Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Swim happy

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Swim happy

First swim in 10 days!!!!!!

So it was busy, and no 200 fly for me, but after about an hour and it had quietened down and there was just me in the lane a guy asked to split the lane. Fine - no problem, then he asked how long we were all practicing for. My response "Oh I'm not with the swim team"

I mean I'm probably more than 20 years older than most of the swimmers in the next 5 lanes (which is why the lap lanes were so busy - poor swim team hadn't had a swim since Monday!) So it made me feel good until I could no longer make my interval
    30something and way too young for my times

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Today is my 1st anniversary as a USMS member! I celebrated it with a taper swim, in preparation for this weekend's meet at Auburn. Goooooo GAJA!!!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ElaineK View Post
    Today is my 1st anniversary as a USMS member! I celebrated it with a taper swim, in preparation for this weekend's meet at Auburn. Goooooo GAJA!!!
    Happy Swimerversary! Mine was Feb 2nd. I spent it swimming SCM after helping Coach dig out 6-7' drifts out of her driveway.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that ones ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to ones willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Happy anniversary! Taper swims are always happy swims. Today will be my last taper day if the snow clears up enough. Tomorrow morning, I'm headed to Auburn. Can't wait!

Thanks, Michael and Peter! Hey, happy swimmerversary to you, too, Michael!

Peter, I'll look forward to meeting you at Auburn! I see you're swimming breaststroke events, as well, so I'll keep an eye out for you there. You know what I look like, so look for me, too! (If I already have my suit and cap on, it's a royal blue silicone cap, clear lens Tyr goggles, and a red, white, and blue Speedo.)

Happy taper!

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Yes, it's true... I like swimming breast stroke. I'm easy to find... I'll be the one swimming 200 backstroke w/ a paper bag on my head .

When I'm not swimming, I'm usually wearing black warm-up pants and a blue/red Barcelona soccer jersey. In the pool, I'll be wearing a blue pin-striped jammer and a silver cap.

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy View Post
    Yes, it's true... I like swimming breast stroke. I'm easy to find... I'll be the one swimming 200 backstroke w/ a paper bag on my head .

When I'm not swimming, I'm usually wearing black warm-up pants and a blue/red Barcelona soccer jersey. In the pool, I'll be wearing a blue pin-striped jammer and a silver cap.
    Sounds like someone should get a forumite t-shirt....
    "Fran operated under the assumption that ones ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to ones willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Quote Originally Posted by pmccoy View Post

A breaststroker with a slower backstroke- hmmmm; that sure sounds familiar to me! There are several of us who feel that way about our backstroke and have the slower times to prove it! Don't feel bad; you're not alone!

Thanks for the tip-off; I'll look for you on deck!

Quote Originally Posted by bzaks1424 View Post
    Sounds like someone should get a forumite t-shirt....
    I'll be wearing mine! Speaking of Forumite t-shirt, any chance I can get you to make the Top 10 list on back of the shirt larger, so others can read it without a magnifying glass? I'll buy another one if you do it!

Blog Entries

So after all the ice and snow of last week, I managed Sun, Tue, Thurs and Sat in the pool. GTD is happy, I'm happy, and I might even get a swim in next weekend too Also I'm beginning to feel the benefit of my endurance sets and re-learning to descend 100s

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

I swam in my very first Master's meet today! I went a 3:03.23 on my 200 back, and it was my first time swimming it, ever. more importantly, everyone was so so nice! I love it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy T View Post
    I swam in my very first Master's meet today! I went a 3:03.23 on my 200 back, and it was my first time swimming it, ever. more importantly, everyone was so so nice! I love it!
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amy T View Post
    Way to go on your 200 back and welcome to the world of Master's competitions. Racing does get addictive....

Participating Member

I have a swim happy!

I got a chance to practice diving off the starting blocks this morning!!

I haden't done that in 20 years, and that's really the only thing I'm nervous about at the meet I signed up for next month.

I talked to the swim coach for the triahlon class I'm currently taking about the Y's no diving policy and asked if he could help me out by seeing if they would let me go off the blocks during class time.

So today he stopped me during a set and had me hop up and try it.

The good news is I was able to keep my goggles on about half the time. This is an improvemnt over 20 years ago (0% of the time) and I will credit improved goggle technology. (We can assume my technique has not improved. lol) Because they staty on sometimes, I can tell what I need to be doing with the angle of my head to make them stay on better. Yay for all that!

All the times that I managed to get the front end of my dive right, my thighs slapped the water really loudly (and they are now correspondingly red). But, oh well for now on that.

At this first-meet-in-20-years on March 5, my goal is a dive that gives me a better start than pushing from the wall and leaves my goggles in place.

AND, he said he'd let me practice a few more times before the meet. Yay!
    Help! I'm lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-ingToTurn40 View Post
    The good news is I was able to keep my goggles on about half the time. This is an improvemnt over 20 years ago (0% of the time) and I will credit improved goggle technology. (We can assume my technique has not improved. lol) Because they staty on sometimes, I can tell what I need to be doing with the angle of my head to make them stay on better. Yay for all that!
    Try Ande's trick for keeping your goggles on: Put a second cap OVER your goggle strap, then pull the cap down over the top edge of your goggles. I wear both caps over my goggles and it works great. For extra security, put Vaseline around your eye sockets where the goggles fit. Not only will it help keep the goggles on better; it helps protect the soft skin tissue around your eyes. Finally, look back at your legs when you dive in and squeeze your arms against your ears.

Good luck!

To keep goggles on for new divers, I have them put their arms up then shrug shoulders in & push top of biceps onto goggles

My Swim Happy for the day: I went over the 50 mile mark in my FLOG for GTD.

Very Active Member
    Blog Entries

Great Job!! What is your goal this year? I'm shooting for the free swimsuit (500 mi.)

Way to go, Elaine!

Blog Entries

WooHoo!! I'm hoping to achieve the 50 miles by the end of this coming week.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast