Thread: Wet Suit

Participating Member

Wet Suit

Hello, i'm new to Masters Swimming, and have a question.

I signed up for the Chesapeake Bay 4.4 Swim next June. I have swam all my life and played water polo in college. My first open water race was last summer, I did a two mile race to qualify for the Bay Swim. That race, however, was in warm water.

I need to get a wet suit for the Bay. Any suggestions as to brands? Fit? Full sleeves? I am on a budget, and this will likely be my only race for a while, so I don't need anything high end. This will also be my first wet suit purchase, so I'm sorta lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: Wet Suit

C-bay is a warm water swim with temps averaging in the mid 70's. air temps are typically much warmer.

so.... on a tight budget? swim without a wetsuit.

I have a couple of wetsuits from Xterra I've used in triathlons. I highly recommend them, but mine are top of the line. If you buy one buy a sleeveless. You do not want anything more than that in water that warm.

Xterra is always having sales. They have great customer service and a great return policy. Just make sure you know how to put on a swim wetsuit without damaging it. They won't take it back if you damage it.

Here is there current sale. Good until 12/6

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/CYBER/

But remember, the best wetsuit is the one that fits you. Different wetsuit manufactures suits all fit differently.
    "If you didn't swallow water in your last open water race, you weren't racing."

www.bobswims.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E=H2O View Post
    I have a couple of wetsuits from Xterra I've used in triathlons. I highly recommend them, but mine are top of the line. If you buy one buy a sleeveless. You do not want anything more than that in water that warm.

Xterra is always having sales. They have great customer service and a great return policy. Just make sure you know how to put on a swim wetsuit without damaging it. They won't take it back if you damage it.

Here is there current sale. Good until 12/6

http://www.xterrawetsuits.com/CYBER/

But remember, the best wetsuit is the one that fits you. Different wetsuit manufactures suits all fit differently.
    I'll second all of the above, and most particularly the last comment about getting one that fits.

As for brands, I got the sleeveless low end Xterra last year for the Chesapeake race. They seem to make pretty good suits and their sizing charts were pretty accurate, at least for me. And I'd agree that a sleeveless is plenty. The water is warm enough (when combined with the air temperature) that I'm seriously considering going without if I do it again. I would have boiled with a full suit.

As for putting the suits on, one big consideration is fingernails--it is possible to rip the outer skin of the suit with your nails, even when they are kept short. But if you pay attention, it's really not hard to get a suit on safely.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

I'll "third" the recommendation on Xterra and going for the sleeveless. Furthermore, I'll attest to having bought their cheapest model on sale and it's a great wetsuit.

Whatever wetsuit you buy, though, make sure you buy plenty of Body Glide and apply LIBERALLY around neck and arm seams.

If you don't need to purchase one right away, we are currently testing wetsuits for a story that will appear in the March-April issue of SWIMMER magazine.