Thread: Here goes

Participating Member

Here goes

Jumping in to masters swimming and competing. This is about as comfortable as the first few minutes in the pool during a December workout.

Really enjoying getting into shape and setting goals for myself.

One question for the group - where can I find sprinter workouts. Most of the workouts I've seen are for longer yardage sets.

Thanks,
    Greg

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Here goes

Go to the Blog section and check out The Fortress Blog. She is a drop-dead sprinter and an awesome blogger! There's lots of great interaction in the comment section there too!
    HTFU!

Blog Entries

I'd check out this thread- search for fast friday workouts: [ame="http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=12118"]Tall Pauls Favorite Workouts and/or Sets - U.S. Masters Swimming Discussion Forums[/ame]

Also, this chick is fast and blogs her sprintish workouts: http://forums.usms.org/blog.php?u=4677

Good luck!

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drgdclark View Post
    Jumping in to masters swimming and competing.
    Are you entering the ROT meet in Dallas at the end of the month?
    30something and way too young for my times

Blog Entries

Last year Jackie Hirsty was an online coach in the Workouts section here at USMS and she had a sprinter workout every week (I think).

Good luck!

Won Slowest Swimmer Award bzaks1424's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't forget to balance your workouts. You'll want a combination of both sprinting and endurance not to mention rest (my favorite part!) to perform optimally throughout the years.
    "Fran operated under the assumption that ones ability to cope with the travails of daily life fluctuates in direct proportion to ones willingness to work through hurt." -Ian Prichard

Paint test area ahead Michael Heather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Depends on your goals. If you are never going to swim (in competition) anything over 100, by all means, prepare accordingly. I have found that it gets kind of tedious swimming all sprints all the time. Even in workouts. But you know what you want to do. Sprinters also need a lot of flexibility and strength training, so prepare for the weight room while you're at it.
    The opinions expressed in the above post are mine, not those of U.S. Masters Swimming. But maybe they should be.