Thread: golfers elbow

Participating Member

Angry golfers elbow

All of a sudden after four years of competing and regular workouts my medial right elbow is strained and hurts with stroke. I am in the 75-79 age group.. How do I modify my stroke to alleviate the strain. I swim all four strokes and am entered at Harvard ten events in two weeks. I am icing and using ibuprofen. Thanks

Blog Entries

Re: golfers elbow

I was going to start a thread on this but you beat me to it. Similar to your problem but both of my forearms have this problem. It's been like this for about 6 months. It can get severe enough that I have trouble opening doors. I've tried everything at my disposal and will be seeing a MD soon. 45-50

I attached an image that describes the area that triggers the pain.
    Last edited by __steve__; November 12th, 2011 at 07:34 PM.

I have this condition as well, which was brought about by use of over-sized hand paddles. I think that rest, ice, and ibuprofen are the initial treatments of choice. Sometimes surgery is required if it gets really bad. I ignored the symptoms many years ago to my peril. One night the pain in my left elbow became severe, preventing me from sleeping and triggering a bout of shingles, which is extremely painful in its own right.

This injury (medical name medial epicondylitis) is very common among swimmers. If you use the search function you will find a lot of threads about medial elbow pain with personal histories and advice.

I had some relief from the Theraband Flexbar

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZsa0bBCAf0"]YouTube - Thera-Band FlexBar "Reverse Tyler Twist" for Golfers Elbow[/nomedia]

Blog Entries

I'm a semi-expert on this, having been suffering for over 15 months. The following youtube may help you with exercises. You should know that on average, people can take up to 18 months or longer to heal properly. One of the things that has helped me the most (especially with waking up in the middle of the night in pain) is using Kinesio Tape to prevent muscle spasms in your sleep. ALSO, add 250mg of magnesium (one pill) to your night time pills - or up to 500mg every other day - magnesium is a smooth muscle relaxer & will also help reduce restless leg syndrome. A word of caution though, you may end up with "the trots" if you overdo the magnesium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQiLW...embedded#at=14

Also, check out: www.DIYINJURYREHAB.com

Best Wishes

I have been using small paddles for 12 years because of this strain. It has worked out well for me!

Swimming gives me a buzz! Bobinator's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where do you purchase "Theraband Flex Bars"? I have a couple friends with elbow pain and I'd like to show them this link and tell them where to get the bar.
    HTFU!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobinator View Post
    Where do you purchase "Theraband Flex Bars"? I have a couple friends with elbow pain and I'd like to show them this link and tell them where to get the bar.

I got mine at Amazon.

Blog Entries

Stretching, ice, rest, strengthening opposing muscles, ibuprofen all tried with no success. Went to a doctor, he got sidetracked once I told him my hands fall asleep at night.

Went to another doctor and I told him to give me a shot in the area. Been 2 weeks and thus far it's fixed. I might have my other elbow, which isn't as bad as the other was but still aches, injected too.

Just curious if any of you that have had this issue found you tend to lock your elbows at certain times during yours strokes (other than streamline push-off)?? Locking loaded joints cause inflammation during weight training so it seems logical it could happen with water resistance "loading" as well.

Participating Member
    Blog Entries

Thank you! I've been suffering for years with this. Hopefully this will help. thank you

Participating Member

In addition to everything everyone else has suggested, I have heard that a lot of people have success with Rolflex or Armaid devices. I just bought one because I am having some elbow problems after I started rock climbing in addition to swimming. So far it seems to be helping, but I literally just started using it.

Participating Member

In my experience - you need to strengthen the forearms - i keep squishy "balls" in my car and squeeze those while i drive back and forth from work - maybe 80-100 reps with each hand. after doing this for a week or so - my problem goes away. i avoid paddles because i think they put too much strain on older shoulders and joints.

Blog Entries

7 yrs ago I tried everything then got a shot. Has not bothered me since

Participating Member

I have this problem as well. Iíve already had surgery on my right elbow and it was a complete success. Recovery was about 30 days. PT will be required to regain range of motion. Iím at the point where my left elbow is going down the tube. Iíve talked to my surgeon...Iíve had 2 cortisone shots already and theyíre only lasting about 2 months. I may have surgery on the left elbow soon. Just depends on my threshold for pain. No real suggestions other than the shot. It allows the area to settle down a bit. Once the tendon is damaged (which is what your issue is) it takes a long time to heal. Tendons need blood to heal and that is not an area that gets a lot of blood flow. At least thatís what my surgeon said. Wish you the best 😊