Thread: Where are the meets

Blog Entries

Where are the meets

I've been noticing that the amount of meets for Master's swimming has been on the decline, at least that is how it feels. I know here in the Florida area the meets are very few and far in between. Does anyone have any theories as to why this is so, other then the economy?

Re: Where are the meets

Check the Dixie Zone calendar at http://www.dixiezone.org/Meets.htm. There are a lot of Florida meets and open water swims listed there through May. It seems that a lot of Florida meets are missing from the USMS calendar. I'll contact the LMSC sanctions people from the two LMSCs to try to get that resolved. I'm seeing the following number of meets and OW swims listed in Florida (not including Senior Games types of events):

December - 1 pool meet
    Jan - 1 pool meet, 1 OW
    Feb - 3 pool meets
    Mar - 2 pool meets
    Apr - 3 pool meets, 2 OW
    May - 2 pool meets, 1 OW
    I can't remember a life before Google.
    Fortunately, I can Google it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matysekj View Post
    ... It seems that a lot of Florida meets are missing from the USMS calendar...
    This seems to be a persistent problem both at the USMS and at the LMSC level (SPMA excepted as they do a GREAT job with their meet calendar). In general, my biggest constraint to attend a meet is time, primarily due to other family commitments. As I travel a lot for work, I have tried to combine business and pleasure travel with swim meets ... but it's very hard to do that if meets don't show up on calendars with sufficient notice.

To give you an example, I pretty much know today which weekends in 2011 from January through September that are even possibilities for me to consider going to a meet. It would be great if the USMS calendar of events were up-to-date with, at a minimum, meets coming up in the next 3 months, but ideally in the next 6 months. I'm convinced attendance would increase at events if they just showed up on the calendars sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by pwb View Post
    This seems to be a persistent problem both at the USMS and at the LMSC level...
    Yes, it is. We do have plans in the works to provide all sanctions through one national process that includes an automatic listing on the national calendar, but that will take a bit of time to roll out. In the meantime, we're trying to get the word out to populate the national calendar better.

What a lot of local groups don't realize is the scale of things and it's impact on the ability to reach more people to come to your meets. At the national level, we are currently hosting the following in addition to the USMS national site(s):

24 LMSC websites
    4 zone websites
    12 club websites
    2 other affiliated websites

Taking a quick look at the traffic, the one usms.org website gets over 10x the traffic of all 42 of those sites combined. So although LMSCs may be used to posting their calendar of events on their own website and thinking that is sufficient for getting the word out about their events, the statistics tell another story. It is very important for the local groups to get the exposure via the national calendar, as well as important to the swimmers to have the ability to search one location to find meets to attend.

Blog Entries

I agree national postings would make a huge difference. It is completely insaine to have that many sites and yet expect people to be able to find and better yet keep up with the meet listings and changes. I can completely understand how it got this way though. Hopefully the future will make everyones swimming lives a little easier.

Jim are you planning on going to New England Masters Championships in March I believe you went last year or was that the meters meet?

Quote Originally Posted by jessman131 View Post
    Jim are you planning on going to New England Masters Championships in March I believe you went last year or was that the meters meet?
    Nope, I haven't been to a NE meet since 2005. I may still make it up to one of them in the next year or two, but it all depends on timing relative to closer meets and nationals.

Very Active Member Chris Stevenson's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by matysekj View Post
    but it all depends on timing relative to closer meets
    As in: who in their right mind would leave Sarasota FL to visit Boston MA in December?

Note added in proof: I guess I recall seeing Rob Butcher there last year. Whoops.

Blog Entries

My apologizes Jim I got you confused with someone else.

Chris with minimal meets here in the winter that are actually competitive I see no reason not to go to NE for meets, your not swimming outside and in December the meet is at Boston U which has an incredible pool.