View Poll Results: How many people are actually USMS members?

Voters
268. You may not vote on this poll
  • USMS member

206 76.87%
  • Masters swimmer, outside US

17 6.34%
  • Less than 19 years old

4 1.49%
  • Older than 19, but not a masters swimmer

41 15.30%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many people are actually USMS members?

Cool How many people are actually USMS members?

I was just curious. I noticed that quite a few posts are from people in the UK, Canada (which is outside the US, technically ), or high school swimmers.

Are people posting here because discussion boards are not available elsewhere? (I haven't looked.) Or is the information quality higher here?

i tried the british amatuer swimming online site and only info available was uk record times.So being inquisitive i set out a search on aol search engine to find any info and here i am .I've learned a lot from this site in only a few days too .

I'm glad you brought up this subject. Can you join USMS, but not belong to a USMS Swim Club? How?

Participating Member jennyfer80's Avatar
    i'm not a member yet. i definetly plan on joing, but not until i am ready for meets, probably early next year. i have questions though
    1. can you swim in meets outside of your zone? like if i become a member of north carolina ms which is in the dixie zone, can i swim in meets in virginia? can i enter in meets by myself? should i just join virginia ms? (there are no teams i want to join in my area)
    2. how do you qualify for national meets? do the times have to be swam in that season?

thats all the questions for now. i'm sure i'll have more later.....

thanks!

Very Active Member
    Yes, you can join unattached. You have to register thru your LSMC. Look it up on the computer. Many of them combine different states. Mine was just one state Arizona.

Originally posted by jennyfer80
    i'm not a member yet. i definetly plan on joing, but not until i am ready for meets, probably early next year. i have questions though
    1. can you swim in meets outside of your zone? like if i become a member of north carolina ms which is in the dixie zone, can i swim in meets in virginia? can i enter in meets by myself? should i just join virginia ms? (there are no teams i want to join in my area)
    2. how do you qualify for national meets? do the times have to be swam in that season?

thats all the questions for now. i'm sure i'll have more later.....

thanks!
    First of all, most Masters swimmers rarely or never enter meets, so you don't have to be "ready" to compete to join USMS. But there really is no such thing, anyway. Swimmers at meets are all levels of ability and the competition is very low key -- there's no reason to be afraid that you're not ready or not competitive.

But to answer the specific questions:

1. Yes, you can enter meets outside your zone (anywhere in the country, in fact) and you can enter by yourself -- you can always register "unattached" (even if you are on a team, usually you would send the entry yourself).

2. You don't actually have to meet any qualifying times to enter Nationals. Any swimmer can enter up to three events, without meeting qualifying times. If you want enter more than three though (up to six), you have to meet qualifying times within the preceding year.

Very Active Member
    Hi ,
    I am from just outside London,UK.The reason that I use this site is purely and simply that it is far superior than anything we have here.I am sure that there are plenty of other UK swimmers that out of frustration have turned to this site.I can honestly say that I have learnt a lot of things that I would never have known if I had stuck to UK sites.It seems that on this site everybody is willing to help others in improving their swimming.This contrasts with the UK.I have found that in the UK if you are not an elite swimmer then coaches tend not be that interested in helping you improve.I just wished that I lived in the US so that I could swim at some of those wonderful outdoor locations while the sun was rising/setting etc. rather than in my claustraphobic local pool.

Very Active Member Gareth Eckley's Avatar
    Mattson

[ Are people posting here because discussion boards are not available elsewhere? (I haven't looked.) Or is the information quality higher here? ]

The answer is that the quality of discussion is far higher here than in the UK. There is a forum in the UK but i have found that there are a number of problems with it.

1 - The 4 moderators are also the main contributors, with over a 1000 posts each. This causes problems as it is really a cosy little club for their views. They also tend to "gang up" and dismiss other viewpoints to their own.

2 - Most posts are 1 line put downs of the
    views of others. There is no interest in really discussing the issues or getting into detail.

3 - In common with the rest of swimming in the UK, which is just coming out of the dark ages of ignoring the importance of technique for the last 20 years ( breaststroke excepted ). There is little understanding or interest in latest technique developments or training improvements on the UK forum.

4 - Here I feel like I am a dentist trying to convince the UK of the importance of dental hygiene and correcting crooked teeth! In short it is an uphill battle here, getting the swim community up to date !

I have learnt so much in my last 6 months of joining this forum. I am aware that I am very much a guest, being from outside the US and I do not want to abuse that privilige.

Last edited by Gareth Eckley; September 25th, 2003 at 09:34 AM.

Originally posted by Gareth Eckley
    I have learnt so much in my last 6 months of joining this forum. I am aware that I am very much a guest, being from outside the US and I do not want to abuse that privilige.
    Howdy Gareth! When I posted originally, I was doing my best to make sure this wasn't a "U.S. versus them" sort of issue. It struck me that this board, although hosted by USMS, was a valuable resource for the *entire* swimming community. I was curious if other people felt that way; it seems so. (I was also fishing for swimming resources that I may have overlooked... )

And considering the interesting discussions that you have started (Michael Phelps article, and too hot pool temperature pop to mind), somehow "(abusing) the privilge" doesn't come to mind.

Very Active Member Peter Cruise's Avatar
    I use this facility 'cause it is the best in the swimming world at mixing content with genuine disagreements with a little humour (our spelling) besides. I believe that since '85 I have competed in as many USNats as CanNats & have made many friends on your side (esp. PNA & Oregon). Celebrate the differences!

I was on a swim team in Sigonella when I was stationed there in the Navy. And we were able to actually swim with the Italians in meets all through Italy as long as we were affiliated with a group. So we all signed up with USMS and it made it real easy. Even won some awards. I wasn't part of the awards cause I was 22 at the time and their age groups started at 25. It was a real good time though.

Kelli,

Very Active Member
    I feel the US emphasizes Freestyle,toomuch-just joking. I'm a breaststroker and its nice to hear about breaststroke being more valued in Europe. That's why the US has never dominated the breast events like they have freestyle. My first coach had a little swim school and she was a top breaststroker during the 1940's from the Netherlands and taught me the glide for breast kick. If I started on the second team I join I might have not been as good at breaststroke and might have quit swimming earlier since I wasn't a natural freestyler.

Very Active Member
    This is an interesting discussion about use of the USMS website and how valuable it may be to non-USMS members, especially those outside the US.

An item that received little discussion at the USMS convention, but was passed by the Coaching Committee and the House of Delegates was to restrict the Workouts Forums to USMS members only. I don't know when or how that will come about, but I can see that this might not be fair to our non-US forum fans.
    Mary Pohlmann

I haven't joined yet because I feel that I haven't gotten to the "level" of practice that Masters teams in my area practice at. I have JUST started swimming again after being out of the pool for 10 years. I think that once I get to the level where I can do a 4000 yard practice I'll join.

Cherie

cherie

Hey- congrat.s on getting back to the pool! IMHO, you don't have to wait till you get to 4000m to join a Ma. team- I joined when I was doing around 2000 m, and it took me 3.5 months to get up to 3500-4000 m practices. As someone else on this forum once said, 'joining is the hardest part'- let the coach take it from there!

peace...

Cherie!

Join, and join NOW!
    I contemplated for couple years before joining, and the only thing I regret now, is tahat I haven't joined 2 years ago, when I first thought of it.

You don't need to do 4000 to join.
    Our team has varied workouts, starting with 1500... up to some people doing double 3000 y workouts.

There is a huge difference between swimming alone, and swimming on a masters team. Swimming with a team is at least 10 time better and more fun, and in my case, I progress much much faster on a team then alone.

Don't be intimidated by the few on the team that are at the top level. You'll find that there are a lot more people close to your level then there are at the top.

Very Active Member
    Masters is cool. I encouraged anyone out there to join. I swim a few meets as an middle age woman and its fun. As a kid it was kind of my dad's idea to start novice and summer swimming at age 12 years old.

Participating Member

Get started now

Yes, I too waited before joining and now I kick myself for it. A friend told me about Masters because I was complaining about the Gym. The last swim meet I had been in was 18 years ago so I was worried, like you Cherie, that I wasn't prepared. When I finally did join all of the worry disappeared after one practice. Now, two years later I can't get enough. I was recently elected to our team's board and I encourage anyone thinking of joining to do so and not worry about their swimming "level." Join the Fun!

Participating Member

Question indoor triathlon question

This is my first time posting a message.

My question is: When compluting swim spit times for indoor triathlons, when does the clock stop?

1. When the participants feet hit the deck of the pool as they get out?
    2. When the particpant touches the wall with fingers at the end of the swim?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Gwen

this is a really friendly site with more info than u can shake a stick at!!!!!if you have any...and i mean any question no matter how small...how insignificant u may think it is..jus post it..you will be that particul;ar items expert after the response...thanx USMS for an advancement in human technology..also thanks to all on here for honest truthful answers..
    live to swim,,,,,swim to live

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast