thing: have a really good swim.

Incidentally, my three latest PBs in the 50 free have all come at the end of of my most disappointing meets. My 27.72 last May came after a very dissatisfactory 100 free which was rather similar to my 100 free yesterday (I slipped off the blocks, lost streamline). My 27.53 last October came after a meet where I had made only marginal gains (even the 50 free PB was a mere 19 milliseconds faster than May's swim). And now this one comes at the end of this meet... 26.35. I felt great swimming it and I feel great now, afterwards.

Keep your nerve, my fellow swimmers.

Quote Originally Posted by Couroboros View Post

26.35!
    I flew, baby, I flew!
    Way to go, Couroboros!

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

I'm staying in Boston for a couple of nights, and last night I was able to swim at Simmons College for the first time in months. Their pool is wider, deeper, and much cooler than the one I usually use, and I did a 3000 meter workout with seemingly half the effort I seem to expend when I swim in my club's pool. I hadn't fully appreciated until last night just what a difference water temperature makes.

Also, it's so nice to be able to flip turn and not feel like I'm going to bang my head on the bottom of the pool.

Blog Entries

I was off work today because of the weather, but the pool was open. I guess all the snow and ice kept everyone else away this afternoon, because the place was empty. I had the whole pool to myself for the 2 hours I was there. No kids, no noodlers, just me and the lifeguard.

The pool is usually very busy all day long, so it was a very nice change of pace.

Blog Entries

Got back to the pool today with my teammates for the first time in two days because of the ice. At practice, (granted I had my fins on) I swam my first ever 200 continuous fly! HOLY COW! So glad to be back in the pool!

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A 200 FLY???? Wow you were glad to be there!
    HTFU!

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast