Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim on April 23, 2011

24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim on April 23, 2011

The 14th Annual 24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim will be on April 23rd, 2011. Entry Forms are available at www.DistanceMatters.com and entries are currently being accepted. The deadline to enter is March 1st, but contestants are encouraged to enter early since there is a limited number of entries that may be accepted.

We have several slots available for individual and group Open Water Boot Camps November - March. Our water temperatures range from 58F - 65F during our winter, so you can get your cold water training and qualification swim here in the Tampa area of Florida. You can come swim with us 2 hours to 10 hours per day, 1-7+ consecutive days, with weekend and weekday slots available.

Please contact me via email at collins@tampabay.rr.com or call me at 727.531.7999 for questions on the Boot Camp or the Marathon Swim.

Thank you,

Ron Collins
    Clearwater, FL

www.DistanceMatters.com
    Ron Collins
    Distance Matters
    PO Box 18004
    Clearwater, FL 33762

Re: 24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim on April 23, 2011

Entry form attached in .pdf
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Ron Collins
    Distance Matters
    PO Box 18004
    Clearwater, FL 33762

Ron, I am the final stages of setting up my schedule for next year. It is all built around CC in late August/early September. I think I'd like to attempt Tampa Bay in April to get a marathon swim in and test my progress. It would definitely motivate me to crank up my training right away. 5 1/2 months until the swim is not a lot of time. I hope to have everything confirmed by the end of the month.

PS you might check the links on your website to RonCollins.net and the American Flag Company. It looks like you still have a problem with them.
    "If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing."

www.bobswims.com/

I am working to put a relay team together.
    Sarah
    Pittsburgh
    originally from Bradenton, FL

Very Active Member Chicken of the Sea's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Want to but deciding between a few big ones next year and don't have the $ for all of them...unless I sell my body. Science might buy it.
    Ron, do you offer a scholarship program or layaway?
    It was quite capable in the water, perhaps a little on the slow side, but it wasn't impressed by my appearance.

I thought I already answered that question last year. Here's the deal, we'll let you do our swim for about 1/2 the $ of Manhattan.
    Ron Collins
    Distance Matters
    PO Box 18004
    Clearwater, FL 33762

Blog Entries

I'm on the brink and teetering
    It was quite capable in the water, perhaps a little on the slow side, but it wasn't impressed by my appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by roncollins View Post
    I thought I already answered that question last year. Here's the deal, we'll let you do our swim for about 1/2 the $ of Manhattan.
    That may be true Ron, but you don't provide the flotsam and jetsom that MIMS does.

www.bobswims.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E=H2O View Post
    That may be true Ron, but you don't provide the flotsam and jetsom that MIMS does.
    I object to being called Flotsam and Jetsom! I prefer "texture"

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sea View Post
    I object to being called Flotsam and Jetsom! I prefer "texture"
    Hey Chicken,

I just sent in my check to Ron. If you show up I'll stop the slanderous comments. Until then you'll remain flotsam & jetsam to me.

www.bobswims.com/

Updated list of entrants

Here is the list of entries (so far) for the 24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon
    Swim, to be held on Saturday, April 23, 2011:

Solo Swimmers

Evan Morrison, 31M, Chicago, IL
    Sergio Radovcic, 32M, Delray Beach, FL
    Scott Richards, 51M, San Marcos, CA
    Barbara Held, 57F, San Diego, CA
    Mo Siegel, 59M, Piermont, NY
    Bob Needham, 58M, Lake Oswego, OR
    Jennifer McCormick, 28F, Cheshire, CT
    Alan Morrison, 49M, New York, NY
    Don MacDonald, 49M, Barrington, IL
    Shamu MacIntyre, 59M, Merritt Island, FL
    Anthony McCarley, 51M, Berwyn, PA

Relays

3 Y's Guys Swim for Richard
    Paul Kiell, 80M, Far Hills, NJ
    Martino Caretto, 60M, Basking Ridge, NJ
    Douglas Munch, 64M, Cambridge, MA

Entry deadline is March 1st, 2011. Official information and entry forms
    are available at www.DistanceMatters.com
    Ron Collins
    Distance Matters
    PO Box 18004
    Clearwater, FL 33762

Blog Entries

EVMO @ 8:59!!!!!!!

sorry, i don't have ant of the other results yet.

(The others are still swimming?)

Well played, evmo!

Congratulations to all who made the commitment, got wet, swam far!

Very Active Member swimthegoodfight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

congrats to all... sounds like the water was warm.

SOLO SWIMMERS
    Evan Morrison, 31M, Chicago, IL – 8 hours, 59 minutes
    Tom Sherry, 43M, Asheville, NC – 9 hours, 40 minutes
    Kevin Anderson, 51M, Jamul, CA – 9 hours, 56 minutes
    Frank Kriegler, 45M, Asheville, NC – 10 hours, 5 minutes
    Barbara Held, 57F, San Diego, CA – 10 hours, 21 minutes
    Scott Richards, 51M, San Marcos, CA – 10 hours, 35 minutes
    Douglas McConnell, 53M, Barrington, IL – 10 hours, 44 minutes
    Cynthia Walsh, 48F, San Diego, CA – 10 hours, 50 minutes
    Anthony McCarley, 51M, Berwyn, PA – 11 hours, 26 minutes
    Bob Needham, 58M, Lake Oswego, OR – 11 hours, 26 minutes, 15 seconds
    Bridgette Hobart, 48F, Lake Hopatcong, NJ – 11 hours, 51 minutes
    Jennifer McCormick, 28F, Cheshire, CT – 12 hours, 16 minutes
    Michelle Nelson, 39F, Lake Worth, FL – 12 hours, 19 minutes
    Alan Morrison, 49M, New York, NY – 14 hours, 23 minutes
    Flavia Zappa, 44F, Minneapolis, MN – 15 hours, 10 minutes
    Eric Arndt, 33M, Bloomington, IL – DNF due to sickness near the Gandy Bridge
    Willy Blumentals, 38M, North Bergen, NJ – DNF due to sickness near the Gandy Bridge
    Kimberly Plewa, 28F, Rahway, NJ – DNF due to hypothermia near the Gandy Bridge
    Don Macdonald, 49M, Barrington, IL – DNF due to shoulder pain near the Gandy Bridge RELAYS
    Dream Team – 8 hours, 21 minutes
    Casey Gemunder, 22F, Bethesda, MD
    Jessica Delgehausen, 21F, Rogers, MN
    Drew Onken, 19M, Marietta, GA
    Holiday in Cambodia – 9 hours, 4 minutes
    Tim Kennedy, 54M, St. Petersburg, FL
    Chris Burke, 49M, St. Petersburg, FL
    Angry Fish – 9 hours, 43 minutes
    Tom McEvoy, 57M, West Chester, PA
    Chris Kirwin, 45M, Overland Park, KS
    Jordan Lewis, 53M, Minneapolis, MN
    Mike Regan, 50M, Cumberland, ME
    Barb Good Toohey, 50F, Hanover, MA
    Dan Snyder, 43M, Los Gatos, CA

The No Names – 9 hours, 54 minutes
    Pat Marzulli, 62M, Indian Rocks Beach, FL
    Mark Smitherman, 53M, Clearwater, FL
    Joe Lain, 57M, Clearwater, FL Kentucky Girls Swim Barefoot – 10 hours, 40 minutes
    Nancy McElwain, 44F, Louisville, KY
    Linda Fijol, F, Hadley, MA
    Christina Norris, 55F, Louisville, KY
    Ashli Collins, 38F, Crestwood, KY
    Sally DiLaura, 53F, Louisville, KY
    Susan Ehringer, 42F, Louisville, KY
    3 Y's Guys Swim for Richard – 10 hours, 35 minutes
    Paul Kiell, 80M, Far Hills, NJ
    William Raynes, 22M, Basking Ridge, NJ
    Michael Raynes, 24M, Basking Ridge, NJ
    Douglas Munch, 64M, Cambridge, MA
    Bart 'n' Arnie – 10 hours, 58 minutes
    Bart Cobb, 56M, Tampa, FL
    Arnie Bellini, 52M, Tampa, FL
    Fear No Distance – 10 hours, 59 minutes
    Lori Carena, 57F, Brooklyn, NY
    Julie Sheldon, 39F, Summit, NJ
    Team Impromptu – 11 hours, 51 minutes
    Mo Siegel, 59M, Piermont, NY
    Suzie Dods, 50F, San Francisco, CA
    Ric Nadel, 43M, Westport, CT
    Terri Pyle, 46F, Orlando, FL

It was hot. it started at 81, and went up from there. The NOAA buoy for St. Petersburg was 84.5. In one (long) section it felt like 86 to 88 and I heard one person mention 87. So it was very hot water, and the high for the day was 89!

www.bobswims.com/

Officially, it was about 81F off of Albert Whited Airport, the location of this data. Surely, it was warmer over the flats, especially around noontime. It was unusally hot this year, but nowhere close to the maximum and it is hopefully going to be near the average of 75F for next year's event on April 21, 2012.

Official Results: The 2011 Tampa Bay Marathon Swim

The Fourteenth Annual 24 Mile Tampa Bay Marathon Swim was held on Saturday, April 23, 2011. Evan Morrison, 31, from Chicago was the overall champion, completing the course in 8 hours, 59 minutes. The women’s champion was Barbara Held, 57, from San Diego, CA who swam the length of the Bay in 10 hours, 21 minutes. The fastest time of the day was by a team of swimmers from Davidson College, calling themselves “The Dream Team,” finishing in 8 hours, 21 minutes.

Swimmers battled a 12 knot easterly headwind as they headed toward Pinellas Point, with an official starting time of 7:17am. Relay swimmer for The Dream Team, Drew Onken, 19, from Marietta, GA, quickly distanced himself from the field, followed by eventual solo champion Evan Morrison, and relay team Holiday in Cambodia. As they made the turn north, the pack was spread out along the western shore of Tampa Bay, due to the current caused by the incoming tide and the easterly wind. As the leaders approached the Gandy Bridge, the winds had settled to 5 knots, but the swimmers still had to cope with the moderate chop and warm temperatures. Typically, marathon swimmers prefer water temperatures in the 60s, so the unseasonably warm 81F on the race course was uncomfortable for most of the competitors.

The Dream Team, a relay of 3 varsity collegiate swimmers, eventally came ashore at Ben T. Davis Beach, registering a time just 38 minutes faster than the solo champion Evan Morrison. After the event, Morrison admited that he kept an eye on the 2 person relay team from St. Petersburg, FL, Holiday in Cambodia, who trailed him closely from behind and finished only 5 minutes later. The calming waters in the north regions of the Bay eventually saw 15 of the 19 soloists, and all 9 relay teams reach their final destination to complete the marathon swim.

The women's champion, Barbara Held, led a strong contingent of competitors from Southern California. She reported that conditions were choppy and hot, but her approach was very methodical and consistent as she powered her way to the end. Currently the oldest woman to successfully complete the swim from Catalina Island to the California mainland, her next competition will be the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim on June 18th.

Visit our Facebook page to connect with other participants & see pictures from our event. Go There Now >>>

Perhaps the most remarkable story of the day is that of Flavia Zappa, 44, from Minneapolis, MN. On her 7th attempt to complete the event, she swam the length of Tampa Bay with an expert crew that included defending champion Craig Lenning, 31, who returned this year from Denver, CO soley to help Flavia complete the swim. As is custom with this type of event, Flavia set a new record for "swimming the longest", finishing the swim in 15 hours, 10 minutes. Previously, that record was held by Laura Collette, who spent 14 hours, 23 minutes swimming the race in 2003.
    Ron Collins
    Distance Matters
    PO Box 18004
    Clearwater, FL 33762

Very Active Member

Quote Originally Posted by roncollins View Post
    Officially, it was about 81F off of Albert Whited Airport, the location of this data. Surely, it was warmer over the flats, especially around noontime. It was unusally hot this year, but nowhere close to the maximum and it is hopefully going to be near the average of 75F for next year's event on April 21, 2012.
    My experience pretty much concurs with the data Ron posted. I did the 84-degree 10K in Noblesville last year and it wasn't anywhere near that. 81 sounds about right, and there were cooler upwellings over some of the shipping channels. The only spot where it seemed significantly warmer was in the last few hundred yards before the finish, in 3-5 feet of water.

Quote Originally Posted by evmo View Post
    My experience pretty much concurs with the data Ron posted. I did the 84-degree 10K in Noblesville last year and it wasn't anywhere near that. 81 sounds about right, and there were cooler upwellings over some of the shipping channels. The only spot where it seemed significantly warmer was in the last few hundred yards before the finish, in 3-5 feet of water.
    A few comments. First, you finished 2 1/2 hours ahead of me. :-) That put you further up-course when I was experiencing the hottest water of the day. This was about the same time as when you referred to experiencing the hottest water. Second, while the time I passed the NOAA buoy may have been before it's highest temperature, the later temperatures taken at the buoy probably fairly represents (if not understates) the water temperatures of the upper parts of the bay. Third, for better or worse (obviously worse) I was further west than you when approaching the Gandy Bridge. This was shallower water and where the water temperature was the highest. Your GPS readings put you in the deeper channel at the bridge. Finally, I can't help but notice that 2 swimmers DNF due to sickness near the Gandy Bridge. I can attest to the fact that the heat of the water and the air combined in that location made me extremely lightheaded. It was so bad that at every one of my 15 minute feedings approaching the Gandy Bridge I was poring ice water over my head and neck to cool down.

As a side note, every swimmer I talked to (the later arriving swimmers) described the water as hot, and one experienced swimmer told me they wouldn't swim the event again because of the water temperature.
    Last edited by E=H2O; April 25th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.

www.bobswims.com/

Very Active Member

I can only attest to my own experience; and it's great to hear others' experiences. It sounds like you experienced warmer water than I did, due to time of day and route. This is great information for future TBMS swimmers and their pilots, if the Gulf Coast should happen to be blessed with another early summer :-)

It would be unfortunate if anyone decided against trying the swim because they expected overly warm water. I think this year was unusual.

Blog Entries

last year, the water temps were low to mid 70's. if i recall correctly; there was even some chatter (a few weeks before the swim) that we might not even see 70 degrees for the swim.

ron puts on a great event, but even he can't control these things. i know i would have to knock down my effort a few notches if the water was in the 80's, but... as these things are difficult to predict a few months out; it wouldn't keep me from entering.

on the other hand: the 10k at ft meyers is extremely likely to have water temps in the mid 80's. i won't be.... will you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast