Thread: "Report this Post" MIA?

Very Active Member

"Report this Post" MIA?

Not sure what happened to the report this post buttons? Not a huge deal, but there is a whole lot of violation of this rule lately:

Cross-Posting / Spamming
    Please do not double post or cross-post the same message in multiple forums. You are not permitted to mass-PM or mass-email multiple members of this site the same message. This includes "bump threads" and posts intended merely to increase one's post count. Worthless posts with no content and nonsensical posts eat up space and waste everyone's time. One or two word responses such as "Me Too", "I agree", "great post!", smilies not accompanined by content, and similar responses may be considered spam. These type of posts are not allowed on any forums.
    I dunno, maybe with all the new emoticons we have, "smilies not 'accompanined'" by content are now perfectly acceptable, and this generally ignored rule should be amended or abandoned as quaintly anachronistic.

For what it's worth, I like the rule, and would like to see it enforced.

I suppose I could post directly in a few offending threads, but I am of course ever mindful of this rule:

Playing the Role of a Moderator
    If you're not a moderator, don't correct posters as if you are a moderator! If you have a problem with a post, use the "Report This Post" button, rather than playing moderator. More often than not, that causes more problems than it fixes. Let us handle any situation you feel needs to be moderated.
    At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.

This was no boating accident.

Re: "Report this Post" MIA?

The "Report this post" button is alive and well!

It's in the lower left-hand corner of each post (below the poster's name). It is a white triangle, outlined in red, with a black exclamation point in the center.

Very Active Member

I see it now, thanks.
    At this point in the development of our society, there is virtually no writing which has not been plagiarized at least in part from another. I read that somewhere.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Not sure what happened to the report this post buttons? Not a huge deal, but there is a whole lot of violation of this rule lately:

I dunno, maybe with all the new emoticons we have, "smilies not 'accompanined'" by content are now perfectly acceptable, and this generally ignored rule should be amended or abandoned as quaintly anachronistic.

For what it's worth, I like the rule, and would like to see it enforced.

I suppose I could post directly in a few offending threads, but I am of course ever mindful of this rule:
    Gripe, gripe, gripe. There are worse things than someone using smile's as the only reply or post in a thread.

Talk about tryin to be a buzz kill

Very Active Member

Sorry to harsh your toke there, Mr. Wookie. As I said, it's not a huge deal. I'm actually more bothered by the rule being ignored than by smilie-only responses, although I really don't think a response consisting solely of or adds much of value to the discussion.

IMO, If we're going to have the rule on the books, it should be enforced. If it is going to be ignored, pull it down. Or if the forum would prefer to amend it, fine, amend it.

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar

Dear Mr. Bill- you have always shown an appreciation for the language, but in this case I think you are being too literal.
    Life keeps throwing curve balls; the trick, I'm learning, is to duck...

Very Active Member

That's me, grumpy and pedantic. But I sense that this disconnect between rule and practice bothers only me.

And frankly the tragic loss of Fran Crippen makes minor stuff like this seem rather churlish and petty.

I withdraw my comments. Henceforth, smilie-only posts are perfectly OK with me.

Very Active Member jim thornton's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Playing the Role of a Moderator
    If you're not a moderator, don't correct posters as if you are a moderator! If you have a problem with a post, use the "Report This Post" button, rather than playing moderator. More often than not, that causes more problems than it fixes. Let us handle any situation you feel needs to be moderated.

I am not sure this is a good rule.

In the sport of yoga, sometimes very enthusiastic students can help other students, even when the former are not yet fully certified instructors.

Oh! Gluten-free crackers!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lBoJpx8Wn8"]YouTube - Inappropriate Yoga Guy - Yoga, Bitch![/nomedia]

Age Grouper in Training jaadams1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Henceforth, smilie-only posts are perfectly OK with me.

aka Elaine-iaK & Aqua Dog ElaineK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaadams1 View Post

Bravo, James! You and That Guy really know how to make my day!
    http://ElaineiaKsTravels.wordpress.com

~ Believing in your dreams can be far more rewarding than living by your limitations ~Karla Peterson

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a question: Why would a person want to boost their number of replies or responses on the forum? Is there a contest or some type of honor if you reply many times on the forum? No big deal, I was just wondering.
    HTFU!