Thread: HEAT training over the summer?

HEAT training over the summer?

anyone here swim with HEAT in Waco?

It's looking more and more like we'll be spending 3-5weeks at my parents in July-Aug and if I don't swim those weeks, it will really kill my conditioning not to mention my chances at reaching 450 miles for the year.

anyone know of any meets in the area in those months, it could be a deciding factor for our travel dates....

Re: HEAT training over the summer?

Tons of views, but no Heart of Texas swimmers on this board?

Hopefully someone will get back to me before this summer. Otherwise I'll chance it when I get there.

raced the 200 fly couldbebetterfly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's a meet in Dallas 25 June and South Central Zones is 23 July, but can't see where its being held this year. Oh and the Summer Games of Texas are in Waco again - 30 July, or thereabouts I believe.
    30something and way too young for my times

Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly View Post
    There's a meet in Dallas 25 June and South Central Zones is 23 July, but can't see where its being held this year. Oh and the Summer Games of Texas are in Waco again - 30 July, or thereabouts I believe.
    Nice I'll have to start looking into those.

I started reading the rules for the Summer games of Texas and before I finished reading them I was disappointed that I trained too much to be able to participate, but one of the exceptions to the rules was swimmers over 15 yrs old.

but my next hurdle will be participating in a regional meet.....not sure I can do that. Maybe I can get an exemption for that too.

I never knew how hard it was to compete in the US. not just finding a meet, but all the forms, rules etc

Blog Entries

The Summer games are under TAAF rules which are as long as your arm and held in the outdoor bathtub at Waco waterpark. I swam last year with my daughter's summer rec team. It is mainly for the kids, but there were a couple of USMS clubs there and some very fast swimmers! They only do short events though, 50s, 100/200 free and 100IM, but it served to give me the competition bug back and get me some times. The organisers are very nice & helpful though, so don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by couldbebetterfly View Post
    The Summer games are under TAAF rules which are as long as your arm and held in the outdoor bathtub at Waco waterpark. I swam last year with my daughter's summer rec team. It is mainly for the kids, but there were a couple of USMS clubs there and some very fast swimmers! They only do short events though, 50s, 100/200 free and 100IM, but it served to give me the competition bug back and get me some times. The organisers are very nice & helpful though, so don't be afraid to ask any questions.
    I emailed TAAF and got in contact with the Waco region guy Jeff Goodman(??). I can either sign up as unattached or register with the waco wave. since I will be in town for 3-5 weeks I might just sign up for their summer program so I know I have someplace to train. I just hope they have morning practices so it doesn't get in the way of family outings.

it's interesting that the age group is 25-39. it's been 16 yrs since I last raced in yards with the exception of a fun relay last april in Arizona.

Blog Entries

Yep - that 25-39 age group was a bit "different". Fortunately there were a bunch of under 24s there and the 25-39s were all in their 30s so at least I wasn't up against people 10 years younger than me. Still it was a lot of fun, if rather hot. Hope you enjoy your summer swimming!