Thread: Dry Erase Boards | Waterproof

Participating Member

Dry Erase Boards | Waterproof

I'm essentially looking for a waterproof clapboard. We videotape underwater our clients private lessons and as we use a single DVD for many different lessons, I'd like to keep track of who's who in the video when we're processing them by recording beforehand the time, date and name of the client on a clapboard (or something similar).

Can anyone recommend a clapboard or something similar that would be waterproof or, at the very least, water resistant or can recommend alternative solutions?

Re: Dry Erase Boards | Waterproof

try using a crayon on a whiteboard type material. it should last long enough to get on film, but not sure how fast it will clean up

or like one of my swimmers have done, put a paper inside a zip lock bag. she has a hard time seeing my work out on the board so she prints it out in large font stuffs it in a zip lock and plasters it to the side of the pool

Quote Originally Posted by cjbrooks View Post
    I'm essentially looking for a waterproof clapboard. We videotape underwater our clients private lessons and as we use a single DVD for many different lessons, I'd like to keep track of who's who in the video when we're processing them by recording beforehand the time, date and name of the client on a clapboard (or something similar).

Can anyone recommend a clapboard or something similar that would be waterproof or, at the very least, water resistant or can recommend alternative solutions?
    Search for "underwater writing slate" at Amazon.com. Not sure how big of a slate board you need (the largest that came up on the initial page ix 8" x 10"), but they seem to be reasonably priced. These are the underwater slates divers use to write messages to each other.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Participating Member

Thanks debaru. I had looked into that before making my post. From what I can tell the writing utensil is just a glorified pencil. I'd be concerned that it wouldn't show up on a video feed. Does anyone use China Markers or know how effective they would be in the water?

I would think that China Markers (a.k.a., grease pencils) would work. But, I thought this is the type of writing utensil that is used with diving slates. I'm not a diver, so I'm not really sure. I'm just going by memory from having watched diving-related documentaries.
    I would give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter.

Participating Member

We use 8.5 x 11 paper in gallon ziplocks on deck. They often end up in the water, yet the pages stay dry. I don't see why two clips mounted on a board could not hold the ziplock underwater while you film, giving you visual access to the information you need. Even if the paperdoes not stay dry, the information is certainly still readable in the baggie. You may need something bigger, but this is a good idea, as the previous poster indicated.

I'm looking for a good usable u/w camera (cheap). What camera do you use, and are you happy with it. Did I mention "cheap" is a strong point?

Very Active Member

this may work. coach guy edson gave me this idea.
    at a place like lowes or home depot you can get sheets of bathroom tile and cut it into small rectangles

use grease pencils (www.listo.com)

hope this helps.

------------
    i have used blank sheets of the material used for road running or triathlon or ski bib numbers. it is sturdy and water resistant.
    The Gift of Oz Lies Within! - Trust - Believe, Achieve.

I've used china markers and plastic clipboards (Staples) and clear acetate sheets - the ones used for creating overheads - for my workouts and recordind times. If the china markers et wet they can unravel or split, but if you can keep them relatively dry they work really well. I actually wrap them with duct tape and they stay dry and I can still peel the paper back on the marker. Pretty cheap all around and the acetates clean up with a paper towel

Participating Member

A perfect option would be to use something from Incrediline. You can write with a Sharpie or any type of permanent writing tool. It would still be water proof, but you could still wipe off the Sharpie ink easily and use white board thing all over again. It's a sticker type of white board, but if you wanted to stick it onto a clip board, that is easily possible. You should really check them out.

Their website is http://www.incrediline.com
    All of their products are shown in http://www.incrediline.com/shop

They have a video too if you're wondering how it works.